Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two calibers under strong consideration are 223/556 & 5.45x39mm
Two Platforms that are under strong considerations are the Colt LE6920 & Vepr AK74

Seeing and reading Youtube reviews and Blogs I came up with this conclusion. Within 200 yds the 556 can be equally as devastating as the 5.45mm. I guess the limitations put upon the 5.56 to perform effectively (yaw and fragment) is velocity whereas the 5.45 will yaw regardless of velocity. I would think that 200 yds would be plenty using the rifle in an SHTF situation which the 5.56 could handle, correct? What is kind of troubling for me is this, I have read that there are times the 5.56 will not fragment even if it meets the minimum velocity of 2500fps, so it's not a guarantee which to me is kind of unsettling. Bear in mind, both calibers have the ability to kill out to 300+ yds as long as you do your part, I get that. But, if stopping the threat is your goal than any advantage that one caliber can offer over the other is what I look for.

As far as accuracy, that would probably go towards the 5.56 but really, out to 200 yds, we're splitting hairs? It wouldn't be enough difference to sway me to either caliber.

So to me, the advantage of ammo availability goes towards the 5.56. So, am I answering my own question? I dunno but I know I am very close to making my decision. You might say that over the last 2 or 3 weekend I have sorted through the weeds and now I have narrowed my selection down. Would like to thank you folks for chiming in when you saw a reason...

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
For me, using a rifle that has common parts, and a common caliber is a big advantage for anything more than a just a neat toy.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Rhodie, we had supreme confidence that you, given time & our best recon, would make the wise & prudent choice.

Well thought-out! :congrats:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me, using a rifle that has common parts, and a common caliber is a big advantage for anything more than a just a neat toy.
Yes, and how much support for the AK-74 regarding parts and ammo is there? I know people keep saying that ammo availability will surely grow but outside of SGAMMO and it a few other vendors (with very very limited choices), and a commercial manufacturer i.e. Hornady (kudos to them), that's it. Not sure how long the AK 74 has been made available to us consumers but I think it has been longer than 10 years, right? Kind of makes you think, when are they going to begin ramping up production and availability of the 5.45? Are we going to have to wait another 10 years before availability becomes acceptable? Just makes ya think, gives me pause a bit but not sure its enough to sway me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rhodie, we had supreme confidence that you, given time & our best recon, would make the wise & prudent choice.

Well thought-out! :congrats:
Do I detect a little sarcasm? A lot to know and research. A lot different than grabbing your HK, Glock etc and be confident in your main bullet manufacturers that the bullet will be effective within range. This is an entirely different platform, different animal and that is for sure.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
My suggestion : Buy a nice PSA lower (a nice enhanced triggere magpull one is under 300 bucks or heck 100 for a basic or so ) and you will have that covered when you get the money get a cheep 200-300 upper from PSA just to have ..And that way you can get both your AK74 and AR ...

The only thing as I mentioned before with the Veper is it is RPK pattern on the handguns so a minior bit of work will be needed to use AKM handguns and it is not as easy to just throw another bolt and such into a AK74 as they will needed fitting and headspacing ..But they last a lot longer then the AR I would bet so that is the other flip of that

Mags for the AK74 have gotten down at least SGA just had them dirt cheep ....

Most company now carry 74 ammo if at least Red army of such ..Cablas does and others ...But yes you are right other then Hornday there is little to no Domstic source and I think Hornday uses russian cassing for there 74 stuff ...

So if long tearm ammo is your worry 74 is still cheep and buy a lot or go AK47 which will have domsict (if more pricy ) ammo no matter what as a lot of guns made here use it ... Though I doubth we will see a major ammo issues other then maybe price going up a little bit with the current pres

Reactions: Rhodie2

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
Yes, and how much support for the AK-74 regarding parts and ammo is there? I know people keep saying that ammo availability will surely grow but outside of SGAMMO and it a few other vendors (with very very limited choices), and a commercial manufacturer i.e. Hornady (kudos to them), that's it. Not sure how long the AK 74 has been made available to us consumers but I think it has been longer than 10 years, right? Kind of makes you think, when are they going to begin ramping up production and availability of the 5.45? Are we going to have to wait another 10 years before availability becomes acceptable? Just makes ya think, gives me pause a bit but not sure its enough to sway me.
The Russians designed the 5.45 round to be cheap and nasty. They succeeded on both counts, so what motivation do American manufacturers have to come up with costlier ammo that won't perform any better at what it is for?

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
The Russians designed the 5.45 round to be cheap and nasty. They succeeded on both counts, so what motivation do American manufacturers have to come up with costlier ammo that won't perform any better at what it is for?
Ext and to add the only reason we are even seening so many non corrsive offers for it is the 7n6 ban before that is was not worth it for Tula and others to bother importing ak74 ammo but now are as 7n6 is up in price ..

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
Ext and to add the only reason we are even seening so many non corrsive offers for it is the 7n6 ban before that is was not worth it for Tula and others to bother importing ak74 ammo but now are as 7n6 is up in price ..
Yes, and availability is not an issue:
5.45x39mm ammo rifle

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike, Like your Logic... :hand16:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Do I detect a little sarcasm? A lot to know and research. A lot different than grabbing your HK, Glock etc and be confident in your main bullet manufacturers that the bullet will be effective within range. This is an entirely different platform, different animal and that is for sure.
Nope, no sarcasm at all. I was agreeing with you! Been following your decision-making process on multiple threads. Yet, for the record, I DO trust HKs, GLOCKs, Hornady & Speer...(almost) universally. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, no sarcasm at all. I was agreeing with you! Been following your decision-making process on multiple threads. Yet, for the record, I DO trust HKs, Glocks, Hornady & Speer...(almost) universally. :biggrin2:
Well thanks, throw in Sig (Luv my 229ca)and we'll call it a day...:bigdeal:

(side note: I have watched so many youtube's which I am certain you have to if you are any sort of aficionado that you begin watching reruns of the same videos, lol.)

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
(side note: I have watched so many youtube's which I am certain you have to if you are any sort of aficionado that you begin watching reruns of the same videos, lol.)
Here's a shocker my friend. I don't watch YouTube. Nor do I Facebook, Tweet or twerk. I drink very fine Kentucky-distilled spirits, enjoy a large family & small circle of friends, laugh easily, anger slowly and shoot multiple-thousands of round annually. And, IMHO, +95% of the world's population would be wise to trade places with me on...any given day. :king:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts