1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for serious defensive use it fails one major criteria badly

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=17881&return=Y

No iron sights...

Why oh why do they keep making rifles that don't have an option to get some iron sights? Not every shot made with an all purpose rifle is going to be at 200+ yards.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add fixed sights to a rifle that doesn't have them? I've heard of converting sights but never just adding sights where there were none before.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
No iron sights...

Because it's Ruger version of a scout rifle.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Iffen you want a .308 w/ iron sights you already have lots of options out there. I have delt w/ that Ruger 3/4 rail and/or ring system a couple of times and it (to me) is a pain in the butt. You should consider a FN-FAL. They all shoot great for what they was intended to be used for. Parts galore at TAPCO also. ----------

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Euclidean said:
...for serious defensive use it fails one major criteria badly

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=17881&return=Y

No iron sights...

Why oh why do they keep making rifles that don't have an option to get some iron sights? Not every shot made with an all purpose rifle is going to be at 200+ yards.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add fixed sights to a rifle that doesn't have them? I've heard of converting sights but never just adding sights where there were none before.
XS Sights has the express set-up that can be soldered, or drilled and tapped, in place. Of course, for the same money, you should be able to find a Steyr Forrester, or Tactical, SBS, add +/- $80 for the high-cap (10 rnd) adaptor. I cut 2" off my 20.5" Tactical's barrel, and it still out shoots the PSS I had- from a pod and rest- out to 200 yds. (Haven't been to a longer range :biggrin: ) Not the Sig TRG, but the bolt movement is really nice on my Steyr.....

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RSSZ said:
Iffen you want a .308 w/ iron sights you already have lots of options out there. I have delt w/ that Ruger 3/4 rail and/or ring system a couple of times and it (to me) is a pain in the butt. You should consider a FN-FAL. They all shoot great for what they was intended to be used for. Parts galore at TAPCO also. ----------
Well in all honesty I don't see the FAL as a general purpose type rifle, but I have considered one.

I'd be a while saving up for one as any FAL is about $1800 minimum, but it'd be worth it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'd be a while saving up for one as any FAL is about $1800 minimum, but it'd be worth it.
Not that high Euc - that would be IMO very ''top end''.

My FAL was bought used but is built on an Imbel and is a superb rifle - I forget exact amount paid cos I took a Romanian SKS off the guy as well - I don't remember paying out much more than $800 tops for whole deal.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My most expensive, including the super-expensive DSA scope mount and the night vision scope, barely touched that.

Most have clocked in at 500 (if I build back when stuff was cheaper) to $800ish for a decent mid-line beast.

For $1800, you best be buying an actual FN Belgium factory gun.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Only on CC Euc - only on CC!! :biggrin:

Now come back ya hear!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts