Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH Master Bruce sensei of the slabside, I have failed our order.
My son, oh the shame of it, has gone to the dark side.
He has his heart set on a Glock(I can't hardly type it!) Worse he has asked me to help him find one. He is looking for something in 9mm.
I don't know(don't:aargh4:wanna either) diddly about them. Help!
What would be a good Glock starter pistol and what should I expect to pay for a decent used model. Nothing fancy. He is too young to carry, so this one would be a shooter only. The shame, the shame, you try to raise them right and look what happens.http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/vol_1/aargh4.gif
:aargh4:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
G-17 is a fullsize 17 in mag 1 in pipe this is size i prefer used 350+ if you can find one some times you can find them new 489 sometimes.

G-19 is Compact half inch shorter barrel little shorter grip 15 rounds plus one in pipe about same on price.. Look for the newest frame the 3rd gen with finger grooves.

If ya find the newer frames they have all the upgrades and you don't worry about any problems the older style had

Any other questions i'm sure i or someone else can answer

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bud, what were some of the problems the older ones had? What should I look out for?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
some had trigger up grades .. Some had frame upgrades with rails cracking ..

Not sure what the trigger upgrade was for ..

Also all of the newer glocks had a different angle on the extractors and ejector for a more positive ejection

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
If I were to buy a Glock(shudder) it woould be a compact. (G19 for 9mm) Small enough to carry, big enough to fight with. At least your son will have lots of holster/ accesory choices.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'd be with Rocky here - not yet ''Succumbed'' :wink: - but a 19 would be my choice I think tho heck, if I can always find the 226 easy, maybe the 17 would do fine - it's the one I have shot most when borrowing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Check out http://www.topglock.com/catalog/pistols_glock.htm I have not ordered a gun from them but I have ordered pieces parts. Check out your local gun shows. There may be a vendor that sell factory recondition at a lesser cost. There is one my area that sells them.

I really like my G21, and just picked up a G30. I am only 5.11, and about 160. Concealing the 21 is not all that hard. The G30 has less of a kick that the G21, with only 3 less rounds, 1 inch shorter barrel, and grip.

I have New York 1 (NY1) triggers in both for some added safety. Just in case the finger get in the trigger guard at the wrong time.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
IF and I do mean IF I were to buy a Glock, it would be the 19. I have had a considerable amount of experience with them as an Instructor for my security dept. When corporate allowed us to be armed they purchased 65 Glock 19's for us. During qualifications I would take 5 of them to the range and put 1200 rounds through each gun in 5 days, without cleaning or oiling them in anyway,

They never failed to go bang.

·
Administrator
143,583 Posts
You want a GLOCK that's "Not Too Fancy??"
Glocks only ever come in one grade of "Never Too Doggone Fancy." :biggrin2:

Some extra mags would be a welcome addition.
I would probably also choose the 19 ~ It's easy to shoot & it's a nice all round handgun that he'll probably hold onto even after he is old enough to discover that SIGs & Colts are better.:gah: :biggrin2:

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Gunnutty said:
OH Master Bruce sensei of the slabside, I have failed our order.
My son, oh the shame of it, has gone to the dark side.
He has his heart set on a Glock(I can't hardly type it!) Worse he has asked me to help him find one. He is looking for something in 9mm.
I don't know(don't:aargh4:wanna either) diddly about them.

The shame, the shame, you try to raise them right and look what happens
:ticking: Hmmmm maybe a good beating is in order.:smashfreakB:?? You could take him out back and whip him till he changes his mind:1schmuddel04: Or you could suggest to him a 9mm in a 1911 platform:yup:

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
QKShooter said:
You ...that SIGs & Colts are better.:gah: :biggrin2:
Well, you've got my attention. Not challenging, just interested in your opinion, why do you think a Sig & Colt is better?

Then, I'd go with the G-17 for the same reason I carry a Sig 226.

There's a lot of Glock bashing, not necessarily here and often in fun, but say what we may, a Glock is really hard to beat. For example, you can get a Glock, G-26, that will readily and comfortably fit in an ankle hoslter, up to a G-34 that's a pretty accurate gun. A Glock is a Glock is a Glock - always same trigger, magazine interchangability among caliber families, i.e. G-17 mags fit the G-26. And the G-18 mags do too. You can get a Glock with or without rails and finger grooves. A Glock trigger is a Glock trigger. It's short stroke, moderate weight, short reset make it easy and fast to shoot. Oh yeah, they're comparatively inexpensive. You can almost buy one and a half Glocks for the price of a Sig or 1911. Or, a Glock and a whole bunch of ammo. Or, night sights and a whole lot of ammo. Or, a Glock and a CT grip.

Sig on the other hand, and XDs, don't really have that breadth. For example, you can get a Sig 226 or 229, but what Sig can you get that fits an ankle holster? Even the 229 is chunky and if you go to a 239 the mags no longer interchange.

Just some observations.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with Tangle on everything he said.

Don't understanding the Glock bashing. I understand comments made in jest, that happens all the time between riders of different brands of motorcycles' and I've also been doing that as long as I have been shooting.

Proud owner of Glock models 23, 26, and 30; also S&W models 637, 60, 640 and 686. Each has its purpose.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
As a matter of fact, I may buy a G-17 this afternoon. Why? That's a good question????

·
Registered
26 Posts
My carry gun is a Glock 19. My 1911A1 is setup with Match sights, and is too heavy, too big and carries too few rounds for CCW. I've carried 1911A1's and M9 Beretta's for living, and still, I prefer the Glock for a CCW gun. Simple controls are hard to screw up when it comes time to save yourself.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
acparmed said:
IF and I do mean IF I were to buy a Glock, it would be the 19. I have had a considerable amount of experience with them as an Instructor for my security dept. When corporate allowed us to be armed they purchased 65 Glock 19's for us. During qualifications I would take 5 of them to the range and put 1200 rounds through each gun in 5 days, without cleaning or oiling them in anyway,

They never failed to go bang.
ACPArmed,
Why do you say IF? Sounds like they did everything you ask of them.

Proud owner of a G22 and G19.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I guess this makes me a switch hitter (may have to go see "Humpback Mountain" after this :nono: ). I carry both Glocks and 1911 style (Para-Ord P-14) depending on my mood, for IWB the 1911 platform is more comfortable for me and I feel they hide better in that carry mode and I take the P-14 when I feel the threat level is higher than day to day. For concealed carry in the Glock family I do defiantly prefer the G-19, big enough to get a hold of, carries enough ammo to get the job done, small enough to conceal.

For an all round Glock the 19 is tough to beat, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 19 is/was the best selling model a couple years ago, the mid size .40 may have equaled or passed it by now, but used 19s should not be too difficult to find at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
My name? Vy it is und FREUD...SIGMUND FREUD....

DaveT said:
I agree with Tangle on everything he said.

Don't understanding the Glock bashing. I understand comments made in jest, that happens all the time between riders of different brands of motorcycles' and I've also been doing that as long as I have been shooting.

Proud owner of Glock models 23, 26, and 30; also S&W models 637, 60, 640 and 686. Each has its purpose.
I love my combat tupperware and feel not the slightest bit "lesser armed" when carrying my M27. Dishwasher safe, too.

I think those who shudder at the thought of GLOCK are the died in the wool iconoclasts among us who have a deep seated fear of change. When phasers hit the market they'll be saying Too light! Not enough stopping power!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, I'm glad we're all friends here! I'd hate to make this many armed people mad! LOL Well we are looking at a Glock 19, as per the advice received. Thanks guys! I Think!!! IT's used and we'll see if we can get together on the price. I told my son we'd add on to the dog house and he could keep it out there but the dog threatened to leave. JOKING, I"m just joking Glock people!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts