Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrshonts and I are going to be backpacking all spring and summer, and so I've attached my Ka-Bar Camp Knife to my backpack. It's mounted upside-down for swift left-hand draw. I'm not sure what I'll need to draw down on swiftly with my Ka-Bar, :biggrin: but any "edge" I can get, I'll do.

It's already had good duty hacking firewood for camp fires, and it does an excellent job of it. The deep belly is a great shape for this job. The Ka-Bar Camp Knife is a good general outdoor use knife.

The black coating helps resists rust, and the grips fit my hands well and aren't slippery, even after some long, tiring hacking.

I accidentally hit some rock and chipped a bit out of the edge, but my EdgePro fixed it in no time.

I gave my old BK&T Combat Utility 7 to mrshonts, and he has strapped to his backpack. That big knife was better suited for his big paws.

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Boy, Ka-Bars have changed since I got mine. Actually mine is a Navy Mk II by Camillus, a variation of the old military "ka-bar".

Now thew current "duty" long blade is the M11. It's made BY Lan-Cay.

Guess yours just took me by surprise...... Not the knife I was expecting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dang Betty...nice knife! Since you'll be gettin' the grub and hackin' up the firewood, will mrshonts be doin' the cookin? :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang Betty...nice knife! Since you'll be gettin' the grub and hackin' up the firewood, will mrshonts be doin' the cookin?
Yeah, right!* :tongue: The fire was was for cookin' Smores. We brought MREs for dinner. :biggrin:

*Disclaimer: I am not in any way suggesting that mrshonts cannot cook. He can cook, especially if it involves pretzels and chocolate.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
I always liked MREs. They are MUCH better than C Rations and ideal for carrying while backpacking.... :wink:

·
Administrator
143,809 Posts
Betty

That is a great looking all 'round knife. I like the "back pack mount" idea.
I will hafta post a photo here tomorrow of my favorite "well worn" general "camp" knife.
It is getting pretty darn old and pathetic looking. Like me. haha :biggrin:
Maybe I'll shop for a Ka~Bar as your "knife of choice" has a much better & more useful edge profile.
Enjoy your excursions with Mrshonts.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
rstickle said:
Boy, Ka-Bars have changed since I got mine. Actually mine is a Navy Mk II by Camillus, a variation of the old military "ka-bar".

Now thew current "duty" long blade is the M11. It's made BY Lan-Cay.

Guess yours just took me by surprise...... Not the knife I was expecting.
Me too, expected a traditional K-bar combat knife. Thats what I use for camping, survival,hiking.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Personally, I carry an Emerson CQB tactical folder 3.5. It easy to carry anywhere, gets the job done and has a quick deployment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First, the military does away with the .45 in favor of a 9mm, now you tell us their combat knives are not K Bars (or same pattern by Camillus)? What is the world coming to? I still haven't gotten over the demise of the 426 Hemi.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Phil Elmore said:
Ka-Bar's Dozier folders are among the best buys in inexpensive locking folders -- incredibly good workmanship for a very low price.
KA-BAR gave both Nighthawk and myself one of those knives and had Bob Dozier engrave them. Sorta crummy pics of a pretty handy little low cost knife. :smile:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Betty

I really need to know. Where are you going to pack your 11-87 for this trip? :jongleur:

I can't really see you back on the trail with less than two pistolas to go with your big blade...I know I wouldn't be...

Tell us...we are all friends here... :fest06:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guns? In state parks? What guns? :sheep:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts