Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with the function of the 1911. Simply put, they all work which means I've been denied the privilege to experience all of the aggravation that some claim of the 1911 gun. The newly purchased ones have worked perfectly. The old ones purchased used have worked perfectly. They do this with round nose, semi-wadcutter, truncated cone, and gaping hollow point bullet designs. Every one of them. None have required "feed ramp work." They've never required anything to give perfect satisfaction.

Being a handloader, I've fed them some strange concoctions, some wild concoctions. Anything's fine with them. The first 1911 came to the menagerie here in 1978. I didn't know much about its inner workings. I just shot it and maintained it. It behaved just like any of several family members' 1911 guns with which I was familiar with as a kid. Those all worked too as far as I remember. In our family the 1911 was always considered the dependable automatic and good for "what ails ya." As additional 1911 guns have been added to the menagerie here in more recent times they have all proved to be well-mannered and reliable.

They are regularly fed from a large canvas bank coin sack of bulk cast lead "general purpose" handloads which is kept on the floor of the right front leg of the loading bench, right in front of a similar cloth sack of .38 Special handloads. Those sacks have been kept on hand there ever since I set up the bench.

Oh, the Colt Gold Cup can get balky. A hundred or so rounds of the filthy Russian steel-cased Bear ammunition induced some stoppages on one occasion, but it's a Gold Cup, a bit of a tangent from the standard because it was built as a target gun. The Model 1911 was also along on that day of ammo burnin' the Bear ammunition and it ate up several times the quantity that the Gold Cup digested and never bobbled.

The front sight fell off my original World War I vintage Colt 1911 after 90 years of riding up there on top of the slide. No telling what sort of treatment the pistol sustained before I got it and I didn't baby it once it came to live here.

One can load powder-puff cast lead semi-wadcutter loads so light that feed issues will crop up, though you might be surprised at "how low you can go" using standard 16lb recoil springs before encountering this. The Gold Cup has a 9lb. recoil spring handy that can be installed if such loads need to be used.

Went to the range this morning before it got hot and shot a couple of 1911s. While there it occurred to me that I feel cheated somehow. I can detail strip a 1911 and have a basic grasp of the design and its function. I've missed out on the tinkering and tuning experience though. I never get to play with clearing malfunctions.

What do I need to do?

-Start sawing on them, modifying, altering, upgrading them so that I can experience the thrill of malfunctions and gain the knowledge required to become a 1911 guru?

-Keep shooting them, hoping that somehow something will go wrong that I'll need to fix?

-Scrap the 1911s and go Glock?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
From my experience, all you have to do is get a replacement magazine and that'll give you your malfunctions. I've had no other problems with mine except for the one magazine!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have had the same experience...exactly. I have never had one that did not run whatever I put in it...and we are 1911 fans around my house, so we have them in all configurations....and they all work. Being a caster and handloader...they have been feed a wide variety of loads and more than a small amount of MUCH used brass...and, strangely, they just work.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
From my experience, all you have to do is get a replacement magazine and that'll give you your malfunctions. I've had no other problems with mine except for the one magazine!
I have a sack full of Chip McCormick and Mec-Gar mags...never have an issue with them, used them all when we were shooting matches.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Even my cheapo RIA guns run flawlessly. I bought my son a new one for his 16th birthday...a couple of years ago. Birthday was on Friday...gave it to him before he left for school that morning. He walked out the backdoor and shot it a couple of rounds...not even an entire magazine full...then went to school. We carried to a steel challenge match the next morning (Sat morning)...he had not even cleaned it and won his class with it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I may need to try a couple of them. I'm just using the standard Colt Replacement mags and all but one runs flawlessly, including the free 8 rounder they sent me.
I have a sack full of Chip McCormick and Mec-Gar mags...never have an issue with them, used them all when we were shooting matches.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Huh. I have a similar issue with my S&W Shields. Both of them have worked correctly, starting at day 1. Despite much effort on my part I have never been able to duplicate the many issues that others have had with theirs.

On the other hand, My Sig Commander has been excellent with hardball, but needed both an extractor tension tweak and the edge broken at the back of the chamber in order to run at 100% with Federal HST.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Fanboy rant? Almost like a Highpoint owner saying their gun is just as good because it works fine.

1911 makes a great target gun though.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Fanboy rant? Almost like a Highpoint owner saying their gun is just as good because it works fine.

We will just consider the source and let this go.

We realize that there are a lot of folks around that use a gun that does not endear itself to the shooter. Such is life...

·
Super Moderator
18,034 Posts
I seem to have the same lack of problems with my 1911s although the 3” SA Micro does get a bit persnickety after a couple hundred rounds without cleaning but a few drops of oil and she is happy as can be.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It began on the pistol qualification range on good ole USMC turf. The range officer handed me a pistol and said, Son, this in a 1911, don't screw it up. Try to hit that little center dot. It was love from that day on:smile:

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts

Do you have one of those fine Austrian High points?

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
I have similar problems. Ive never understood people talking about breakin periods or the whole "get a 1911 for accuracy or a glock for reliability" arguments. Each of my 1911s has been very reliable. As already mentioned, most issues can be solved with a new mag.

I thought the trigger on my Glock was perfection until I shot my 1911.
I managed to turn the trigger on one of my glocks into perfection with a new connector and a little polishing.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts