Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this a couple of weeks ago, and carry it for left hand use in combination with a Spartan Blades Ares for my right hand. It's a large version of the Ka-Bar TDI law enforcement. I mainly carry it on my pack, but the carry options are only limited to your imagination & personal preference. In addition, you can get a compatible metal belt clip for it, also made by Ka-Bar, which comes with the smaller version of the knife. here are a couple of pictures: 486r6kY.jpg eg1w858.jpg

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
That KA-BAR is a good design for a get-off-me blade; a combination punching/slashing blade designed for gross motor skills and easy to hang on to.

Good choice!

Reactions: Scott Mehus

·
Registered
222 Posts
Before I retired, a lot of Officers carried them on their "duty-belts". I never liked them for "duty-carry" because of their easy access to others in a combative situation (at least for an Officer) being on the belt. Many times the Officers had to "go hands on" and it made it very easy for combatants to grab the knife and use it against the Officer. About 5 years ago one of our Officers got his throat cut by his own knife during such a confrontation and my department banned them (which I thought was a good decision). Fortunately the Officer survived, but very nearly lost his life.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I always carry a knife, but not for SD. I can stop someone just as quickly with a kuboton-like flashlight, but it is much less likely he will die later, leading to complications I don't want.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I always carried a knife, but not for SD. I always had it in case I needed to cut loose a jammed seat belt in a motor vehicle accident. There are other situations where a knife is handy but MVAs was my primary reason.
I'd have to say, I don't remember a single officer in my dept. ever using a knife for defense, there are better, less risky, means of SD.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
People have been using knives as a force multiplier for thousands of years.. only the rarest few were trained knife fighters. In the absence of more effective tools, the knife certainly holds a universally accepted relevance in regards to combat. To that end, I think it is a reasonable addition to any self defense system. I would certainly rather have it than not if the alternative is an empty hand. I have a (Izula II) on my single sling pack.

I always have a assisted opening folder clipped to my right front pocket and a vintage case stockman in my front left. I use the stockman for darn near everything and only carry the large folder as a weapon or seat belt cutter. My EDC gun is carried 8:30 (left side).

I think your setup is fine, if you don't mind how obvious it is. I bought one of those knives a while back but never really liked it. The ergonomics of that type of knife is just very unnatural in my hands. I got rid of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just received this a couple of weeks ago, and carry it for left hand use in combination with a Spartan Blades Ares for my right hand. It's a large version of the Ka-Bar TDI law enforcement. I mainly carry it on my pack, but the carry options are only limited to your imagination & personal preference. In addition, you can get a compatible metal belt clip for it, also made by Ka-Bar, which comes with the smaller version of the knife. here are a couple of pictures: View attachment 327246 View attachment 327248
I recently acquired this.
To my way of thinking it ends the conversation.
Devastating.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
This configuration is ”just not for me,” but seems to work for a number of folks, which is a good thing. Enjoy!

To elaborate, I can appreciate a curved handle, and/or a curved blade, being a long-term fan of the karambit, but a TDI-like bend, right at the junction of the handle and blade, so that it mimics a pistol, can result in my drawing the weapon with my index finger “indexed” along the blade, and my middle finger so close to the blade that there is no unsharpened area with room to quickly tuck my index finger into place.

·
Registered
318 Posts
No arguing I'd rather have a knife than bare hands, but that's not a very real world scenario.
- I'd rather run than fight with a knife.
- I'd rather use pepper spray than fight with a knife, man or beast.
- I'd rather use a firearm, even at close distances, even more so with animals.

I'd also rather explain to LEO and in court why I pepper sprayed or shot the guy at point blank range than explain why I made the decision to overpower someone in hand-to-hand combat "while in fear for my life."

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My karambit is on weak side to gain space to draw my firearm.
My strong side hand can try to keep the firearm in the holster while the karambit works on tendons, eyes, arteries, etc. Disable their (most likely) strong arm by disconnecting tendons. Return slash across eyes if needed.
The longer they drag this out the weaker they'll get from blood loss.
Hopefully they disengage and run off, because once there's space I'm drawing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
No arguing I'd rather have a knife than bare hands, but that's not a very real world scenario.
  • I'd rather run than fight with a knife.
  • I'd rather use pepper spray than fight with a knife, man or beast.
  • I'd rather use a firearm, even at close distances, even more so with animals.
I'd also rather explain to LEO and in court why I pepper sprayed or shot the guy at point blank range than explain why I made the decision to overpower someone in hand-to-hand combat "while in fear for my life."
The knife is designed to be easily gripped and deployed by your weak hand. A primary use is for when your weapon hand is incapacitated, e.g., an assailant is grappling with you, or trying to wrest your gun from you holster, or a dog has your draw-side arm in its jaws. If that is the case, I'd rather have the knife in my weak hand over pepper spray. These are designed for last-ditch options. They have a specific use for specific situations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts