Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only home protection gun is a S&W 357 2'' 5 shot revolver. I'm wanting to buy a high cap 9mm that will shoot at lease 15 rounds. The problem is my wife can't seem to rack the slide on the auto's. Is there away to make the spring for the slide not so strong and still fire? I'm in my 70's and my wife is much younger than me, and I was just thinking about her after I kick the bucket. I would just like to have more shots available for her if needed.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Have her try this.................
Rent a gun, and have her try to hold the slide stationary with the non-shooting hand while pushing forward on the frame assy with the shooting hand to chamber the first round.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Buy a GLOCK 19. Buy & install a new slide assembly (upper) chambered in .22 TCMG. The recoil, recoil spring & strength required to cycle it are MUCH lighter. It is an effective SD caliber. But, be forewarned, it is LOUD! :gah:

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Normal when you start messing around with springs etc on gun things can go wrong

I would either

A. Get a heavier wheel gun a nice model 10 with a 4 barrel or a 686 or a Ruger etc
B. Learn how to load with other methods like mentioned above
C. Find a gun rental places so you cant try a couple some to me like the Hi power are lighter then others

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My wife has the same challenge. When I took her to the range and let her try a variety of pistols it turned out she is most comfortable, and most accurate with my S&W 4" 586. So that's what she uses. We tried all of my semi autos and either she couldn't rack the slide or the grip was too big for her hands, except for one...my old AMT Lightning 22. She really likes that one but prefers the revolver. I figure if she can hit her target then that's the best goal to achieve. Plus she has a 12 ga coach gun
which looks pretty serious from business end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Couple of ideas:

You Can Rack A Slide. It?s Technique, not Strength.

http://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-devices-supplement-technique/

Here's one with a few videos:
http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/08/02/how-women-or-anyone-with-weak-hands-can-easily-rack-a-pistol-slide/

I've also seen a method where you start out with both arms straight (gripping the pistol with the right hand and the slide with the left) and swing both arms to the right so you're using the arc of your arms to pull it back. But I can't find a video of it...

Hope that helps!
Josh

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Most of the time, a problem racking the slide can be solved with training. If she is having a problem with the slide, she may have a problem keeping a rigid enough grip to keep it from jamming. A revolver may actually be a better choice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As mentioned above, hold the slide with the left and push the firearm forward with the right. If she's right handed, she should have more strength in that hand. Just make sure the firearm is pointed in a safe direction.
I've got a Walther CCP.. It's got what they call "Soft-Coil" or something like that. Anyway, it's got a small gas port in the chamber that softens recoil. I don't really notice it, but it has a light spring that is easy to rack. You might see if an LGS has one she can look at. Priced under $400 when I bought it. It is a bear to disassemble for cleaning at first.
A wheel gun doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Get the wife membership to a weight lifting place... Just kidding she might hurt you then:image035:

But really I would go with the bigger revolver they are just easy to use and work for a lady

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems to me if I ordered a weaker slide spring, wouldn't that work as long as the gun is functioning?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems to me if I ordered a weaker slide spring, wouldn't that work as long as the gun is functioning?
I don't recommend to change the slide spring to the weaker one, it will affect the timing of the gun itself.
Here's a worth reading article prior to changing slide spring, just in case you still choose that option than buying another revolver for her as addition.

How Recoil Spring Rate Affects Timing - Shooting Times

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
863 Posts
Have her try this.................
Rent a gun, and have her try to hold the slide stationary with the non-shooting hand while pushing forward on the frame assy with the shooting hand to chamber the first round.
I totally agree with Kukla and the videos in post number 6 explain this procedure very well. Racking the slide is not about strong muscles it is about technique and procedure. Initially my wife had trouble racking the slide on my Glocks but using the "push forward" technique she no longer has any problems.

I realize everyone has different opinions but I would recommend a semi auto instead of a revolver. The revolvers that I have shot have a much harder trigger pull than my Glock 17, Glock 30 and other semi autos I have shot. Semi automatics have a higher round capacity than a revolver and they are much faster to reload because they use magazines. It is also important that as soon as the slide is pulled all the way to the rear that the fingers quickly release the slide and let the recoil spring move the slide forward. Many new shooter "help" the slide forward which can cause malfunctions, etc.

Always rent several guns before you buy to make the gun fits your hands, you shoot it well and you like it. Once you buy it you can't take it back.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't recommend to change the slide spring to the weaker one, it will affect the timing of the gun itself.
Here's a worth reading article prior to changing slide spring, just in case you still choose that option than buying another revolver for her as addition.

How Recoil Spring Rate Affects Timing - Shooting Times

Wow that's some cool stuff right there...thanks for sharing that. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this. I'm gonna let my wife view the video's, and borrow my brother's Glock 17, and work on that. You guys are been very helpful, thank yall.....

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
My sister, 5'4" tall and weighed 90 lbs on her best day. She was skinny as could be... a good wind would put her in another State. She could rack and shoot any semi out there, or shotgun. I sometimes think with women .... they are too timid and afraid to hurt it, as well as develop / learn a good technique. When an 8 yr old girl can do it, it does me wonder about what some women are doing and really saying.

Rack that sucker like you mean it. It's not a toy...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My 73 year old mother, and recent anti convert, had the same problem. The solution was to buy a Sig Sauer which are a lot easier to rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts