Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Taurus Model 85, .38 special, 2", stainless steel and it has been a great gun. Never a single problem with it.

I shot it in a IDPA "BUG" match last weekend and took 5th place. There were two other revolvers there, a S&W 442 and a S&W Performance Center J-frame. The rest of the guys were shooting compact 1911s, M&Ps and XDs.

I was pretty happy to place where I did, especially considering I was shooting "the worst gun" there!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
my Rossi 462 .357 Magnum is now made by Taurus. Accurate, reliable and have never had an issue.
At 26 oz, it handles full charge magnums with ease.

....yes, I know, its junk and should throw it away.....but it works.

Congrats on the IDPA match.....that's some stiff competition

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I don't care what is stamped on the side, if YOU like it and it works for YOU then more power to you. Personally, I tried Taurus and I don't trust them any more after the issues I have had. If yours has worked perfect for you then that's awesome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sure many Taurus firearms are great, but my one example piece, a 709 Slim, was the worst firearm I ever owned. Glad you like yours though!

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I don't care what is stamped on the side, if YOU like it and it works for YOU then more power to you. Personally, I tried Taurus and I don't trust them any more after the issues I have had. If yours has worked perfect for you then that's awesome!
Yup, I totally agree (on the personal preference part). If you like it, you trust it and it works well for you then you get nothing but the double thumbs up from me. I have a 20 year old Taurus 92 that's never been anything other than a rock solid performer.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I had a Taurus .357 4 inch barrel that I had for 15years with no issues. I sold it to a friend about 3 years ago because he wanted to get into guns.I wish I never sold itHe turned around a year later and sold it to his daughters boyfriend. It was a decent gun I should of just kept.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've never owned a Taurus, but I agree with what was said above. Doesn't matter what's stamped on it, as long as it works for you and you're happy.

Oh, and congrats on your 5th.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
So glad this was not another Taurus " bash." My 709 Slim is a great gun--- for me. Some guns good, some guns bad: and this goes for some models of the same brand of guns! Reminds me that a friend once had a sleek Jag sports car and it was a piece of junk.On the other hand, my son had a Ford Pinto and it took him where he wanted to go with no trouble!:wink:

Reactions: JoJoGunn

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
So glad this was not another Taurus " bash." My 709 Slim is a great gun--- for me. Some guns good, some guns bad: and this goes for some models of the same brand of guns! Reminds me that a friend once had a sleek Jag sports car and it was a pice of junk.On the other hand, my son had a Ford Pinto and it took him where he wanted to go with no trouble!:wink:
My first Taurus is the PT 709 Slim (pictured in my avatar) Like others, heard the horror stories but mine out of the box with good Winchester and Tula-cheap ammo fired flawlessly for the near 70+ rounds I was able to fire that day. I like the Taurus and like others say to the OP, if you like it, and it works for you, then that is good.

·
Registered
41,595 Posts
I traded my Taurus in on a Malibu and never looked back.

Huh? :confused: Never mind... :embarassed:

Reactions: JD

·
Registered
100 Posts
My first pistol was a Taurus, I sold it cheap and bought a Sig. From experience I see Taurus as a risky buy, with a higher chance of getting a lemon than Glock, Sig, S&W, and Ruger. When it comes to firearms I don't believe in taking risks, so I would never purchase a Taurus ever again.

That's not to say they haven't built a few guns that will run without a flaw, I wish I got one of those guns but it was not meant to be. Congrats on your shooting, as long as its reliable and you can put the holes where you want then its the right gun for you.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
My personal experienced with Taurus was a few steps short of mind numbinly horrible, but if your works and you like it, enjoy it for many years to come

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got four Taurus revolvers and three Taurus autos and they all work just fine. I did have that little TP22 with the tip up barrel, that one not so much.

John

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Congrats on the 5th place finish.

Glad your Taurus is running good for you. My 3 run just fine and always have.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I've had 2 Tauri (???). A PT709 Slim for 4 years or so that has been flawless through 2200+ rounds. I like it a ton. Nice little gun. I also had a PT845 that I was less than impressed with. It got traded off for a G36 (which never gets carried or shot).

In the end, if you have a good gun it doesn't matter the brand. Know the weapon and your capabilities with it.

Congrats on a good finish in your match.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Taurus guns are pretty good. I know sometimes they can get spotty with their QC but hey, if it works well for you, that's all that metters. I have a few of em, and I'd swear my life on em if I had to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A Taurus 357 magnum revolver was one of my first handgun purchases almost 25 years ago. It is an excellent gun and extremely accurate, no complaints.

Now because of all the negative hype I have stayed away from their semi-autos but maybe I should give them a second look

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts