Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Warning this may be a long story, but I have to share.

So on my way home from work traffic was terrible so I stopped of at a local LGS that I do not usually find myself near. I figured I would meander and maybe pick up something small if I found something. I perused the holsters, then the knives, and found my way to handgun counter. The first thing i noticed was their gun prices were all over the place ..... 500 bucks for a used 9mm shield was eh, but 419 for a bersa thunder .380.... i dont think so. Their glocks were overpriced even more...so as I am standing their, a mid twenties kid comes to the counter get a glock they were holding for him.

Now Im not one to eavesdrop, but i listened in out of boredom. Apparently someone tried to break into the guys GF's apt and now he was impulse buying out of fear with no homework or knowledge based on the questiuons he was asking. He was picking up a used G19 gen 3... a great gun for sure, but not 600 dollars plus great !!!!! The salemen then tried to talk him into an HK of some kind at 1k, and the kid was not into it. So back to the glock......
the kid needs some defensive ammo so the guy pulls out a bunch of overpriced critical duty... now say what you want, but it is proven the critical duty does not perform well out of short barrels, as it was designed for 4 inch or longer...... oh yeah.... they wanted 40 bucks a box.... the other "cheaper and not good stuff" according to the salesmen was some Hornady xtp fodder..... not good? oh ...it was 32 bucks a box for 20... ??????

So at this point I interrupted before they took this poor kid through the cleaners ands into the frying pan and politely informed him they were ripping him off with a way over priced gun and rediculous ammo prices. The salesmen was fit to be tied I must say. Needless to say i continued to point out the flaws in other points of the guys "sales" speach...... glocks are unreliable? they jam...etc.... trying to push him into a gun he couldnt afford. So i said my piece in the face of such horrible crap and poor sales practices. Was I out of line? yep. Do I care? not in the least.... and I wouldnt hesitate to do so again. These are the sorry people that are making things more complicated than they need to be....... oh yeah I went in looking for 38 spcl ball they wanted 34 bucks for 50 rnds of american eagle ball..... since they took it out of a Midway USA box right in front of me I know they paid 20 bucks per 50 at the most.... I googled it.

So to wrap it up... they asked me to leave... and i gladly did. no one ever raised their voices or got hostile but I dont think they like me..... so scam artist and rip off chumos beware..... I am on the prowl :aargh4:

Ok im done venting...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good deal glad you saved tge kid money I never had a jam in my glock and didn't pay 600 for it either some nevers guy at the counter was a jerk

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Nothing on their door says they have the right to screw somone. Being a more experienced shooter, they should have recognized that
you were potentially a better long term customer than the kid they were hosing....but the almighty dollar in the hand today got the better of them.
Their loss. I would have done the same thing you did..........and this is the same reason I never go to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain anymore. I just couldn't listen to the drivel coming out of the mouths of the "gun experts" behind the counter. I never interrupted any of their sales pitches, but did pull a couple of customers aside and let them know the real story after the gurus were down with their volume of B.S.

I think there should be a category on this forum for members to rate their local gun stores. I used to buy from about four stores locally. I'm down to one.
The other three will never see my business again even if they were giving away free guns and ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing on their door says they have the right to screw somone. Being a more experienced shooter, they should have recognized that
you were potentially a better long term customer than the kid they were hosing....but the almighty dollar in the hand today got the better of them.
Their loss. I would have done the same thing you did..........and this is the same reason I never go to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain anymore. I just couldn't listen to the drivel coming out of the mouths of the "gun experts" behind the counter. I never interrupted any of their sales pitches, but did pull a couple of customers aside and let them know the real story after the gurus were down with their volume of B.S.

I think there should be a category on this forum for members to rate their local gun stores. I used to buy from about four stores locally. I'm down to one.
The other three will never see my business again even if they were giving away free guns and ammo.
the sad part is they had a shield that was calling my name, and I was listening very intently to its siren song....... as far as knowing if i would be a knowledgable customer, i dont think they cared.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with what you did but I disagree with critical duty not being good out of a g19 tnoutdoors did a test with that ammo out of a g19 with good results.
I tried it in my both my SR40C and my G22..... it worked well in the G22 but I was unhappy with it in the SR40C..... and if you research it i am not the only who has had documented issues with the ctitical duty in shorter barrels. But if it works for you then there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
..... since they took it out of a Midway USA box right in front of me I know they paid 20 bucks per 50 at the most.... I googled it.
Yep, this is where the ammo is going. Stores and individuals with deep pockets snatch it all up in one gulp and double or triple the price to us that dont have deep pockets.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I've listened to a lot of crappy sales pitches in gun shops before, but never have "corrected" them in their store. On a couple of occasions when someone was looking at a gun that I happen to have I have shared my personal opinion of said weapon based on my experience (good experiences). I can't blame you for helping the kid out, but I probably wouldn't say anything myself unless he had asked me my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I were the kid, I would've appreciated it. I think what you did was right. I work in retail and I'm sorry, I can't just sit there and straight lie to someone's face like that. Glocks jam often? Ha. Wow.

·
Super Moderator
18,256 Posts
I think it shows an incredible lack of respect.

What ever price the owner chooses to place on his gun is no concern of yours. If you don't like it, then don't buy it, its simple. Just turn around and walk out.

So at this point I interrupted before they took this poor kid through the cleaners ands into the frying pan and politely informed him they were ripping him off with a way over priced gun and rediculous ammo prices.
Interrupted a conversation that you did not like that you admitted to eavesdropping on. Great.
In your opinion it was overpriced. Not his, if he was willing to pay.

Was I out of line? yep. Do I care? not in the least.... and I wouldnt hesitate to do so again
Who buys what in a store that you don't own should be no concern of yours.

So you admit that you were out of line, again, this shows an incredible lack of respect. How they sell their ammo should be no concern of yours. Where they bought their ammo should be no concern of yours.

but I dont think they like me..... so scam artist and rip off chumos beware..... I am on the prowl
So you are basically a gun shop commando that knows better than everyone that works there. That's great. With "friends" like that, who needs enemy's?

Of course, this is just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Good for you for speaking your mind. And helping the kid not get ripped off. So many people get ripped out without knowing because they don't do their research before buying.

Reactions: Fisher10

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it shows an incredible lack of respect.
I think what the salesman was doing was disrespectful. Profiteering through unethical practices is disrespectful. It's like a mechanic trying to convince a soccer mom she needs an engine overhaul when she only needs a radiator flush and an oil change.

So you are basically a gun shop commando that knows better than everyone that works there. That's great. With "friends" like that, who needs enemy's?
Apparently he did know more than everyone that worked there. If someone who is knowledgeable shares his wisdom and helps me avoid being price raped like the OP did, I would gladly call him a friend. As a shooting community we need to help each other. Part of the reason ammo prices are so high are the clueless people buying $35/50 boxes of 9mm FMJ. They just don't know any better.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would hope someone would speak up if I was young and naive and getting taken advantage of. That being said i would not spend hundreds of dollars without doing research first thus eliminating naive-ness and I'm already 30 y/o so there goes being young. Good job IMO

Fla CWFL holder
NRA member
Ruger LCP EDC

·
Registered
234 Posts
In your opinion it was overpriced. Not his, if he was willing to pay.
You know if we were discussing someone that had an inkling about what he was about to purchase, I would agree. However, faced with a seemingly ignorant gentleman about to plop down 6 bills, my own ethical compass would be spinning on it's ends. Who knows, he may have bought the thing anyway, however I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't speak up when someone is about to get taken to the cleaners.

If your interested, I have a nice S&W .38spcl I'll sell ya for $900.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
In a free market system, they are in business to make a profit. The store owner has to pay his help, his overhead, and have enough at the end of the day to take care of his family. He is free to price his merchandise at whatever amount he wants regardless of his cost and people are free to either buy it or go elsewhere. If people are willing to pay it, fine. If not, the market will self-correct his prices to a point where merchandise sells.

Personally, I have a local gun shop that I am willing to pay a little more because of great service. If I have any issue at all, they take care of it. They don't gouge their regular customer base and have built loyalty. Sure, I could save a little bit at some other places, but in the end it's not worth it to me. And I go right by there to and from work, so the convenience has value to me too.

Like I said before, I'm not inclined to go into someone else's establishment and criticize them. If I'm there window shopping and another customer asks me my opinion of a given gun, price, etc. then I may share my thoughts in a very low key manner (i.e. "they seem to be awfully proud of their stuff given their prices") but I wouldn't do it in front of the store folks and especially not inject myself into their business.

In my own negotiations I have asked what their best price was, even asked if they would take x for something, but have also learned if you say, "I can get it for X on gunbroker" they will most likely say, "then buy it from gunbroker."

Where I lived before I had a great relationship with a local pawn shop owner. He shot me straight and I sent him a lot of business. To him, he would rather make a little fast than more later. Quick margin was king to him, that's why I stopped in every couple days. I got great deals on stuff that he had in his shop less than 1 hour. He would tell me what he had in it and what he had to have for it. Sometimes we made a deal and sometimes we didn't.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Only you can answer to whether it was wrong or right. If I was the young kid(I was at one time:smile:) I would have appreciated it. It pays to research your own information when making purchases or anything else, alot of pplz are lazy and don't want to and some just don't know how. The evolution of the internet has made it remarkably easier to research any kind of info that you want but you still have to be careful and make sure the info is correct.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I would hope someone would speak up if I was young and naive and getting taken advantage of. That being said i would not spend hundreds of dollars without doing research first thus eliminating naive-ness and I'm already 30 y/o so there goes being young. Good job IMO

Fla CWFL holder
NRA member
Ruger LCP EDC
Entirely off topic. I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Oh to be 30 again! Thank you for the chuckles...

Okay, back on topic...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.