Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a year looking for mine. Everywhere I went they were sold out or just sold an hour before I got there (head scratch). Anyways, I took it out Thursday and I was happy to hit steel plates out to 25 yards. I couldn't hit steel at 50 yards, yet. That will take some time I guess.

Anyways, I am using a Nemesis holster to conceal it in the pocket or IWB. However, since I'm losing weight, the IWB is starting to fail me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very nice, congratulation! I have it's brother 642.
They do take some practice time but I love the size for those quick trips to the store or when I'm on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Nice snub, i carry speed strips and only reload from them at the range, its amazing how fast you will become.

·
Registered
45,367 Posts
If you need to be able hit steel plates at 50 yards with a snubbie, it's probably going to be hard to claim self defense at that range.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Very comfortable gun to CC... I also OC with this one as well... just a different holster.

And, I don't worry about any targets outside of 7-15 feet. So don't sweat the 50 foot targets...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I got both a 638 and a LCR. Although the LCR trigger is better and a tad lighter. I like the J frame better hands down. Its a tad smaller which helps for pocket carry and I don't get near the felt recoil as I do with the LCR.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very comfortable gun to CC... I also OC with this one as well... just a different holster.

And, I don't worry about any targets outside of 7-15 feet. So don't sweat the 50 foot targets...
50 yards, not feet. It's more of a challenge. I don't think anything beyond 25 yards would be justifiable for defense unless it was like the Aurora Massacre.

My friend can do 50 and 75 yards. It just goes to show you that these guns are more than capable in the right hands.

I feel very comfortable with this revolver. I was just happy to find one at a good price.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I carry one everyday. Imo it is the easiest package to carry. Love mine, enjoy it, and stay safe.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Congrats on the 442

I wanted one for a couple years and finally bought one last summer. I've never shot or carried it. Go figure. I still like the gun.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I love my 442 also...one of the most versatile carry guns available.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 442 and a 642, its my EDC...I have tried to carry others but inside the pocket this thing is perfect

You need to try the "blackhawk" pocket holster, sold at walmart or amazon, I tried a bunch before this one...its soft but rides well.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Yup...that gun rocks. Great looking piece!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
IMHO the stubbies are not right for everyone but are right for some people.

Back in the day, in the late 1970's, when we carried revolvers on duty, they were the rage. everyone wanted one. The Detectives, the Chief and our other plains clothes LEO all carried one. I carried one as a BUG for a while. Some of plains clothes LEO forwent the S&W "J: frames and carried S&W model 19 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel.
I then went to either a BHP or a Colt Combat commander, which ever was grabbed for the day. as either one was my becoming my daily BUG. I always liked the extra rounds and the ease of reloading. Back then I was also shooting PPC revolver style and speed loaders was not uncommon for me.

The USMC trained me, prior to becoming a LEO on the 1911 and other magazine feed weapons, (BAR, M-3 grease gun M-14, and M-16) and it just stuck.

Over the years I have obtained and carried the S&W J frames, but for some reason have "I" always felt under gunned.

I now live in Arizona in an rural area, 15 miles north of our southern border and it takes the SO around 45 minutes to respond.

About 3 months ago I returned home and found a strange pickup truck, with out of state New Mexico plates, with 4 unknown male adults inside, the truck headlights were turned off, no truck interior lights were on sitting in my driveway. My driveway is about 1/8 a mile off the main road, you have to drive there to get there. My nearest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away. That night I was armed only with my S&W 642, as I had taken the wife to dinner at a local supper club and had chosen something I could slip in my front pocket.. I wished right then and there I had been armed with one of my 1911 45 ACP's.

I called the SO and parked my car about 50 yrds from the house, I watched them for about 10 minutes and then they drove off. I could see my 101 lb GSD dog inside the fenced in yard giving them hell, So I was secure in the fact that no one had entered my house.

The SO patrol showed up about 30 minutes after they left and didn't take any report as no crime had been committed. "If they come back give us a call"

Checking the driveway area I found an empty 6 pack of Bud light cans and cigarette butts scattered everywhere. I was only gone for about an 1 1/2 hours but they had apparently been then for a while.

FWIW I no longer own a "Stubbie" but I do not disagree with anyone wanting to own or carry one. Everyone has to make their choices depending on where they live and what makes them comfortable.

Reactions: Kadonny

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I just picked up an LCR on saturday, but I will have a 442 one day...... maybe even a classic chiefs special. There is something about wheel guns that I really like. A ruger SP101 is on my hit list as well

Reactions: BigJon10125

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
IMHO the stubbies are not right for everyone but are right for some people.

Back in the day, in the late 1970's, when we carried revolvers on duty, they were the rage. everyone wanted one. The Detectives, the Chief and our other plains clothes LEO all carried one. I carried one as a BUG for a while. Some of plains clothes LEO forwent the S&W "J: frames and carried S&W model 19 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel.
I then went to either a BHP or a Colt Combat commander, which ever was grabbed for the day. as either one was my becoming my daily BUG. I always liked the extra rounds and the ease of reloading. Back then I was also shooting PPC revolver style and speed loaders was not uncommon for me.

The USMC trained me, prior to becoming a LEO on the 1911 and other magazine feed weapons, (BAR, M-3 grease gun M-14, and M-16) and it just stuck.

Over the years I have obtained and carried the S&W J frames, but for some reason have "I" always felt under gunned.

I now live in Arizona in an rural area, 15 miles north of our southern border and it takes the SO around 45 minutes to respond.

About 3 months ago I returned home and found a strange pickup truck, with out of state New Mexico plates, with 4 unknown male adults inside, the truck headlights were turned off, no truck interior lights were on sitting in my driveway. My driveway is about 1/8 a mile off the main road, you have to drive there to get there. My nearest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away. That night I was armed only with my S&W 642, as I had taken the wife to dinner at a local supper club and had chosen something I could slip in my front pocket.. I wished right then and there I had been armed with one of my 1911 45 ACP's.

I called the SO and parked my car about 50 yrds from the house, I watched them for about 10 minutes and then they drove off. I could see my 101 lb GSD dog inside the fenced in yard giving them hell, So I was secure in the fact that no one had entered my house.

The SO patrol showed up about 30 minutes after they left and didn't take any report as no crime had been committed. "If they come back give us a call"

Checking the driveway area I found an empty 6 pack of Bud light cans and cigarette butts scattered everywhere. I was only gone for about an 1 1/2 hours but they had apparently been then for a while.

FWIW I no longer own a "Stubbie" but I do not disagree with anyone wanting to own or carry one. Everyone has to make their choices depending on where they live and what makes them comfortable.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My friend has been able to hit the steel plates at 75 and 50 yards. So when I got mine, I tried yesterday to go further. It took 8 attempts but I finally was able to do it, when I realized where to aim with it. It's not practical but I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of doing it, at least.

He put an Apex Tactical Kit into his but I'm happy with the feel of the factory springs. I'll stick to factory for now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had one since they first came out and carried it as a primary for years. Before that it was a Detective Special which held one more round. The main issue I have with it is as a lefty shooter, I've never been quick with a speedloader so reloading one of these in a stress situation is something I think about. I'll still carry it from time to time because I can shoot it well and the .38 Hydra-Shok round is pretty good. However, these days, I'm more likely to be carrying my LCP with 7 rounds of Gold Dots. It's all a trade off, I suppose. Still, the 442 is one of the great CCWs I've ever run across (as long as you're good with 5 rounds).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts