Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning ladies and gents,
I went to my LGS yesterday for some browsing and found a Glock 43 on consignment from a LEO. For those who are not aware of the laws of Kalifornia, only a LEO can buy a Glock 43 (new in box) in this Republik. However, a LEO can sell this gun (or many others like it) to anyone he pleases if they agree on a price. This includes consignments.

So anyway, I walk into my LGS, and having been looking for a consigned G43 for quite some time, that was the first thing I saw. I asked the sales guy if it was in fact a 43 (vs a 42) and if it was on consignment for sale. The answers were yes, and yes, so I said "I'll take it!" He said, "not so fast...look at the price first...". Long story short, it turns out that this LEO buys everything that only LEOs can buy, and then does not shoot one of them, and puts it up for consignment a few months later. The price? $1150, which in Kalifornia translates to $1300+ after sales taxes, background check, and DROS, vs maybe $550 all up in Utah or Nevada (where, of course, I'm not a resident and therefore cannot buy any firearm).

I couldn't come to terms with that price tag, even though I really want a G43, because I already have a Sig P938 and a Springer XDs 9mm 3.3". When I talked to my wife later, she asked if I had found something I wanted...I told her "yes, but it was too pricey". She told me to go ahead and get it (this was over the phone) as an early Christmas present from her. I told her no, and I'll explain why later, and I gave her the same explanation I gave above.

So, what do y'all think? Did I make a mistake? (I'm ok with the decision because we have bought a home in Nevada and will likely move there in the next couple of years). Is the LEO in this case being dishonest or taking unfair advantage of a broken/ridiculous legal framework? (LGS thinks so, but are happy to oblige him). Any other thoughts on the matter? Frankly, I'm a bit upset by the situation, but not really angry...more like saddened. I feel like LEOs should be paid better/well enough that they don't have to resort to stuff like this, and, that Kalifornia should do away with arbitrary rules that make no sense whatsoever.

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
I used to live in California, so I well understand your situation. I have a Sig P938 that I bought for pocket carry and we just bought my wife a Glock 43. Both are great guns, but I would give the edge to the Glock. Yes, I think the LEO is being less than ethical. I personally could not justify buying that gun at that price, but that's me. However, only you know your financial situation. If you have the disposable income $$$ and you really want it, why not. Life is short and living in regret is something I studiously avoid.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
At that price you did not screw up. Go get a Dan Wesson 1911 for that price and never look back.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@G26Raven, very good points. I can afford it. I want one. But I was looking at some very nice Sigs (big guns, even the most compact Sig I can buy is bigger than a G19, regardless of caliber, with the exception of the 238, which I have). I don't consider myself a gun nut, nor a Glock boy, but I really do like the simplicity of the Glock. But I don't want a 43 bad enough that I'm willing to pay 2.5 times what I'd pay elsewhere. So far, no regrets.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@farside, yep, I was thinking along those lines. Different purpose gun, but I don't have a full size 1911 yet (just an UltraCarry), so I'd be better advised to get a very nice 1911 that a baby Glock at that price.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Why are you not allowed to purchase that gun in your state? What is it about the Glock 43 that makes it out of bounds for you in an FFL purchase?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
No mistake....and get out of Kalifornia, if you can! I was born there...and left as soon as I could!

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
Why are you not allowed to purchase that gun in your state? What is it about the Glock 43 that makes it out of bounds for you in an FFL purchase?
Commiefornia has a roster of approved firearms that may be sold to civilians. If it's not on that list, you can't buy it. The manufacturer has to pay for "testing" to get on the approved list. If they don't, it doesn't get approved. It's just a gun grab by another name.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

·
Premium Member
8,393 Posts
Crooks come in all colors of clothing. Putting that price on a 43 is what I call highway robbery. No way. And this man in blue (or whatever color they wear out there) is skirting the law, buying guns, keeping them for a while and then trying to sell them and make his fortune. Wait until you move out of state. Time goes pretty fast when its only a couple of years even though every day in Kali may feel like a year!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've owned a few Glocks, and the 43 was easily the worst. The trigger was pretty much terrible, and the gun was just big enough to not fit in my pocket.

I highly recommend you shop for a G26 or 19. The trigger is better, and they really aren't that much larger.

These days I've replaced my G26 with a SIG P229R, and I could not be happier.

EDIT: Can't you just buy a gun online (out of California) and have it shipped to you?

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
As we used to say in Brooklyn " I HAVE A HARDLY USED BRIDGE FOR SALE!

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Sounds like a scam to allow LEOs to sell things and profit unethically.

Maybe no one will buy it? Would he have to lower the price? Why not make an offer of what you think it's worth. Sometimes consignments will compromise.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't think you made a mistake by passing on that purchase. Never let yourself get hosed by paying way more than the actual value. What you already have is just fine and the Glock is just a want not a necessity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We live in Pa.
Had a funeral to attend in upstate New York.
Stopped in a shop asked to see a semi pistol.
Clerk informed me i could not hold gun unless I had a NY permit.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Is a G43 worth having? Yep! :yup:

Is a G43 worth that price? Nope! :hand5:

Did you "make a mistake"? I can't know anything about the rest of your decisions, but this one's fine. :congrats:

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
43's don't stay on the shelves too long around here.
They sell the same day Cabelas puts them in the display case and my small town LGS had one recently that was gone in two days. I almost bought it, went home and thought it over, went back a couple of days later and it was gone. Average price here is $500 +/-

1 - 20 of 49 Posts