• Yes.

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • No.

Votes: 9 17.3%
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Don't like carrying a gun. Heavy, burdensome. Another thing to keep up with.

Also hate to think about injuring someone. Unfortunately older folks are targets and as @G-man* stated society has gone in the crapper.

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Then don't carry. Men have been killing each other for millennia.
Sometimes I don’t...but unfortunately sometimes, it is a prudent to have a measure of insurance.
Sure, people have been killing people since the first recorded murder.
However, it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Reactions: Rexster

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,104 Posts
I like being able to protect myself and my family from both two legged and four legged predators. I like concealed carry and I like open carry better. I have been carrying when and where legal since 1963. The weight of a full size gun in a large caliber and reloads does not bother me at all.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yes because I can and it's good to have the right tool for the job at hand, kind of like having a hammer to drive a nail instead of finding a suitable stone. It's not a job that I would like to have to do but I live on a planet where there is no shortage of people who do like to do that job. Just leave me alone, I leave you alone.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Didn't answer the poll as I do not fit into either answer.
Do I enjoy carrying? Yes and no. Sometimes it is a PITA. It changes the way I live my life. No more going out getting drunk and howling at the moon. I love firearms, love to shoot them, love tinkering with them. Carrying is a big responsibility and sometimes I just wish I did not feel the need to strap one on. But I do everyday, all day.
But I do feel the need and feel blessed to have the ability to defend myself and my loved ones
My "howl at the moon days" ended in 1976. You're right it is a big responsibility, I pray I never need.
Re-reading Jeff Cooper's book "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" written in late '80's. He comments on the craziness and lawlessness of back then. Now it's on steroids, just as those of us who had rational, non-drug affected mental capacities anticipated. But it does seem to be at a different level now.
I too wish we didn't have to worry about it, but as Jeff opines it is just a matter of life. Evil and danger is always lurking out there eyeing us. The unwary are just their natural prey.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I sincerely hope that everyone who carries does not take delight in preparation of injuring or ending a life. I hope that it will never come to that because it will be a tremendous weight to carry. It would only be mitigated by knowledge of a life saved.
Absolutely not.

When I was hired as a cop in 1992 KY did not have concealed carry for "regular citizens"; I was a gun enthusiast already, being able to conceal carry off duty as a cop was a bonus of the job. Quit in 1994 for different a career and temporarily lost my legal concealed carry perk. In 1996 KY citizens got concealed carry and myself and my wife were among the first to apply.
I like guns, I like shooting and I like concealed carry as much now as I did over 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
I've become comfortable with carrying but it would be nice if I didn't feel like I have to. Sometimes I do have to take it off especially when I have to climb a tower. Makes me vulnerable but the extra weight is something I don't need and it gets in the way.

Reactions: Sister and G-man*

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
I live in a small town where we have crazy but not big city crazy . I dont feel the need to carry as much as I should ..

I agree it is a bit of a comfterying though to have big iron on the hip .. But sad at the same time to think one might need to have big iron in the modern age ..

Reactions: Sister and G-man*

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Do you like carrying?
Like?

Well, not really. It's not that I dislike it, either. It's just one of those "just in case" things that I do. I don't wear flip-flops when I leave the house. I keep a half tank of gas in my vehicles. I keep a couple of fire extinguishers in the house and one in each vehicle.

I used to be a Boy Scout; "Be prepared."

·
Registered
42,330 Posts
No, I don't. I want to live where carrying a gun and self protection is unnecessary, just like that place where "Shall not Infringe" is a reality, even though neither place exists.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
In the old days, one never had to ask another if they enjoyed carrying a well crafted tool that could come in handy when they needed it. People were always proud to wear a Rolex, or even a Timex, have a nice Buck folder or Swiss Army knife or even (gasp) a Zippo lighter. These days people are all about showing off their latest phone or smartwatch.
Why should guns be any different?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
No, I don't. I want to live where carrying a gun and self protection is unnecessary, just like that place where "Shall not Infringe" is a reality, even though neither place exists.
I want to live in a place where, when it's necessary to do so, I know that I will be supported by a system that recognizes my right to defend my life and loved one's at the least, and certainly one that includes doing so for my property that I earned through my own efforts. And if I fall doing so, one where the authorities will seek justice on my behalf.
Sort of the direct opposite of the world I live in now.

·
Premium Member
8,590 Posts
Such a place does exist! That is the place where you can ride this off into the sunset:

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I like the idea of taking the responsibility for my own safety - as best I can, realizing that I may fail at it. I like shooting firearms and appreciate their mechanical design. But there are a number of issues about carrying that are not pleasant. Shooting and carrying are two very different things.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I like the idea of taking the responsibility for my own safety - as best I can, realizing that I may fail at it. I like shooting firearms and appreciate their mechanical design. But there are a number of issues about carrying that are not pleasant. Shooting and carrying are two very different things.
And the issues about carrying are artificially constructed.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts