Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to go along with my everyday carry setup. I will wear it for a week to see it it's something I wan't to commit to. I am hoping that it doesn't make me sweat. Other than that, it's lightweight, low profile, and very comfortable.

I know that many who ccw, don't wear armor. However, if all goes well, I hope I will be able to transition into any uncomfortableness like I did when I first started carrying. The vest is not rated to stop rifle rounds, but it's a start in the right direction as I welcome any tactical advantage in a firefight.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Being the sweat-bucket I am I doubt I could tolerate wearing one, tho just occasionally would like the option.

Any pic of this one? How was cost - steep?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am with Chris, I have to have air blowing on me at all times while in the car. I just plain run hot. I have looked at vests but couldn't tolerate the heat it would generate. Winter wear would be ok though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wore one daily for 14 years. Uncomfortable?? Yes......except when someone pointed a gun at me.

Still wear one when traveling or training.

Quality vests are not cheap..and I always bought the best. The one I keep in the truck is 20+ years old and i would not hesitate to wear it today. Newer ones are lighter and more comfortable.

They do a nice job keeping the chest warm...regardless of the temp!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Be sure to wear rubber shoes with it - a licensed, carrying citizen is more likely to be struck by lightning than shot. :wink:

So why didn't you get Threat Level III?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Not only in a firefight but also attack from a bladed object and to a certin extent, impact wounds.

I can't/wont, but if you can tolerate it,hey.......more power to ya. -------

·
Registered
950 Posts
For a civilian I think that is a waste of money. Now, if you got money to waste, I could give you my information and send me a check. :danceban:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I have 1 I use for night time prowlers now. keep it under the mattress and ready to go. I say wear it if ya can stand it. As for me, i sweat too much. Heck I will wear a t shirt in the winter , while the girlfriend is bundled in swaters and 4 layers of clothes.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Not in Michigan

Rocky,

I agree with you and if I remember correctly they are illegal to own in Michigan unless you are LEO.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Never heard of body armor illegal in MI. Last I knew it was illegal for felons to possess though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK everyone, I just finished the day with the vest and I must say, I am impressed with how comfortable I was. It did keep me pretty warm though but since I'm a pretty skinny guy it would probably take more to make me sweat.

P95 Carry, to answer your question, I purchased the vest used but in good condition from a pawn shop for $90, I'll try and post a pic of it on me with all of my carry gear so you guys can see how easily I can conceal it all. And Erich, It's actually a level 3A, I just checked the inside panels and it really made my day when I found that out. A good condition (made in 2001) level 3A for only $90 is a steal in my mind. Did I just get luck or is this vest not that good compared to others? Looking back on it, I should have checked it before I purchased it but the guy said it was a level 2 and I believed him as I have done business with him before. Guess I just lucked out this time.

Here is the link to the website for my model of vest, its called the scorpion but they don't list prices so I have no idea what it's worth. http://body-armor.com/vest_style_display.php?style=3&
if you look at the bottom of the page and select the armor lite ballistic series, you can see my model number GP-1000-IIIA.

I don't even think I have to decide if I will wear this everyday. This much protection for so little cost, not just money wise but also concealment and comfort wise. You'll see what I mean when I post a pic. The only problem I can forsee with wearing this armor is that when I go to give someone a hug, they will probably feel it and wonder why I'm wearing it, possibly blowing my cover, maybe I'll just wear a thick jacket when I go to visit family, it's Washington state so thats not too unusual. Anyway, sorry if I was rambling, I'm just excited because I thought as a poor college student, I wouldn't be able to afford a Level3A, I thought I was getting a steal when I thought it was a level 2. Basically, I think I've got a new addition to my daily carry!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, if it's undamaged. Those things aren't real cheap.

I've heard that vests are also credited with a few "saves" from ordinary vehicle accidents.

I don't know that I'd wear one on a daily basis unless I had been personally threatened, but if I had one I'd sure wear it to any public shooting range. Might save you from some idiot.

KC

·
Registered
249 Posts
SSKC said:
......but if I had one I'd sure wear it to any public shooting range. Might save you from some idiot. KC
Even one idiot at the range is reason enough. I wear one everytime I go to the range.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Wearing avest makes just as much sense as CC. You're just as unlikely to need either a vest or a gun, but if you need the one it would be nice to have the other.

I never can undertand people who are willing to carry a gun that they're vastly unlikely to need, and then criticize those who decide to try a vest. Pot-Kettle.

If you can get used to wearing it I say go for it. I have a military IBAS without the plates that I keep around for truely SHTF situations. It's equivelent, more or less, to Level II.

I've thought about buying a used Level II or IIA myself.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
If you can afford one it's a good idea to wear one trekking through heavily wooded and brush areas also where there is a chance that you could be confused for Bambi and catch a misguided thumper.

·
Registered
419 Posts
P95Carry said:
Being the sweat-bucket I am I doubt I could tolerate wearing one, tho just occasionally would like the option.

Any pic of this one? How was cost - steep?
Yah; ^^ What he said..! ^^

erh :image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Vests can and do break down over time, heat, moisture and flexing of the panels will wear em out. So just be aware some may not stop all they are suposed to or not at all with a used vest. That said , I tested a IIA vest that was an 80's issue. it stopped .40 S&W just fine.
You might wan to read up on what is recommended for storage and care. Also consider underarmor or similar shirt to help cool you and possibly protect the vest from sweat.

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
Sunlight & UV can also deteriorate KEVLAR.

And also remember that Second Chance Body Armor had issues with a defective formulation of Kevlar.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
12 hr. shift only.
Cant get it off quick enough.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts