Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but here goes. For a long time the nearest WM and the second closest had police officers doing extra duty there, along with a mellow private security force, driving a nice white 4-door sedan with lights and lettering. The second closest then stopped employing off-duty, extra-duty officers and replaced the private security with a more, um, militaristic security firm. They drive a black jacked up pickup, wear their black tactical pant cuffs inside their black combat boots (extra long so they kind of lay over the top of the boots), and black shirts. You know the scenes in movies were the pedestrians have to jump out of the way of the moron driving fast and furious? Yup, that's them. I've also seen them nearly run into customer's cars as they barrel through the parking lot. Police cadet rejects! Needless to say, I rarely go there anymore.

Guess what! I was at the closest WM and the black jacked up pickup is there! Sigh. Not going to be a pleasant place to shop anymore. They security firm they now have is unsafe. Not exactly what one wants around while shopping. I won't be stopping in there for snacks anymore. I'll only be going there when I NEED something, not to spend some time looking around.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
There can be huge bucks in security theater.
Most visible security is for show.

Been part of that many times. Have worked with some really good professional officers and some complete squirrels.
The squirrels make for great theater, but I don't want to be anywhere near them when things get serious.
Then there is the over the top tactical uniformed security that screams "look at me!" that provides the distraction for the true security officers.

For truly effective security, there needs to be both visible and behind the scenes security in place.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Tell you WM manager, in person, that the goons in black make you less likely to shop there. WM takes input better than most companies.

·
Registered
34,001 Posts
OP must look like a serious threat to draw that much security attention.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Addendum: I was in a store yesterday and while waiting in the checkout lane (one employee, lots of customers) and the conversation turned to the security at the second closest WM and they saw the gestapo style security cause an accident. No surprise there. They drive and expect everybody to jump out of the way. Megalomaniacs. Too bad it was AFTER I spoke to the manager of the closest store.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Addendum: I was in a store yesterday and while waiting in the checkout lane (one employee, lots of customers) and the conversation turned to the security at the second closest WM and they saw the gestapo style security cause an accident. No surprise there. They drive and expect everybody to jump out of the way. Megalomaniacs. Too bad it was AFTER I spoke to the manager of the closest store.
The district manager needs to hear from you, in writing. The customer service desk will have a name and address. The website may, too.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Most people will probably look at the expensive big trucks and be impressed, thinking it somehow translated to well trained people. After all, in the movies it usually does.

·
Super Moderator
16,165 Posts
Y’all must have Wal-Marts a lot different than we have around here, I have 3 within 15 miles of here and I never hear of any problems. There are a few convenience stores in town on the other hand that keeps the local PD quite busy though.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
I don't visit WM except for necessity, but even then I have yet to not see at least a couple of open carrying vets in my local WM. I don't have a problem with that kind of security.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I went to the local WalMart recently and was surprised to see a local uniformed police officer standing post inside the door by the register stands. This is not a huge city, but our local cops make around $50K-plus, so this is a significant expense for a show of security. Cop recognized me as a retired cop, I commented that this (old man with a gallon of milk and a few groceries hobbling out with my cane) was what he had to look forward to in retirement.

There are 3 WalMart stores here in town. So 3 city cops are taken off regular assignments to stand around a (24-hour per day) store (so 9 patrolmen unavailable for other calls) just because some whacko somewhere did a stupid thing at a WalMart? Nine times $50K is $450,000 per year, plus retirement, plus benefits!

Knee jerk reaction at best. Total waste of public resources at worst. If someone really wants to shoot up a WalMart (instead of a post office, or a school, or other gun-free zone) guess who the first target is likely to be? Probably before he can hit the panic switch on his hand-held radio.

Rant over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts