Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent gun purchase with night sights was shooting a smidge right. I didn't want to send the gun back to the manufacturer, as I'm impatient and I like to try to do things myself, so attempted to drift the front sight myself. I failed, as the front sight was tighter than a tick. In the process I broke the adhesive and the vial came loose.

I purchased a replacement, and had a smith install it. In the process - you guessed it - the adhesive broke and the vial came loose. It looked fine installed, but after 200 rounds the vial was pushed back into the sight from recoil.

The good news is the gun is now zeroed. Yes, I could complain to the smith that did the install, and maybe I'd get a new sight....and then I'd go through the replacement process all over again. So I said screw it. I took some JB weld, plugged the hole and let it dry. Next day I painted the JB Weld white. I noticed the white dot is a lot easier to pick up than the rear night sights. I'm thinking I'll just paint over the rear night sights, too. I'm a guy that likes symmetry.

The half life of tritium is 12.3 years, meaning in 12.3 years the sights will have dimmed 50%. I like this gun (Colt Defender Combat Elite 9mm, to go along with the .45 version) and I'll have it the rest of my life. Seems silly to have the dang sights replaced in 12 - 15 years. White paint is a lot cheaper, too.

I've never been impressed with night sights, and after this episode I'm a "no thanks" on them. Guess I'll never be an "operator," but I can live with that.

·
Registered
33,884 Posts
DayGlo-orange paint works well for me. In dim light they still stand out. In the dark I can't see them, but I can't see the target either, soooo...

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
What I do, that is, if I do a self installation, is leave the rear sight stock, and put on a front-night sight.

All i I want to see is that front sight anyway, unless I am shooting for groups. But I do find it useful.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I use a sight pusher, much easier to make slight changes and less likely to damage tritium vials.
Got to get me one of those.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Sounds like you might take a hiatus from home gunsmithing too! :image035:

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Got to get me one of those.
Get a good one and make sure you can return it. I bought one that was not cheap and was supposed to be "universal." Turned out there was no way to use it on the gun I had. I have taken to just getting a gunsmith to install dovetail night sights. I think would need to be replacing sights on half dozen guns to make a really good pusher worth the expense.

Back to night sights, I took an "Advanced Low Light" course that was one of the best shooting courses I've taken. We started in low light, but progressed to "no light." Think that scene near the end of "Silence of the Lambs." The RSO had to wear NVGs. The instructor told us at the beginning if we didn't have night sights, we were going to have a real problem in the course. Fortunately I did, but those that didn't were asking the instructor to borrow one of his guns halfway through.

What I learned was that fighting at night, your two big advantages are a front night sight and a medium-power handheld flashlight. Lasers, gun mounted lights, super bright flashlights, etc. turned out to be superfluous or even a hindrance in that class. Just MHO.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I use a sight pusher, much easier to make slight changes and less likely to damage tritium vials.
Same here. As with my vehicles, I let no one touch my stuff. @PEF, perhaps you've been lurking lately, but it's good to see you here.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I use high gloss fingernail polish.
On a few of my guns, I've done the same. Easy to touch up, as a bottle lasts "forever"!

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
614 Posts
I dont like night sight either. I much rather have fiber optics for day and low light situations. Think about it in a life and death situation where your heart rate, Adrenalin and nerves are going a million miles a minute I really dont think most people will be able to get a very good sight picture especially with night sights. It will be more like just getting the front sight on target as fast as possible and squeezing of several rounds in quick succession. I think night sights are way over rated and way to expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I've been known to take Glow-On and paint my front sights on the couple weapons that do not have factory night sights. I don't find the night sights particularly harder to see than regular ones in daylight but I do find regular sights a fair bit harder to see in dim light. Bad gun smithing skills by someone you paid is not a great reason to condemn night sights IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried it. So did the smith. Had to resort to a vise, a big hammer, and an aluminum punch. Colt puts them in tight.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I use to think I had to have night sights on all of my carry guns, but I've come to realize that as I get older and my eyesight keeps deteriorating, I can't see those night sights very well in the day light, which just happens to be when I do 100% of my shooting. Both the indoor and outdoor range are very well lit.

I use traffic cone orange nail polish on my revolvers that don't have replaceable sights and can see those very well. I even took the XS night sight off of my favorite carry gun (2.25" sp101) and put the black ramp that came on it, back on, and painted it. Wish I would have done it years ago.

Like I said, I do all my shooting in well lit conditions, might as well be able to see my front sights better. If I ever need to actually shoot someone at night, I'll just rely on my point shooting, which I do a lot of dry fire practice at home with a crimson trace laser, shooting light switches and what not. I also carry a flashlight in my weak hand pocket that I can use to illuminate my sights and the BG with, if needed past bad breath distance.

So I am done wasting money on night sights that I can't see when I'm actually using them. They sure look pretty laying on the night stand at night though, I will admit.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
The first rifle I was issued was an M1. The second was an M14. The third was an M16. The only pistol I was ever issued was an M1911. None of then had night sights. I had to use the M14, M16, and the M1911 at night in battle. I do not use night sights or fluorescent plaint on my sights, and I do not feel insecure for one second in the darkness. Night sights make it easier to see your sights, but they do not make it easier to see your target. If you have enough light to see your target, you have enough light to employ your sights. Silhouette aiming is what it is called.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I use to think I had to have night sights on all of my carry guns, but I've come to realize that as I get older and my eyesight keeps deteriorating, I can't see those night sights very well in the day light, which just happens to be when I do 100% of my shooting.
I have experienced the same. I got them installed on my XD, and it took me a few months to regain my proficiency with sighted shooting, with the reduced visibility of the dots on the rear sight in a well-lit range.

The only positive to that is that, out of necessity, I started emphasizing point shooting a lot more, and I've made great strides with that...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
What I do, that is, if I do a self installation, is leave the rear sight stock, and put on a front-night sight.

All i I want to see is that front sight anyway, unless I am shooting for groups. But I do find it useful.
Same here...I like that night front sight.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts