Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brief background on my work so this story makes sense. I work as a Service & Repair Technician for a major US wireless carrier. I work for corporate, not a 3rd party dealer. My company has a strict no-carry policy.

The first two stores I worked in were in very good neighborhoods (for anyone that knows South Florida, I worked in Coral Springs then Delray Beach). I chose to work at both stores, having originally taken the job in Coral Springs then opting to transfer to Delray Beach to work closer to home.

Then I was transferred to the West Palm Beach location because my skills were needed there when a longtime "Super Tech" took a job working in the Development division. I was not asked, but was told I'd be heading up there. The move was not optional.

This store is in an awful neighborhood. We're talking very close proximity to the county jail and in one of the highest crime-rate areas of Palm Beach County. In the last ten days alone a few major crimes have occurred.

* Last Thursday the police set up a drug dealer in a sting operation. The drug dealer opened fire on police in the parking lot of a Tire Kingdom about 150 yards from my store, just across the intersection. Several blocks were locked down with about three dozen police officers with tactical gear and assault rifles. Two airships were on station. A SWAT team ended up apprehending the dealer.

* Last Saturday the Shell gas station across the street from my store (about 100 yards away) was robbed at gun point. One of the more trigger happy assailant squeezed off a shot into a drink cooler before leaving but according to police "didn't seem to be shooting at anyone in particular". From what I understand so far these crooks have not yet been apprehended.

* Then Monday night somebody was stabbed in an apparent domestic dispute outside the KMart in my shopping complex (also about 100 yards or so from my store).

* In the last year three armored cars reloading ATMs within a mile radius of my store have been engaged in shootouts with what the police suspect are gangs.

* The lights in the parking lot on our side of the complex are routinely "out" after dark. I have reported it to my Store Manager (who has never closed our store in the nearly two years I've been there), my District Manager, Corporate Security, our complex security guards, and our complex's management. The lights are still routinely out after dark.

On the local news media website I found a "crime map" for the immediate area around my store for the last 30 days that I thought I'd share. I noticed immediately none of the crimes above are noted on the map, which makes me question how up-to-date it truly is... but even without those crimes the frequency and proximity is most troubling.

My location is that "bulls eye" red and black icon. The blue icon that appears to be thought bubbles or whatever actually indicate multiple reports of crimes at the same location.

I'm 22 years old, in good shape, and a big guy. I've got 17 years of martial arts experience and hold two levels of Black Belts in TaeKwon Do. Even with what I consider to be pretty advanced credentials, I still feel perilously at risk. Sprint's corporate response to my discomfort is that they are "dedicated to my health and well being" and are "taking steps to reasonably assure my safety at work". I'm calling bull:censored: on that one. My management's solution is to have three people closing instead of two... because apparently an armed gang will be thwarted by one extra person. Hey... maybe a no-guns sign will help!

I'm the first to agree that I should try and find a new job. However, I know most of you will agree that in this economy that really isn't an option. I have a good job considering I have not yet graduated college and don't have a great deal of past experience. The money is plenty to get me through and the schedule works to allow me to keep going to school. The benefits including health care and free services is also a huge part of it.

I apologize for the length of this vent/rant... but I hope that some of you have stuck through it to get to this point. Do any of you have suggestions as to what I can do or try to make myself safer? Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

</Vent>

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm the first to agree that I should try and find a new job. However, I know most of you will agree that in this economy that really isn't an option. I have a good job considering I have not yet graduated college and don't have a great deal of past experience. The money is plenty to get me through and the schedule works to allow me to keep going to school. The benefits including health care and free services is also a huge part of it.
If it were a viable option, I would.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Your size means that you will face either multiple attackers or armed attack or both. Your size also means that you are less likely to become a target than the average Joe. Your Martial Arts Training may or may not help you. Training is not like street fighting by any means there are NO RULES on the streets. The only thing you have oing for you is Situational Awareness. Study it learn it and live by it. Shalom.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Possible options:
1. Actively look for a new job, but don't quit until you find one.
2. Request to be transferred (again).
3. Buy pepper spray.
4. Carry concealed against company policy.

I do think a group of three people closing a store would be a less desirable target than only two people. While this is small comfort, I do think it is an improvement.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
Get my drift.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry, I have no advice for you. I am in a similar situation in that I was forced to move to Illinois for my job (rejected the offer 2 times followed by lots of lobbying by people 3-4 levels above my pay grade). Its easy to say get a new job but when you employer is paying more than anyone else by 15K and has great benefits to boot, its kinda hard to make the sacrifice. I will admit you are worse off than I am because the community I work in is very rural and has a low crime rate. If my safety became an extreme concern like yours I would probably be making a greater effort to find a new job.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your size means that you will face either multiple attackers or armed attack or both. Your size also means that you are less likely to become a target than the average Joe. Your Martial Arts Training may or may not help you. Training is not like street fighting by any means there are NO RULES on the streets. The only thing you have oing for you is Situational Awareness. Study it learn it and live by it. Shalom.
I agree with this assessment completely. I've actually argued this point against management trying to tell me I'm safe because I've been so active with martial arts. True martial arts... sure. But then again I've never had a shank pulled on me when I've been sparring in the gym.

Possible options:
3. Buy pepper spray.

I do think a group of three people closing a store would be a less desirable target than only two people. While this is small comfort, I do think it is an improvement.
1. I had been looking for a new job up until the holidays when we went to six day work weeks and I literally did not have the free time to go out for interviews. I will absolutely be going back out on the hunt when my schedule gets back to normal.

2. On the face of it, this is the best option. My original store (Coral Springs) is now an hour drive from my home. My fiancee took my open position in Delray Beach, and we cannot work together. The only other store in my area that does S&R work is about 45 minutes from me, and their performance is so poor there are serious rumors their S&R department will be shut down... which would leave me without a job.

3. I inquired about pepper spray or chemical mace and was told I was not allowed to carry it. Another co-worker who works in a corporate office in the area was also refused when he requested the same.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
What is more important to you? Your job or your life?

Can you take another position elsewhere?

Otherwise, if it were me, I would continue to document complaints to the parties you listed above, as well as their responses....and then carry against company policy using a deep concealment holster.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Possible options:
3. Buy pepper spray.

Sorry, I have no advice for you. I am in a similar situation in that I was forced to move to Illinois for my job (rejected the offer 2 times followed by lots of lobbying by people 3-4 levels above my pay grade). Its easy to say get a new job but when you employer is paying more than anyone else by 15K and has great benefits to boot, its kinda hard to make the sacrifice. I will admit you are worse off than I am because the community I work in is very rural and has a low crime rate. If my safety became an extreme concern like yours I would probably be making a greater effort to find a new job.
Concealed is concealed. Does your company search you at random hours or have metal detectors?

Wasn't there a movie about this, INDECENT PROPOSAL or something about how much are your beliefs worth?

Of course, while in Illinois, you are working full time to change the law with ISRA and Illinois Carry

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Concealed means concealed. I recommend a SIG P238 with Hornady Critical Defense ammo riding in a Mika Pocket Holster.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With your experience why not think about a military career? Safer than where you are.
Once I graduate college I will be applying to the Federal Training School to pursue a career with Immigration & Customs Enforcement over at Homeland Security.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear you Cincy. Your reasons for staying with your company parallel mine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Concealed means concealed. I recommend a SIG P238 with Hornady Critical Defense ammo riding in a Mika Pocket Holster.
Do you happen to carry such a rig?

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Knowing that you will probably lose your job if forced to defend yourself, I would still carry (because it is not illegal to do so).
It's hard to pay the bills without a job, but far more difficult to do so if you're dead.:dead::wave:
OMO, but you have to make the call!:22a:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with this assessment completely. I've actually argued this point against management trying to tell me I'm safe because I've been so active with martial arts. True martial arts... sure. But then again I've never had a shank pulled on me when I've been sparring in the gym.

1. I had been looking for a new job up until the holidays when we went to six day work weeks and I literally did not have the free time to go out for interviews. I will absolutely be going back out on the hunt when my schedule gets back to normal.

2. On the face of it, this is the best option. My original store (Coral Springs) is now an hour drive from my home. My fiancee took my open position in Delray Beach, and we cannot work together. The only other store in my area that does S&R work is about 45 minutes from me, and their performance is so poor there are serious rumors their S&R department will be shut down... which would leave me without a job.

3. I inquired about pepper spray or chemical mace and was told I was not allowed to carry it. Another co-worker who works in a corporate office in the area was also refused when he requested the same.
Actually Pepper Spray and Taser are legal for self defense in the state of Florida. See Florida statute 790.01

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2009->Ch0790->Section 01 : flsenate.gov

Note that this includes both contact tasers and those which fire wire attached needles.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Knowing that you will probably lose your job if forced to defend yourself, I would still carry (because it is not illegal to do so).
It's hard to pay the bills without a job, but far more difficult to do so if you're dead.:dead::wave:
OMO, but you have to make the call!:22a:
+ 1. Well said. I would go with deep concealment and give yourself some peace of mind. BTW, tell NO ONE. Not even someone that you think that you can trust. They may slip without intending to hurt you.

The only way anyone would know that you are carrying is if you need to defend yourself. Then what Resupt99 stated will apply.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I'd carry deeply concealed and forget the company policy. If they don't have armed security to provide for your safety, then IMO, it's your duty to make sure that the life given to you by God, or what ever your belief may be, falls directly and squarely on your shoulders.

Some will disagree and frankly, I couldn't care any less. IMO, The companies right to deny doesn't trump your right to self defense. As long as it's legal in the state you live and all you're doing is breaking company policy, I'd say make the call and know that the worse case scenario is a simple one. If you ever have to use your weapon while on the job, you'll most likely loose your job as a result, but if you don't carry some form of self defense and something happens that results in the loss of your life. You loose your job and life. For me it's a simple answer. I can find a new job if I have to, but I have only one life to give and it's not for the company I work for....:comeandgetsome: JSGOTI

GBK

1 - 20 of 82 Posts