Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stumbling out the door at 5:30AM to go to the gym this morning. I interrupted two youths in the process of breaking into my neighbor's car.

Luckily, they both took off as fast as their legs would carry them.

The worst part about it (except for living in the ghetto where crime is an every-day problem) is that all of this took me completely by surprise. I should have been much, much more aware of myself and my surroundings when heading out into the dark.

I'm just glad I didn't have to learn this lesson "the hard way."

·
Banned
151 Posts
Welcome to the hood

Sounds like you'r living in my hood. yeah anytime you leave the safety of you'r home you gotta be ready for anything. I go to gym also but not at that early hour. I always take my gun along hope you also had you'rs. Around here even the teen thugs are armed and are just stupid enough to shoot you. Yesterday this young thug held up this dude leaving his Apt. When all the money he had turned out to be coins. The thug shot him dead right on the spot. Crazy? you bet but that don't bring the dead guy back to life. I think a person is in danger anytime he feels he is not. Stay armed stay alert stay alive longer hopefully.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
mz - you just got a shot of ''wake-up'' juice. :wink:

Despite the time of day and no doubt too you were not up to speed physiologically, it sure proves how ''expect the unexpected'' can be a good mantra.

I often remind myself of this each time, at night in particular, I walk across a mere 25 yards from office to house - it's at rear but even so I try to always scan and expect ''something'' - just because the one time I fail so to do could be a time that I need to be alert - as ever - who knows?!

Glad you had nothing other than a wake-up scare - but is sure proves a point, ever more reminding us to stay in yellow, at all times.

I'll be honest - however much I try - I know that could have been me - I have caught lapses at times.

Your neighbor can be thankful too!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Glad you are o.k. I think reminders like this help us all to be on guard, as you never know when or where there will be trouble. Could of been any of us caught off guard.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks for reminding all of us to stay sharp.
Mike

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah, any time I leave the house. I keep my head on a constant swivel.

No matter where your at, always watch your 6!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
First let me say I live in the burbs, but when I walk out to the PU in the early AM the .45 is in the right hand and the M6X in the left pocket, there have been dogs running loose several times, and I do not take kindly to some strange dog growing and bearing teeth at me in my own yard, been bit once that was enough. So a BG breaking in to my neighbors car.. if it is the one behind me they can have what ever they want of his.

·
Registered
822 Posts
One of the things that I try to do (now) is watch after the neighborhood. After the original owner of the house across the street died and his scum of a wife moved in her boyfriend (drug addict) as well as allow other meth heads to move in to "do work", the neighborhood has gone down hill. The crime rate in the last couple of months (around 6+) has gone from 1% to around 35% and the LEO's still haven't put 1+1 together yet (not their fault, they are always being shorted on funds so the city has some excuse to raise taxes each year) to get these people moved.

Well, I have and now I'm being targetted by them but I don't care. I just went into yellow and just stay there most of the time. If not in yellow then in Orange/Red especially at night. Plays hell on the sleep and stress deal.

But the thing is, always be aware. I've had a crash course on that during the last couple of months and it gets old really quickly.

Wayne

·
Registered
744 Posts
Glad you are ok. Rocky has it right, could have been any of us. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You know I have got to say that since this thread I have been a lot more observant when going out to the PU in the pre dawn hours, (still have HK in right hand).

·
Banned
151 Posts
Wayne:

Sounds like you live in the same type of hood as I things sure have gone down hill over the past 30 some years.

I understand the being targeted deal. They move in and start looking around to see who is going to not like their low class whoring drug dealing life styles.

And all of a sudden you'r having to be on guard when you step out the front door.

It's really happening all over my crime infested cowtown and the stupid Chief of Police went public on local TV news saying his men were being over run by the crimes being committed every night.

Now even the thugs know they have nothing to worry about from our local Cops.

You'r not alone I have a good idea many on this forum have the same things happening to them they just don't want to admit it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I leave for work when it's dark and leave back for home when it's dark, so I'm always in the "yellow"....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts