Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. When it happens it happens fast.

I had to go to the VA today and when finished stopped at a Cafeteria. I walked down a hallway past a scumbucket, another couple also older, (me 64), also came in. I paid, went to a table to put my hat down (US ARMY RET) and went to the food bar nearest the register.

Suddenly the Senorita at the register screamed "Robbery", she had the guts to slam the register closed. I pulled my Sig 229 and pointed it at a fellow holding a knife. The girl took the opportunity to run, screaming bloody murder in Spanish. A few seconds later a half dozen 'compadres' some wearing cooking hats chased after the guy. I got a plate and sat down to eat.

A fellow and his wife came up and he said he also had a CCW and was preparing to back me up The police came and thanked us and explained to the owner that they simply can't be there all the time. At leas a half dozen others came to me and the other CCW holder and explained that they had intended to get their CCWs but didn't think anything would really ever happen.

This is the second time in 5 years I've drawn my gun and I'll tell you when it happens it is fast. And I mean fast. I carry a 229 in a Wild Bills No Such Agency and it is very fast.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
They let you into a VA center armed? I've gotta pass thru a metal detector here in Miami, FL. Doesn't it interfere with things like X-rays and exams...not to mention the weight scale?

BTW, do you like your 229? I'm seriously thinking of a P229 in the SAS with the DAK trigger.

·
Registered
48 Posts
YIKES!!

I guess I have it in my head that If the gun ever gets unholstered.. there is going to be some dead guy that I am going to have to administer first aid too...

I have never had to point my gun at a human being.. and I hope I never will.

Raymond

·
Registered
606 Posts
wow thats crazy man. Glad you had a cool head during the incident. I hope im never in that kind of situation, but im prepared just in case.

Oh by the way exsoldier - I also have a p229. Get one, you'll love it from the minute you pick it up. Its my favorite of all my handguns.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Glad everything worked out OK. Yes, things happen EXTREMELY fast.
A good time NOT to have your handgun "securely tucked" way far down in yer pants in a "deep cover" Jingle-Berry holster.
Because usually you'll never have time to get to it.

Hey Captain Ray...How do you administer First Aid to a Dead Guy? :confused:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
...it's good to know that the locals "atta boy'd" you and recognized that they can't be in all places at the same time.

Glad to hear you are ok as well.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
You may remember that until a few years ago, the Secretary for Veterans Affairs would not allow the VA police to carry firearms. His official opinion was that hospitals are no place for guns. He finally got the boot. A friend of mine's dad was killed while working at the San Antonio VA, because he was unarmed, and attacked by a psychotic patient with a gun.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I think folks misread that you had your gun in the VA Cafeteria. You actually had left the VA and stopped at a Cafeteria, so you were not on VA property at the time this occurred, if I read it right.

Glad to hear your alright and you didn't have to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
Glad things turned out OK for you and there was no hassle from the police. That wouldn't happen everyplace.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
I'm glad to hear all worked out well!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow! Good job. Makes me glad that I have decided to CCW everyday. It is very encouraging that you not only saved the day, but that fellow CCWs came forward. That the police gave you a pat on the back is icing on the cake. And you did it all without shooting the gun.

-- Richard

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, yes a cafeteria in a nice area a few blocks from a rapidly changing part of town. People leading more desperate lives moving into apartments that were once solid middle class now with crack heads, etc. I do not carry in the VA but leave it in the truck.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Great job. Glad you had another guy there to cover your six.

BTW-You are HARDCORE!!! There is no way I could sit down and eat after that!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts