Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Each and every time i have been pulled over and I have beem carrying the last 3 years i recieved only a warning
i was courteous

Each and every time I have been pulled over and I wasnt carrying..... I got a ticket

Just realize...... The vast majority of state troopers are just doing their job. They arent looking to hassle anyone...... They are trying to get through a shift and see their wife and kids ..........Courteous works well

You never know if they just dealt with 3 felons before you....

Overall........
My CCW is making me ticket proof. :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
So I'm all giddy, cause there was a gunshop that had 9mm, 38 special and .380 ammo. I got to handle the LCR, SR9c, SR9 and a host of other guns I've only read about. Then on my way home I was going 65 in a 55 and a state trooper passed me going the other way. He immediately turns around, on a 2 lane hwy, and starts coming at me lights a flashing. I knew he was after me, so rather than play coy, I turned off on the next county road before he even gets to me and park on the side of the road. Now I still dont have my carry permit yet, but from threads I've read on here, to make the trooper more comfortable, I put my hands on the steering wheel and wait for him to get there.

He comes up, puts his thumb on my car, then smiles down at me and I roll down the window. The exchange goes like this:

LEO: Do you have a gun?

Me: No, sir.

LEO: Oh, well I saw your hands on the steering wheel and usually people do that to tell us their carrying.

Me: No, but I've applied for my permit and I've been reading up on stuff and figured you'd feel safer either way.

LEO: (He smiles) Yeah, that's much better than people that are fidgeting around the whole time. Well, the reason I pulled you over was because you were going a little fast.

Me: Yeah, I noticed that.

LEO: Can I see you license please?

Me: Yeah, give me a second. (I then take my hands off the wheel, unbuckle my seatbelt and get my license.)

LEO: Alright, give me a minute. (After a few minutes he comes back with a print out) Ok, here's your license back. And I just gave you a warning, drive safely.

Me: I appreciate it, officer, you too.

So I've lived in Indiana a long time, and I've never heard of a state trooper handing out a warning. So I could say me getting into guns saved me from getting a ticket. Though, I wouldnt have been out that way if I wasnt going to buy ammo lol. Either way, thanks for the advice I've been given so far on these forums. This saved me $150.

That in bold you where looking out for his safety and you responded in a friendly kind mannered way. Not always, but respect goes a long way with most anyone.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Perused the comments and, for the most part, they were "good stop". "used your common sense" etal. Sorry but the title, "I hate getting pulled over" is hypocrisy in action. You speed (or for that matter break any traffic laws), particularly if you are CC, (there is no other way to say this and I apologize for its forthrightness but I strongly believe in my responsibilities when I am CC) you are irresponsible and nothing you say can absolve you of poor judgement. Again, I apologize if this upsets.
BTW, the answer is NO if your reply is asking about my driving habits. When I am CC, I am a complete pussycat without a care in the world about anything and everything going on around me except for my driving within the law.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Well, keep your foot a little lighter and the pull overs will stop. Of course if you do that you'll miss out on all the good interactions with the LEO.

Reactions: Alex_C

·
Registered
680 Posts
Had a local follow me yesterday for a couple of miles thru in town traffic. Watched him in the mirror while he "ran me" on his computer. After the last time he looked at it he turned off. Like to think it was my CHL status.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I have been pulled over once since I started CCing, I kept my hand on the wheel and informed the (suburban PD) officer that I have a CHL (since his computer was going to tell him anyway). No problems or harm done except the lady friend did bump her head.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Good story. Thanks for posting it. You did everything right. :king:
Except for obeying the speed limit.

Count yourself lucky on the warning. Hopefully getting your carry licence will increase your awareness and encourage you to behave in a manner less likely to draw negative LEO attention.

·
Registered
43,631 Posts
Florida HP is not known for giving warnings. They're not the forgiving kind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Except for obeying the speed limit.

Count yourself lucky on the warning. Hopefully getting your carry licence will increase your awareness and encourage you to behave in a manner less likely to draw negative LEO attention.
I always find the "Good job, but obey the speed limit" comments hilarious on forums like this. Now I am going to generalize a bit, but for the most part gun owner's believe in personal responsibility and the ability to govern and care for themselves. Except when it comes to how fast they can make their cars go? Does nobody else see the irony is supporting Nanny state law's like speed limits, but not supporting Nanny state gun laws?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I always find the "Good job, but obey the speed limit" comments hilarious on forums like this. Now I am going to generalize a bit, but for the most part gun owner's believe in personal responsibility and the ability to govern and care for themselves. Except when it comes to how fast they can make their cars go? Does nobody else see the irony is supporting Nanny state law's like speed limits, but not supporting Nanny state gun laws?
The law is the law whether you agree with it or not.

Breaking the law as a concealed carrier reflects poorly on the rest of us and may cost you your permit.

Simple answer is obey the law. If you don't like a law, work to change it with like-minded individuals through the appropriate channels. Don't just ignore it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The law is the law whether you agree with it or not.

Breaking the law as a concealed carrier reflects poorly on the rest of us and may cost you your permit.

Simple answer is obey the law. If you don't like a law, work to change it with like-minded individuals through the appropriate channels. Don't just ignore it.
My comments really had nothing to do with what you just said.

I just find it hilarious that people on this board both rally against and support the nanny state depending upon the issue. Just a commentary on the lack of consistency.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

I just find it hilarious that people on this board both rally against and support the nanny state depending upon the issue. Just a commentary on the lack of consistency.
Doesn't everyone?

Are you suggesting, that just because folks here disagree with firearm restriction and gun laws, that we should disregard the law entirely? If my understanding of your argument is correct...its ridiculous. We aren't outlaws. Most folks here are law abiding citizens that want to protect a constitutional right to defend themselves. I see no irony in that.

Reactions: Alex_C

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Does nobody else see the irony is supporting Nanny state law's like speed limits
A strong case can be made that the bulk of speed limits are in place based on the conditions of that roadway, typical traffic flow, what frequently happens when weather/visibility degrades, etc. Roadway/traffic engineers don't do these things whimsically.

I'll grant that highway speed limits are often done for completely different reasons (ie, fuel efficiency), and I'll grant that those tend to be the "nanny state" intrusions we dislike (yet mistakenly is the brush we paint all "speed limits" with).

But the sanity of following basic safety guidelines for playing well with others, when 3500 pound missiles are in play, makes sense. Sort of like the four basic gun safety guidelines, which are in place for similar good reason, and where ignoring them can be deadly ... no matter how "nanny" such proscriptions feel to some.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Exactly! well said!

It is as though it is a "badge" of authority on the forum to post about your violation of the motor vehicle codes while carrying your firearm.
All the time you see "get training", "know the carry laws of your state", "don't be a bad representative of the armed public".

Then people can't wait to post about how they got stopped for this and that... "but I was sure to hand the officer my CHP with my DL so he would know how responsible I am, what a good citizen I am, oh its only the motor vehicle code I don't obey, those laws aren't important, it should be obvious officer, by my handing you the permit without being ask, how in tune I am with you and your difficult job as I would never make a mistake with my handgun or violate a firearms law, I mean really...can't you tell by ALL my actions what a law abiding citizen I am?"

"Roon" called people on the double standard and rightly so. How anyone would interpret his statement as willfully disobeying the "law" is a reach to say the least.

I will take my chances any day with a couple of errant hollow points VS a 4,000 pound SUV going 85 on the interstate...

And the officer who had to shovel up what was left of a six year old yesterday and stopped you today for the motor code "violation", I am sure, is really convinced what an upstanding and LAW ABIDING citizen you are because you have a gun permit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Most cops that I have met are just like anyone else. Treat them with respect and they will usually treat you the same way. Not all of them are like this. Just like any other group of people cops have a few jerks in their ranks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Doesn't everyone?

Are you suggesting, that just because folks here disagree with firearm restriction and gun laws, that we should disregard the law entirely? If my understanding of your argument is correct...its ridiculous. We aren't outlaws. Most folks here are law abiding citizens that want to protect a constitutional right to defend themselves. I see no irony in that.
I am not suggesting anyone disregard the law. I am simply suggesting that if you are going to rail against "nanny state laws" be consistent about it.

A strong case can be made that the bulk of speed limits are in place based on the conditions of that roadway, typical traffic flow, what frequently happens when weather/visibility degrades, etc. Roadway/traffic engineers don't do these things whimsically.
Speed limits typically have to do with population density. I have yet to see any speed limit take road conditions into account as those change almost constantly. You could have an 8 lane super highway...if it runs through a populated area the speed will be lower.

I'll grant that highway speed limits are often done for completely different reasons (ie, fuel efficiency), and I'll grant that those tend to be the "nanny state" intrusions we dislike (yet mistakenly is the brush we paint all "speed limits" with).

But the sanity of following basic safety guidelines for playing well with others, when 3500 pound missiles are in play, makes sense. Sort of like the four basic gun safety guidelines, which are in place for similar good reason, and where ignoring them can be deadly ... no matter how "nanny" such proscriptions feel to some.
So long as nobody gets hurt you can ignore the 4 basic gun safety rules without penalty. The same is not true for speed limits. Not suggesting ignoring gun safety is prudent nor that I will go within a mile of you while armed...just saying that you are free to make your own choices in that regard. Yet for some reason the same is not true of motor vehicles?

You can spin it any which way you want, when you get right down to it though it's the government telling you what is best for you. If you are against that principle...I fail to see how you can support things like speed limits.

But, politicians can't seem to be consistent...why should I expect the people that vote for them to be.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I will dare say there are very very very few on this forum if they will admit it that dont push the posted highway speed limit up by at least 5 mph. I drove a semi for 22 yrs and I am still on the road a great deal. To see someone actually doing the posted speed limit on a highway or even a country road is usually looking at a rolling speed bump to every other driver on the highway.

There is a reason that speeding tickets written for 5 mph and under 90 percent of the time are considered nuisance tickets by traffic judges and tossed if the driver doesnt just pay the fine without going to court.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Perused the comments and, for the most part, they were "good stop". "used your common sense" etal. Sorry but the title, "I hate getting pulled over" is hypocrisy in action. You speed (or for that matter break any traffic laws), particularly if you are CC, (there is no other way to say this and I apologize for its forthrightness but I strongly believe in my responsibilities when I am CC) you are irresponsible and nothing you say can absolve you of poor judgement. Again, I apologize if this upsets.
BTW, the answer is NO if your reply is asking about my driving habits. When I am CC, I am a complete pussycat without a care in the world about anything and everything going on around me except for my driving within the law.
I applaud your driving style (as long as you're not one of those doing 54 mph in the fast lane and holding up traffic), but following every single traffic law 100% of the time is rather difficult. Ask any LEO who runs traffic if he would have any difficulty finding a reason to pull any vehicle over due to some perceived infraction. My guess is they will tell you they could find a reason to pull anyone over.

And for the record, my last speeding ticket (or any other moving violation for that matter) was in 92.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts