Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I'm mostly a lurker here, but have been immersed in guns and shooting for 30 years. Love the site! My post is about what some of you have to do to get a concealed carry permit. I can't believe the hoops you have to jump through or the wait time for some of you. Where I live, you go to the Sheriff's office, fill out a one page paper, pay your $20, they run your background check right there, take your pic, print out your ccp card and you're out in 15 mins. I wish you all had it that easy....considering it is a right of yours! Thanks again for the great site!

·
Registered
37,051 Posts
Must be slow at your sheriff's department. Must be nice also!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
In case I missed it when you first posted, Welcome from Memphis. That's amazing. In Tennessee, you have to take an 8 hour class (about 80 bucks), make application with the DMV (115 bucks), get fingerprinted (free) and wait anywhere from 45-90 days. Mine was issued on the 90th day because it is a "shall issue" state and they have 90 days by statute.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must be slow at your sheriff's department. Must be nice also!
In PA, Sheriff's offices don't have arrest rights anymore...although some are challenging that and getting them re-instituted. I don't know if that allows more free time or not, but I am certainly thankful that we have it as easy as we do.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
In PA, Sheriff's offices don't have arrest rights anymore...although some are challenging that and getting them re-instituted. I don't know if that allows more free time or not, but I am certainly thankful that we have it as easy as we do.
Come again?? :confused:
H/D

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Took me almost all of the 90 days to get mine, and I was lucky because I applied last year before all the mess in CO and CT. My wife is trying to apply and all the appointments are booked for the next three months.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
What possible good is a LEO without arrest powers? That is concept I just don't understand.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee.......the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff!"

·
Administrator
143,701 Posts
It used to be that way in Allegheny County in PA. but, now there are so many applicants that it is slightly more of a P.I.T.A. and requires 2 trips into the downtown Sheriffs office.

Before Pennsylvania went "Shall Issue" a person used to have to sit down and interview with the County Sheriff and then he would decide if you were good looking enough to carry concealed. Of course he signed off on me right away. :rofl:

Then you would get cut sheet of white XEROX paper with your name/address/etc on it plus the signature of the Sheriff...and that was your license to carry concealed.
You had to get it laminated right away or it would fall apart in your wallet after a couple of months.

Now we get spiffy plastic photo ID cards.

Welcome to the forum. :usflag:

·
Registered
158 Posts
In VA, the easiest method is by way of an online certificate. Although, I'm kind of against it and believe everyone needs to take a safety course and do some range time.

- $30 online certificate by watching a safety video (optional) then 20 (multiple choice!) question test.
- $50 court processing fee for application and background check
- Wait 45 days (they cannot take longer than 45 days; after which you can go back and obtain a temporary license).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wyoming is a PITA. Mostly due to an inefficient process.

First you must have proof of training - hunters safety card is the most common - proof of military or law enforcement service - CCW training class etc. Then you visit the local sheriff to pick up the multi part form and a schedule of when and where it's possible to get your fingerprinting. Go home and spend an hour filling out the form. Next go to one of the law enforcement offices when they are doing fingerprinting and pay $5 a card. Then back to the SO to turn in your app and pay the $74 fee. They hand you the back page of the form and you go to the DMV to get your photo taken. It's hard enough if you live in a county seat but if you are unlucky enough to live in a small rural area you probably end up making multiple road trips.

Then the wait begins - (in my case 76 days) up to 90 days. Finally you get a letter that your permit is ready and you must go back to the SO (again) and show ID to pick up the card.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
You've got it pretty easy in PA. A very easy application process, very few places you can't carry, and guns signs don't have the force of law. I'd like to see Texas streamline the permit process and speed it up and I'd also like to make the 30.06 signs obsolete.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Is it just warrantless arrests they can't do??? What does a sheriff or Deputies do if they can't bring in the bad guys?
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lucky you. From what I hear, in Louisiana, most people waited about 2 weeks to get a CHP after dropping off the paperwork.

Since O's re-election and the shootings, Louisiana State Police have been overwhelmed. Today makes 16 weeks that I've been waiting to get my DHP. Dropped off the application on Feb. 1st.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it just warrantless arrests they can't do??? What does a sheriff or Deputies do if they can't bring in the bad guys?
From what I understand they just serve warrants for the courts and run the county jail. I don't know exactly what they do, but they don't do criminal arrests or tickets or whatever else. I have a friend who is running for sheriff in my county right now. He was telling me that if elected the first thing he will do is try to restore the sheriff's office arrest authorities. Maybe someone more educated on the subject in PA can chime in.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
From what I understand they just serve warrants for the courts and run the county jail. I don't know exactly what they do, but they don't do criminal arrests or tickets or whatever else. I have a friend who is running for sheriff in my county right now. He was telling me that if elected the first thing he will do is try to restore the sheriff's office arrest authorities. Maybe someone more educated on the subject in PA can chime in.
Sounds like a good place to open a donut shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts