Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a fullsized G.I. Im probaby get new sights. Mabe a bevertail saftey. I cant wait to get a chance to shoot this baby!

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Be forwarned, they (1911's) have a way of multipling. One is just never enough. Good choice for a first 1911, I opted for the mil-spec, just for the better sights and the lowered ejection port for my first. I have sent over 3,000 rounds down range with my SA and haven't hade one single problem.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
ohh you poor man.
you have entered the 1911 fantasy land.
more mod's than you can think of. constant acquiring of more.
Loss of control. Probably a divorce, unless she succumbs too.
your children going hungary so you have a ready supply of ammo.
It's so horrible it becomes simply WONDERFUL

AFS

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Shucks - this ''Slabside-itis'' is gettin' outa hand in this har place!!!

I gotta keep the pot boilin' for the ''alternatives'' :biggrin:

That aside Greg - most pleased for ya :smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You'll definitely need a beavertail grip safety. The factory grip safety on those GI models have very sharp edges. It's guaranteed to leave its mark on you.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Congats! Once you take thin gal to the prom, there's no turning back.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"Alternatives"??
They Exist?
Can't be.
There are others but they're not Alternatives, they're "others"
And we won't ever discuss Plastic.

AFS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Shoot it before you decide on "add-ons." Some folks (like me) are lucky enough that the standard grip safety & 1911 spur hammer have never caused any discomfort. Only change what needs changing!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Ahhhh! GREAT selection.... Like the Forumites say.watch out.......those 1911s breeed Very easily... you'll get a few more before you know it..

·
Registered
868 Posts
Good chice and the very best to you on your new shooter. Go really slow on any changes, just a friendly input. Good shooting.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Great gun. Mine has about 2,000 rounds through it. I decided to keep the sights - they are small but I got used to them. The hammer bit me at first but I now have a nice callous so no more problems.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My opinion is that there is alot of good things on the standard 1911 and allot of bad things. By bad I mean to say things that I don't personally like. These things I change. Go to a range,gunshows,gunshops,or anywhere the 1911's hang out and touchie-feelie as many as you can. You will see things to change and things to keep the same. IMHO for a CCW weapon you don't have to change very many. That will be up to you. If you do change some parts of the weapon,it will be fun doing and seeing the results. Good luck with your weapon and let us know what the final results are.----------

·
Registered
950 Posts
scbair said:
Shoot it before you decide on "add-ons." Some folks (like me) are lucky enough that the standard grip safety & 1911 spur hammer have never caused any discomfort. Only change what needs changing!
I agree, I have a milspec and the only thing I have done to it is hogue grips. That I am thinking about changing. I will tell you this though. Expect two things when you pull the trigger. A trip through time experiencing what every soldier who has carried the weapon felt as he squeezed off a few( man I need to go shoot that thing) and instant, I mean, instant toe curledge..... :eek: "Was that good for you, yes sir! may I have another."

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
AirForceShooter said:
"Alternatives"??
They Exist?
Can't be.
There are others but they're not Alternatives, they're "others"
And we won't ever discuss Plastic.

AFS
There are 2 types of handguns, 1911's and those who want to be 1911's.
IMHO they are the most comfertable sidearm there is, and they have timeless good looks. I like the commander model for CCW better than the 5", but many many people here cary the full size on a daily basis. Another thing, my SA is very finicky on the mags it likes, I heard the GI's are too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bruce,

I haven't experienced that with my GI. I've tried several 'cheap' mags as well as some higher dollar magazines. They all functioned flawlessly.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
joe/OH said:
Bruce,

I haven't experienced that with my GI. I've tried several 'cheap' mags as well as some higher dollar magazines. They all functioned flawlessly.
Huh, seems like the only mags I can get to work all the time everytime is the 2 that came with the gun.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Argh!!!!! Im not even at the range yet and Im having problems!

Im going to try to get to the range to test this gun tomorrow. So today I decided to field strip and clean it. The Barrel bushing is VERY tight. At first I was dumb, and put a wrench to it. Of course it lost grip of the bushing and very slightly marred the tip of the barrel. Thank god the crown is o.k.! I then used a dowel and hammer to tap the bushing clockwise. After a thorough cleaning, I thought the bushing would work smoothly. Wrong! This sucker still doesn't wanna work.

Now Im frustrated. Im going to put this project away for a few minutes.

Is it normal to have a super tight bushing? Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts