Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a funny feeling that whenever possible, most of us are carrying what is quite frankly might sound like an absurb amount of ammunition but for a very good reason. I know I am.

With 12+1 rounds of .40S&W handy with a reload for another 12 rounds, 5 rounds of .38 Special with 5 more rounds in the speedstrip (yeah I know...), that's 35 rounds of ammunition on my person.

I guess it only sounds silly out of context because the purpose of having all that ammunition is definitely not to be able to fire 35 times, it's just a consequence of understanding that changing magazines is the most likely way I have of clearing a malfunction with the primary gun, and carrying a BUG at the same time. I suppose I really don't need a reload for the BUG as the BUG is the reload, but I carry it in isolation sometimes so I try to keep up the reload habit.

I'm just curious if there's a common round count here. I figure for a lot of you it will be a number around 25-35, with some being way more and others way less.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Currently Euc - about home and office I am just 15+1. if going out then I often add the other 15 rounder so - for me that's 31 total.

Usual BUG (mouse-BUG!) is the NAA Mini in .22WMR - no reloads for that - have to take cylinder out!! That is anyways total last ditch.

If I have R9 in ankle or pocket then that'll be 6+1 and no spare mag. If that was primary (rare) then a two mag total and so 13 rounds only.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when you're "dressed up for a night on the town", you're at 36 rounds.

I'd like to hear more responses on this. I have this feeling like we're all within maybe 8 rounds of each other, discounting the outliers.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well with my 1911 it's 8+1, a 7 rounder and then two 10 rounders. Grand total 36 rounds. Plus at least 50, usually 100 rounds in the car so I can reload magazines if it gets really bad. You know, just in case... :wink:

A1C Lickey

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I carry two guns a lot so it depends. Semi and revolver combo puts me at anywhere from 14-19 rounds handy. Two semis puts me around 26-30 rounds. Summer light duty may only be 5-10 rounds. 1911 only with a reload would be 15 rounds. So mine varies. Catch me in the truck and that's a whole different ball game. :biggrin:

-Scott-

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
1911 8+1 plus 2 more 8's at 8 0'clock = 25 and Bug P3-AT 6+1
Thats dressed up for me. Casual is just 8+1. I'm afraid that if I can't make good with 9, well, you guessed it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hmmm... I haven't been carryinglong, and at the moment I'm laid up so my carry scheme isn't getting much of a tryout.

However, my current plan is: Speed-Six .357 6 + 12 in speed strips, + NAA BUG .22WMR 6

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Euclidean said:
I'm just curious if there's a common round count here. I figure for a lot of you it will be a number around 25-35, with some being way more and others way less.
I usually only carry ONE reload unless I think I might be heading thru Indian Country or I'm on a trip out of town. I usually carry a Glock M27 (.40) with the standard 9rd mag. But I always have a M22 backup with 15. So if you include one in the chamber and a topped off mag, that...yup.... 25 rds. OTOH if I'm carrying my Sig P245 with six + 1 that's seven rounds up front plus an 8rd P220 mag so that's only 15 altogether. But I plan on getting a new ParaOrdnance TAC-4 with 13+1 .45 and so a sp mag for that makes for
27 B-A-D-A$-$ 45's!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I carry a Glock 23 with one spare mag, so that gives me 13+13 for 26 total. I just aquired a CZ 40P which I think I will use as my main carry piece. If so, I'll have only 10+10. I might go to two spare mags for the CZ. I also keep a BUG in the car, so if I'm riding in the car, I have 7 more. The BUG is a Sig 232.

·
Administrator
144,343 Posts
I carry 8 + 1 G Dot - in my primary defensive .45acp firearm
7 Glaser Safety Slugs (ancient habit of mine)
7 extra Speer GD HPs
8 .380 Gold Dot in the old ppk/s BUG

31 rnds total

My primary carry firearm is always perfectly maintained.
My Stainless BUG Walther - tends to get a little pocket linty (at times) but, it always works. :silly:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Euc,

At the moment I own only a HK USPc in .40. If I could carry, that would be my choice of carry firearms, despite the fact that I might have a small issue concealing it (I'm a fairly skinny guy).

If I were doing that, I'd probably opt for a HK P2000SK as a bug, in ankle carry. The SK has an 8 or 9 rnd mag, plus the 1 in the chamber. Additionally, it can load the 12 rnd mags from the USPc. So, given the 13 in the USPc, the 9 in the P2000sk, and 1 reload 9 (12 rnds), we're talking 34 rnds of ammo. Toss in another reload, and now we're at 46.

If I need more then 46 rounds of .40S&W ammo, in two different HK pistols to get me out of a situation...I'm in DEEP crap!

This is all subject to change as I add new firearms to the collection :) I think either a SIG 226, Walther P22, or a Kimber TLE II/RL will be next, and I'm not sure which way to go. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, what a LOADED question! HaHa. I usually don't deviate far from simply what the weapon carries, in my case , generally 8+1. Extras in vehicle and on certain occasions such as camping, backpacking, etc. for survival reasons of food gathering. I've always found it harder to hit a squirrel with a .45 than a shotgun, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Always carry a backup reload (or a BUG)

jitmo said:
I usually don't deviate far from simply what the weapon carries, in my case , generally 8+1. Extras in vehicle and on certain occasions such as camping, backpacking, etc.
IF you carry for defense, ALWAYS carry a backup mag. If you need a gun, you're liable to need it a lot. Forget the stats that seem to suggest that the average civilian gunfight in self defense occurs at a range of contact out to seven yards and only lasts a few rounds. Forget the stats or risk becoming a stat. I think most folks here will support this opinion.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My normal load is 13+1 (plus 26 more) in .357 Sig these days and a S&W 296 (5 .44 special). My normal course of fire against three practice blue men is sub 4 seconds per magazine, typically in the 3.5 range. Driver carries less than 30 seconds of ammo, even if I stretch it. Police response time at best is 5 minutes. :)

With winter coming on, the number of reloads goes way up as I have a tendency to keep a full-time gun in the coat plus whatever I'm carrying as well as a couple more mags for everything.

If I'm having a bad day, my 'fishing' vest has eight mags that live in it, 4 for the .357, 4 for the 9mm, and 30ish shells for the 44mag.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Normal day, one backup mag for PO1, so that's 29 doses of felon repellant. If going somewhere a little more unusual, I might slip on of the Clinton mags in the back pocket, raising the total to 39 rounds. No BUG yet.... :(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My typical load is 7+1 of 9mm in my Kahr P9 plus 8 rounds in the spare ("extended") mag for 16 total.

Alternately, if I were to be carrying the BHP in .40S&W, it would be 10+1 in the gun and another 10 in a spare mag, for a total of 21.

Looking at the previous responses, I'm beginning to think I'm a lightweight!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
IF you carry for defense, ALWAYS carry a backup mag. If you need a gun, you're liable to need it a lot. Forget the stats that seem to suggest that the average civilian gunfight in self defense occurs at a range of contact out to seven yards and only lasts a few rounds. Forget the stats or risk becoming a stat. I think most folks here will support this opinion.
See I agree with what ExSoldier says here but not for the same reason.
I carry reloads for the express purpose of not being effectively unarmed or underarmed in the wake of an incident, and to satisfy Mr. Murphy because I am paranoid. It's the same reason I carry multiples of almost everything on my person.

·
Registered
814 Posts
With the P99, I carrry 15+1 and an additonal 15 rounder. No BUG for me, so I am at 31.

If I am carrying one of the 1911's, it's 8+1 with an additional two mags in a belt pouch, so that's 25.

There's also at least one pig poker and a Mini-Mag light.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I'm usually carrying my Kimber CDP compact with 7 rounds and 1 spare mag with 8 rounds. So for me, 15 rounds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts