Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get too excited, if I still have internet access the situation can't be all that bad.

I live in an apartment complex. Earlier tonight I was coming home from a quick run to the store when the popo stopped me and told me I wasn't allowed to enter. I explained these were my groceries and I lived there and showed them my ID to prove it without them even asking for it. They said okay I could go in, but I had to go the long way around my building and not leave my apartment unless it was to leave the property.

I settled in and immediately grabbed my bugout gear. I honestly didn't expect I'd have to use it.

Anyway about 20 minutes ago the popo knocked on my door again and told me to get out in 5 minutes and that if I didn't get out, they'd get me out for me.

There was no time to grab anything besides my main bugout bag, some personal accessories and keys, and one change of clothes I keep ready to go with the BOB.

I was told by the officer when I walked out carrying all this stuff that I had to go anywhere but here. The apartment office was open to shelter us if need be, or if we left immediately we could leave by foot. I asked most politely "Officer my vehicles is right there. It's the red Chevy truck. May I drive away?" The officer was too happy to let me go.

I am typing this from Bugout Location number one, the school where I work. Don't laugh, I have plenty of space, security, water, etc. and I brought 3 days of food with me with 3 more day's worth in the truck.

I know I'm supposed to be gone for 4 hours minimum. I figure about midnight when the janitor leaves I'll drive back, park nearby, and walk onto the property and see if the ruckus has calmed down. If not, I'll get right back in my truck and drive right back here. I can stay here all night if I have to. Heck I can even take a shower.

Anyway I'm locked in my room behind the security barrier and there's no one here but me and Jefe and I'd trust Jefe with my life. I've got the keys and the security bypass codes and I know this building well. I've planned my escape from it and forced entry into it many times.

I've some provisions in my room too, and I've got the radio on listening for any sort of update. They told us it was a bomb but who knows.

I am paranoid. I am going to immediately go bathe myself as soon as Jefe is occupied elsewhere.

Anyway at least I got the internet. Keep me entertained tonight forumites. I doubt anything good happens, but I have just bugged out.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've seen this before in the military barracks. It is likely that they found a meth lab in someone's apartment. They clear the area because we all know what happens if/when that stuff goes off.:boom:

I'd have asked what was going on, but you probably didn't have a chance.

That'd be my guess, let us know what happened.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I know we mostly think we'll use our bug out gear in a big emergency like Katrina or something along those lines. I know I sometimes forget that if the neighbors house caught fire or part of an apartment/condo build burned everyone would be displaced. A smaller bug out scenario, but one to be prepared for at any rate.

Enjoy your evening at school.

-Scott-

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Euclidean Is Going To Night School. :biggrin2:

Happy that you were prepared to bug out Euc.
That sure makes life a bit easier.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
I'm "best guessing" not too many gun magazines to be found on the shelves in the school library.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well Euc - I'll say this - there seem to be times when your life can NOT be called dull :wink:

I think you have proven for sure the value of having some form of Bugout bag - it shows too why it will never always be known when needed.

Well - long night ahead perhaps but give us the skinny when they let you back in - hopefully without too long a delay.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Holy crap mang! Can the police actually do that? Tell you to leave your home asap and not come back? I guess if its an apartment that you dont own, they van but i live in a house, I would probubly trust an officer that told me to leave my home asap but i would sure as hell question it. I hope you have an apartment to go back home to!! Your guns are in a safe im sure so they should be ok in an explosion. Anyhoo Glad you made it away from there before the party started and please keep up posted on what really was going down

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Gelicious said:
Holy crap mang! Can the police actually do that? Tell you to leave your home asap and not come back? I guess if its an apartment that you dont own, they van but i live in a house, I would probubly trust an officer that told me to leave my home asap but i would sure as hell question it. I hope you have an apartment to go back home to!! Your guns are in a safe im sure so they should be ok in an explosion. Anyhoo Glad you made it away from there before the party started and please keep up posted on what really was going down
Yep they can i went though it last year when the chemical recovery place blew up by my house

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ok EUC
Since you have some time on your hands why dom't you let us know whats in the BOB
Mike

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not one to be content with a mere little bag, I have developed finally a comprehensive Bug Out System. The idea of this kit is to survive the most likely scenarios I can see.

My 3 options (Rule of 3) are as follows:

#1. Most preferable: bugout to relatives in Western part of state. This is an isolated area where people will not be heading to.

#2. Second best: ride it out. I know this town well enough by now I know where the hidey holes are if I can't stay at my residence for whatever reason. I actually take long walks when I need to clear my mind (Which has been often lately) and there are all manners of places to bed down and take shelter where one would not be visible.

#3. Hoof it. Horrible idea but it could happen. It almost did tonight. If the officer had told me I was not allowed to retrieve my vehicle I'd be walkin'.

Without going into terrible detail, I am terribly concerned that even with the use of backroads (which I am learning better and better) topo maps, etc. I could very well be "stuck" in place for a while after a disaster. The reason for this is I live maybe 4000 feet from the intersection of two major highways, one of which is I 35.

Another problem with heading out on the backroads is that those country dwellers are going to take care of themselves if something crazy goes down. I could very well be walking through the reticle of a .30-06 and not even know it if it came down to that. They aren't going to take kindly to me settling down for the night, looking for water on their property, etc.

However the good news is I live right next to a river which I can follow out into the sticks if it comes right down to it. Fishing in this river is not practical. You have to understand what Texans call a river the rest of the country calls a drainage ditch. Ever seen the Rio Grande? I've walked right across it. It ain't too Grande.

However, it is water. And water is key. Everything else can be improvised, water cannot.

Other sources of water would include what I would bring with me, in addition to my purification device, and water would could probably still be had from public taps.

So in that spirit I've devised a modular Bugout System.

The Main Component is my humble backpack. It's not much and I am looking to upgrade, but it's sturdy, not too big or small, and has adequate straps and good strong external frame. Provided the load isn't excessive it's quite comfortable once it's all strapped in. This part of the system is the most basic. It contains:

the best first aid kit I have the skills to use

2 Liters of Water in a Camelback bladder
a Katadyn Hiker Pro water purification device
enough granola/jerky/trail mix type stuff to live on for a day by itself
4 Cliff Bars
4 pouches of 1 quart Gatorade mix
2 quart sized Lexan bottles (used for waterproof storage containers of the food)
3 days worth of freezer bag cooking meals
Mess kit
2 Extra freezer bags
Bottle of multivitamins

In a tacklebox I have organized

An array of medical supplies I know how to use, from Ace Bandage to Chapstick

Water purification tablets

About 30 feet of duct tape

Headlamp
Spare flashlight

Utility knife with 10 extra blades

Small SAK
Multitool

Extra batteries for everything

Waterproof match case with 30 matches
cigarette lighter
Magnesium firestarter

compass

That tackle tray is combined with

A Buck 119 Special
100 feet of paracord
2 lawn and leaf bags
space blanket
knife sharpener

Inside this pouch my father gave me... it's some super strong waterproof material, bright yellow in color, with a self repairing YKK zipper.

The Main Component is light and portable and will get lighter and less bulky as the supplies are used up. It's a compromise between the likely need of needing an emergency meal or two, the less likely possibility of having to have 3 days worth of eating, and the even less likely possibility of having to survive on the junk in the bag indefinitely.

Everything in here with the possible exception of the humble Buck knife is 100% under the radar. That is done on purpose. I figure if I do get shaken down by someone with overwhelming force, I hope they at least won't take my food and basic tools.

Now this part of the kit of course lives in my truck with the rest of it.

The next module is my Weather/Rescue module. It is housed in a similar pouch as the tools in the Main Component. It includes a full heavy duty rainsuit, etc. as well as a bright orange safety vest, basically all the stuff you'd need to keep dry in whatever weather. It is in its own pouch because it's more for a "Holy crap we've got to go help those people" type emergency. In the event of the balloon going up, I'd leave most of it behind. I might consider taking the waders with me for navigating the river however, and the raincoat I'd probably jerk out for a pack cover if I felt like I needed one. Works pretty good actually.

The next module is my Clothing Module. I have in a vaccum sealed bag to save space inside another of the yellow pouches a sweatshirt, a T shirt, a pair of carpenter's jeans, socks, and boxer shorts. I also have my boots in their own pouch. I look civilian enough in this getup; camoflauge is great and that's what this is. I don't want to look any different from anyone else fleeing the zombie horde.

The idea here is that if I feel like I need it, I strap this pouch on the pack's frame and take it with me. However, most likely if I'm in my work clothes when I bug out, the clothes I wear to work are not rugged nor comfortable or fit for bugging out. The idea is I change into these clothes and the boots.

Finally, I have what I call my Personal Accessories Module. This is a small bag designed to completely replace all the survival accessories I normally carry with me in the event I am caught without them and need to bug out immediately. For instance, I can't carry my pistol at work.

The housing is a County Comm BOB. Inside of it is a Wilderness Tactical belt, a Buck 110, a SwissChamp, a Leatherman Blast, a small radio, a weapon cleaning kit, 200 rounds of ball 9mm ammo and 49 Gold Dots, a CZ 75B with 3 spare 16 round magazines, and a holster.

I plan to add the Kadet Kit to this module and some .22 LR ammunition to go with it. I figure if I'm bugging out, 9mm and .22 LR are two good calibers to be able to shoot.

I also have the Defense Module. In a Katrina type situation where authority is completely gone, I want something for personal protection. This is also my Truck Gun. Right now it's my 1894 in .44 Magnum. I have recently acquired an M1 Carbine which I thing will replace the 1894. I'm in the process of acquiring appropriate web gear to tote it.

This all is of course augmented by the contents of my vehicle, but the idea of this system is that it doesn't need the augmentation per se.

Working on slowly upgrading this stuff.

At any rate the idea is that most of it I would grab or leave behind as the case may be. Captured by the California State Highway Patrol? See if I can take the food and first aid kit. Complete Civil Unrest? Change clothes grab the Main Component and add the Personal Accessories and Defense Modules, etc.

The main part is a civilian looking pack, the Personal accessories are in the County Comm Bail Out Bag, the Defense Module is in its case, and the rest of it is in those bright yellow waterproof pouches.

The idea is if I were naked but had access to this stuff, I could be clothed and protected and fed for a few days, and would have the tools to go longer if I had to.

It really sounds like a lot more than it really is.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
Great listing of stuff! Hope you can get back in the house pretty soon.

·
Super Moderator
13,067 Posts
Euc,

How cool that is! An actual emergency plan and prepardness paying off. I say a BIG CONGRATS is in order here. Great job if you ask me.

Sorry about the inconvenience though, hope it doesn't last long.

Your number one bug-out "shelter" does raise an issue though, what about your gun(s)?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
And a partridge in a pear tree :embarassed:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

That sounds like a plan that was well thought out, :hand10:

I'll probably print that one and work on doing the same.

So, what did you find out, Do you know when you will be able to go home?

Stay Safe, and keep doing the good job of being prepaired.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Glad to see you're safe and you executed a clean bugout. I hope you're able to return home soon and your apartment is intact.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts