Defensive Carry banner

I Don't understand.

673 views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  WrongRecroom 
#1 ·
Recently I began to look at D.A. 22 revolvers. I am blown away at the high prices these things are going for. I see prices that average from 550.00 to over 700.00 for a basic gun. Sure you can get a single action for a lot less but I would like to pick up a new D.A. for plinking. I have other 22's that I can use for that but just looking for something a little different. How can gun manufactures charge so much for these guns? Do they cost that much more to make? You can buy a good 1911 or even a AR for less than what they want for a D.A 22 revolver. What makes these guns so expensive? You can even buy a .38 or 357 for less than what they are charging for these 22's. I have looked on Gun broker and Arms list. I have even searched the LGS and pawn shops around here, but everywhere you go the prices are through the roof. I would accept a used gun in good condition or even a off brand gun if I could find one. I will not pay these prices for a gun that serves no other purpose than punching holes in paper. I just do not understand why they cost so much. :confused: Thanks for letting me vent.

#2 ·
I've always thought they were comparatively priced compared to their center fire counterparts. Unless you go with a SA Heritage Arms.
Basically it's the same metal, same tooling... maybe more tooling as 22's usually shoot 8-10.
Maybe the poly semi-automatics with their blowback action have you thinking a 22 revolver should cost less.

#3 ·
If you want to be shocked by .22 DA revolver prices check out a Colt Diamondback or Trooper in .22:frown: It makes a regular .38 Diamondback look like a bargain!

#5 ·
DA revolvers have more complex mechanisms and require more precision machining and fitting than autos. This includes a greater number of chambers for most .22's.

#9 ·
I would agree with maxwell97 except for one thing. As I said you can buy other revolvers in other calibers such as 38 and 357 for much less than the 22. I have some machining experience,( I used to build generators for nuclear power plants, we often worked to close tolerances such as +.0002/-.0000) and I find it hard to believe that just adding a few holes would raise the price that much.

#10 ·
The ammo was (once) dirt cheap. Hence, the users were (once) plentiful. The market & manufacturer competition drive to price both down AND up. You're gonna' have to bargain hunt. Maybe an H&R (break-top) or a High Standard Sentinel? :yup:

#11 ·
Just looked at a pathfinder on Buds website . this does look like an option I may consider. I have a bid in on gun broker for a S&W but I feel sure I will not win it, I have already been outbid twice. The H&R or the High Standard would be good if you could find one. Oh well, some folks say the hunt is part of the fun.

#12 ·
Recently I began to look at D.A. 22 revolvers. I am blown away at the high prices these things are going for. I see prices that average from 550.00 to over 700.00 for a basic gun. Sure you can get a single action for a lot less but I would like to pick up a new D.A. for plinking. I have other 22's that I can use for that but just looking for something a little different. How can gun manufactures charge so much for these guns? Do they cost that much more to make? You can buy a good 1911 or even a AR for less than what they want for a D.A 22 revolver. What makes these guns so expensive? You can even buy a .38 or 357 for less than what they are charging for these 22's. I have looked on Gun broker and Arms list. I have even searched the LGS and pawn shops around here, but everywhere you go the prices are through the roof. I would accept a used gun in good condition or even a off brand gun if I could find one. I will not pay these prices for a gun that serves no other purpose than punching holes in paper. I just do not understand why they cost so much. :confused: Thanks for letting me vent.
Years ago I had the bolded explained to me by a custom manufacturer, actually the companies CEO at the time who was a national champion while I visited the company in Cody, WY. I was ordering a custom WIN 1885 Low-Wall reproduction .22LR from Ballard Rifle and Cartridge that was cost a little over $4500 at the time (same basic price as two of their centerfire rifles I'd previously ordered). The rifle although "just a .22LR" went through the same exact process as their centerfire rifles, major differences were the size of the hole in the barrel, the extractor and the firing pin, everything else, stock work, hand fitting etc. was the same.

So, yea I do expect a rimfire pistol/revolver to cost the same as a centerfire as long as they're made to the same standards.

Chuck

#13 ·
Shop used and be patient. I picked up an old Iver Johnson 8 shot .22 DA revolver a few years back for $150. Yes, you have to pull the pin to load, but so what?

The NAA Mini revolvers in .22 LR are about $200.

#15 ·
Look at the older guns ..H&R and the like the old sears and roebuck guns ...Sometimes they can be found cheep under 300 bucks ...Not high class match guns for the most part but most are study and tend to work ... I have used one of the old break tops and for what it is it works

Reactions: msgt/ret
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.