Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I received my Dillon Square Deal Press, and moved away from single stage handloading for 9mm, I have cranked out 3K rounds of 9mm.

I am down to:
Primers
1. 2K Winchester Small Pistol Magnum Primers.
2. 2K, Combined, CCI Large Rifle and Winchester Large Rifle.
3. 1K, CCI Small Rifle Magnum.

Powder
1. Less then 1/2 an 8lbs Keg of Bullseye
2. 2lbs of IMR 3031

Bullets.
1. 200 125gr Bonded HP (.38)
2. 500 115gr X-treme RN (9mm)
3. 500 165gr X-treme FP (40S&W)
4. 500 180gr Berry's FP (40S&W)

I have reviewed the stock at local range shop, (best place to go, since they don't price gouge) they have plenty of powder for loading pistol and shotgun, but nothing for Rifle, except maybe N110?? I can provide a list of powders, but on next post, don't have the list handy.

They have 3 x 1lbs of the N110 at $47.95 each container.

With Powder and Primer shortages, I am looking to see what powder I can use to load .308 or .223/5.56 with the rifle primers.

Any suggestions on low cost powder or powder I can use for both of these calibers?

If my math is correct, I need about 6 pounds to get 1K of .308 round loaded, and about 3-4 pounds for .223/5.56 per 1K.

NOW, I want to point out that loading rifle is new to me, I have the dies, but just never got around to it. I am currently purchasing about 100 rounds of WIN white box. 5.56 every two weeks from cabela's at about $14 a box of 20 (while supply last).

Last part, can I use Small Pistol Magnum in either 9mm or 40S&W? I had originally purchased these to load .357 Magnum, but I am out of shells.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Since I received my Dillon Square Deal Press, and moved away from single stage handloading for 9mm, I have cranked out 3K rounds of 9mm.

I am down to:
Primers
1. 2K Winchester Small Pistol Magnum Primers.
2. 2K, Combined, CCI Large Rifle and Winchester Large Rifle.
3. 1K, CCI Small Rifle Magnum.

Powder
1. Less then 1/2 an 8lbs Keg of Bullseye
2. 2lbs of IMR 3031

Bullets.
1. 200 125gr Bonded HP (.38)
2. 500 115gr X-treme RN (9mm)
3. 500 165gr X-treme FP (40S&W)
4. 500 180gr Berry's FP (40S&W)

I have reviewed the stock at local range shop, (best place to go, since they don't price gouge) they have plenty of powder for loading pistol and shotgun, but nothing for Rifle, except maybe N110?? I can provide a list of powders, but on next post, don't have the list handy.

They have 3 x 1lbs of the N110 at $47.95 each container.

With Powder and Primer shortages, I am looking to see what powder I can use to load .308 or .223/5.56 with the rifle primers.

Any suggestions on low cost powder or powder I can use for both of these calibers?

If my math is correct, I need about 6 pounds to get 1K of .308 round loaded, and about 3-4 pounds for .223/5.56 per 1K.

NOW, I want to point out that loading rifle is new to me, I have the dies, but just never got around to it. I am currently purchasing about 100 rounds of WIN white box. 5.56 every two weeks from cabela's at about $14 a box of 20 (while supply last).

Last part, can I use Small Pistol Magnum in either 9mm or 40S&W? I had originally purchased these to load .357 Magnum, but I am out of shells.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Small pistol magnum primers in a mid range 9mm load will be fine. If your at the max I'd say drop it down some 5% to 10% to quell any anxiety.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small pistol magnum primers in a mid range 9mm load will be fine. If your at the max I'd say drop it down some 5% to 10% to quell any anxiety.
Thanks the comment, I was loading the 9mm at 4.2 gr of Bullseye, so I will review and either keep at the measurement or drop it down to 4.0 gr.

Same advise for the 40S&W?? I know this is a higher pressure round, I loaded 500 rounds at 4.5gr of Bullseye for the 180gr Berry's, just to conserve powder, I tested the loads from 4.2 to 5.0.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Personally, I’d be very careful about loading the magnum primers into 40 s&w, unless you know what the pressure increase will be. You may be able to find some load data online but use it at your own risk. Whatever you do, check for pressure signs after your very first round, and be very diligent about making sure your powder measure is accurate.

A good all around powder for 223 and 308 is IMR 4064. A second is Varget. I was fortunate to pick up 3 lbs of Varget recently, but haven’t seen 4064 in a while.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Thanks the comment, I was loading the 9mm at 4.2 gr of Bullseye, so I will review and either keep at the measurement or drop it down to 4.0 gr.

Same advise for the 40S&W?? I know this is a higher pressure round, I loaded 500 rounds at 4.5gr of Bullseye for the 180gr Berry's, just to conserve powder, I tested the loads from 4.2 to 5.0.
Sorry I have zero experience with the 40sw.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I’d be very careful about loading the magnum primers into 40 s&w, unless you know what the pressure increase will be. You may be able to find some load data online but use it at your own risk. Whatever you do, check for pressure signs after your very first round, and be very diligent about making sure your powder measure is accurate.

A good all around powder for 223 and 308 is IMR 4064. A second is Varget. I was fortunate to pick up 3 lbs of Varget recently, but haven’t seen 4064 in a while.

Thanks for the advise, I will stay away from the route, afterall, I shoot more 9mm anyway... I will just purchase some more 9mm X-treme bullets.

Varget and IMR 4064, I will look for some. Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you using magnum primers in 9mm?Or did you use up the spp?
yes, I have used up ALL my standard Small Pistol Primers in 9mm and .38 Special and the 500 40S&W. Bad Thing is I under estimated the amount of loads I would be making when ordered the 8K primers and 8lb. Keg, I still have about 2 to 3 pounds of Bullseye, (rough estimate) in the Keg. So still need about 4K or more Small Pistol Primers.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If you're going to load rifle, I would suggest upgrading and getting a Dillon 550C reloader; It will easily handle all of what you want to load and your dies you have now will work with the machine. I've had mine since 1987 and loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds through it and it still cranks them out just fine......

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're going to load rifle, I would suggest upgrading and getting a Dillon 550C reloader; It will easily handle all of what you want to load and your dies you have now will work with the machine. I've had mine since 1987 and loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds through it and it still cranks them out just fine......
Oh, I would agree, and I am considering one of these, but my previous $700 Dillon Square Deal was my Tax Return, which included a Nice and Shiny M&P 40 Compact 3.6in. I will be looking into one of these, but for right now at the moment, it will be my single stage Lee Presses.

Good Suggestion.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Oh, I would agree, and I am considering one of these, but my previous $700 Dillon Square Deal was my Tax Return, which included a Nice and Shiny M&P 40 Compact 3.6in. I will be looking into one of these, but for right now at the moment, it will be my single stage Lee Presses.

Good Suggestion.
Once you go with Dillon, you never go back from single stage reloading. I suggested the 550C because it is the most versatile machine Dillon makes and handles most rifle calibers with ease.

Good luck with whatever you decide, don't worry you made a great choice with Dillon!

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
If you are not already making max level pistol rounds the mag primers will not make any difference in pressure that you could measure outside of a lab. The mag primers create a longer spark to help ignite compressed loads of slower burning powders. They don't add to the powder charge they burn longer.
The reason they say back down a little from a max load is some peoples max loads are already right at the point of blowing things up and any change should start by reducing the load and working your way back up. But if you are making good middle of the road loads that primer change won't change a thing.
On the powders and primers I would not be buying to stock up right now. until the price comes down a little I would only buy what you need to keep shooting. When prices are better then put in enough stock on your shelves to carry you through the next shortage! Good Luck DR

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
If you are not already making max level pistol rounds the mag primers will not make any difference in pressure that you could measure outside of a lab. The mag primers create a longer spark to help ignite compressed loads of slower burning powders. They don't add to the powder charge they burn longer.
The reason they say back down a little from a max load is some peoples max loads are already right at the point of blowing things up and any change should start by reducing the load and working your way back up. But if you are making good middle of the road loads that primer change won't change a thing.
On the powders and primers I would not be buying to stock up right now. until the price comes down a little I would only buy what you need to keep shooting. When prices are better then put in enough stock on your shelves to carry you through the next shortage! Good Luck DR
Buying powder and primers to stock up on? I haven't seen much of either in over a year.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the list of powders at the local gun range. (Ft. Bliss Rod & Gun Club) Can any of these be used for Rifle?? My research shows that N110 can be used for .308 but seems only with lower grained bullets, I have not researched for .223/5.56. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Tite Group
Green Dot
Trail Boss
N110
HS-6
ZIP
LilGUN
WST
572 Ball
WSF
AA
IMR-GREEN
IMR-RED
IMR 700X
BE-86
American Select
Unique
ProReach
Steel
Herco
20/28
Hodgdon Universal
Hodgdon International
Accurate Nitro 100 NF
Accurate No. 9
Ramshot True Blue

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
This is the list of powders at the local gun range. (Ft. Bliss Rod & Gun Club) Can any of these be used for Rifle?? My research shows that N110 can be used for .308 but seems only with lower grained bullets, I have not researched for .223/5.56. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Tite Group
Green Dot
Trail Boss
N110
HS-6
ZIP
LilGUN
WST
572 Ball
WSF
AA
IMR-GREEN
IMR-RED
IMR 700X
BE-86
American Select
Unique
ProReach
Steel
Herco
20/28
Hodgdon Universal
Hodgdon International
Accurate Nitro 100 NF
Accurate No. 9
Ramshot True Blue
Think you need to find another source if you want a rifle powder for 223 and 308. Try some of the online sources (Powder Valley, Grafs, even brownells and midway). You will get stuck paying hazmat but if you order enough it may be worth it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Think you need to find another source if you want a rifle powder for 223 and 308. Try some of the online sources (Powder Valley, Grafs, even brownells and midway). You will get stuck paying hazmat but if you order enough it may be worth it.
I just started to look, but this what local shop had on hand that I figure I might research. From what I can tell most of these are gauge/pistol, I don't need any more pistol, but might just get to stock up, avoid the HAZMAT Fee. I have not been looking for powder, since I have the Bullseye, but now that I am almost out of pistol primers, I figured I would look at Rifle, I originally purchased the IMR-3031 for that reason, but never got around to it, now seems like a good time. I can get about 300 rounds of .308 out of the IMR-3031 (2lbs) or 500 rounds of .223/5.56, since I only have one brick of Small Rifle Primers. I will do some more looking around and see of the cost increase is WAY TOO much to pay at the moment. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Feel your pain, I picked up a Dillon Super 1050 in Feb. 2020, bad timing went through my stock of SPP's pretty quickly and started scrounging & begging close friends for some!
Finally found enough to keep me from wailing in the night, but barely! Have seen a few come available this summer, and snagged all I could. But haven't seen any for a while. Check Federal Reloading Supplies for Sale | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore on occasion they get some, but at really high prices!
I'm afraid some of my good friends may want me to return the favor around Christmas and I hate being secretive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts