Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know one of you has tried to explain it to me but when I got my .40 Glock 27 I was told that the case head was not supported??? Can someone please explain what this means please? I took it apart right next to my Ruger and the barrell design for the most part is alike. Just a little help for a layman ok.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Case head support refers to that portion of a cartridge case that is surrounded and support by metal from the chamber of the barrel. A barrels' support of a cartridge case where the feed ramp is what worries most folks especially when high-pressure ammo is used (especially with Glocks) since there is less metal....hence, less "support."

Here's a page out of esteemed Stephen A. Camp's website. Look towards the last 1/3'd of the page and you'll see photos of 9mm cartridges in the chamber of Glocks and Mr. C's discussion of case head support:

www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical Look at the Glock 17.htm

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
basically if you take both barrels out of guns and put a live round in each barrela nd look at what would be the 6 o clock postion you will notice the glock have a wider belly i guess you would call it and doesnt fit as tight as the ruger does

You wont really run into a problem unless you are reloading for this gun Factory ammo should be fine and i mean factory not remanufactured ammo unless its from blackhills..

Thats where most people with 40 cal glocks get into trouble is reman ammo .. then lead bullets is another area

Btw its not sharpest tool in the shed at least thats my fav to use

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
look at a empty casimg from both guns. you will see a slight bulge on the Glock casing (maybe)_near the case rim.

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Don't know why some shooters use poorly reloaded, cheap budget crap ammo and ultra hot loads in the .40 GLOCK and then complain when they have problems. :confused:

·
Registered
791 Posts
QKShooter said:
Don't know why some shooters use poorly reloaded, cheap budget crap ammo and ultra hot loads in the .40 GLOCK and then complain when they have problems. :confused:
Because they're not the sharpest crayon in the shed?

I have a Glock 23 with maybe 500 rounds through it. No problems. But like recommended I only use factory ammo.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot guys. You have set me straight. I am using remington 165 grain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts