Defensive Carry banner

I need a deeper concealment firearm

5K views 65 replies 57 participants last post by  Fritz609 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

I started carrying a few months ago when I bought my CZ PCR. I can shoot it just as good as any full sized gun. Carrying it is no problem but there are some situations where I will not carry because of the size.

For example, when I go out to dinner with the family and I am dressed up, the PCR doesn't work. It's too heavy and big for jeans/dress shirt and I CANNOT be made. Nobody knows that I carry or even own firearms and I would be looked down upon severely for doing so.

I much prefer hammer fired guns to striker fired guns(besides the P320, which I love). I really enjoy being able to thumb the hammer when holstering/unholstering.

My favorite single stack 9mm is the Walther PPS. I love that gun but I am just not comfortable with a striker fired gun without a manual safety. So that leaves me with the M&P Shield or a pocket gun basically. I'd be leaning toward the LCP custom for pocket carry. I do wish the LCP had a manual safety, though.

I have a SP-01 for HD, a PCR for routine carry, and now I want something for deeper concealment. What do you all think? This is for situations where I would go unarmed, so certainly something is better than nothing, but I don't know if I could get away with a Shield in a Stealthgear mini or not. I'm most concerned about giving hugs and being made.

I am still a noob to all of this stuff so your experienced input is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
You really have a lot of options available to you. Top of the list is a S&W J-frame or similar snubby revolver. Among concealed carriers, this is the de facto standard alternate or backup gun when a full-size piece is out of the question. You'll carry this in a pocket holster, and a key element of concealability or camouflage is that the holster breaks up the obvious outline of a revolver and gives the appearance of a wallet in the front pocket.

Beyond that, you're into bona fide mouse guns. When the situation demands the highest level of concealability, I carry a Kel-Tec P-32 in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. You just can't get much more compact that that. It's a last-ditch, bad-breath distance, "eye socket" gun, but it beats a police whistle.

#7 ·
Like most stuff, it depends. Sometimes ya gotta change your dress.
If your going to wear jeans that are form fitting with tucked in shirts..... Pocket carry or ankle
Otherwise, get a good holster and try AIWB or a belly band like 3 Speed.
Hate to break it to ya, but the family is going to find out. Be prepared for when they do.
I am assuming that your not living at home.

#8 ·
If someone is going to look down on your for protecting yourself and family then you should be the one looking down on them. That said I would lean towards a LCP or check out the Gen2 LCP. A J-frame in a lightweight configuration would fit the bill and as previously stated ankle carry might suit you best if you can't conceal on the waistband.

#9 ·
For "deep" concealment, I wear a vest. I have vests of different sizes and styles that are suitable for various social situations. My carry guns are in a OWB belt holster for the world to see but the vest(s) covers whatever I'm carrying. A lady friend once said "my, you look dapper" not knowing I was carrying a 7.3" 9mm with 15 rounds.

#12 ·
First off, I have to ask... who would look down upon you severely for carrying a firearm? And why would you care. This is not meant to be snarky or insulting but it's your life, and that of your family, and that trumps everything. Anything else pales by consideration to that.

The first sidearm that came to my mind which is of high quality and could easily be considered a tier one carry gun is the M&P Shield. I have two; one with an external settable safety and one without. The one that gets carried, when I need that sort of gun is the one with the safety but when it is in its holster and one my person, that safety is off. No way I want any of my carry guns with a safety that is going to be engaged when on my person. The safety is there because my Shield is a gun that sometimes goes from a holster to a pouch to a glove box and back to its holster (think vacation). All of that handling could be dangerous with a pistol in full battery which is ready to fire... hence the safety.

The Shield conceals excellently for times such as you mentioned when carried in the DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster. Sits nicely at the three 'o clock position and is ready in the event you may need it. My preference for the Shield is the 9mm version. I have shot their .40S&W version and was not fond of it. Stoked with quality SD ammunition, it is a fine carry piece.

Reactions: BMAT
#17 ·
BM303 - if you like your current EDC, you may want to look at different holsters. I am a pastor and VERY few people in the church know I carry (only a few fellow gun enthusiasts.) I carried in an Aliengear holster (which I love - but, now, only for casual attire), but thought the clips may give me away. I experimented with a Smart Carry holster and found my answer. I can carry under ANY circumstances and cannot be made. Had to practice some for drawing from concealment, but easy enough to do. I would highly recommend you consider a Smart Carry or similar deep conceal holster (can't vouch for any other deep conceal maker).

#18 ·
For easy concealment and reliability, the LCP is tough to beat. It's basically the equivalent of carrying a second wallet. I own two and have carried them often.
But during the last year or so I have gravitated more toward my S&W Airweight. I shoot it well, it's easy to conceal, and it looks like a gun should look. The only time I go back to the LCP is if my pants pockets are too shallow for the J-frame (which isn't often).

#19 ·
I really like our LC9s Pro. It is also available as an LC9s that has the safety. I'm not sure the safety could be easily operated under duress though. That said, I've often thought I'd like the safety and leave it off while carrying. It would be a good feature for general handling. I've pocket carried it a few times but found it too big for my pockets. That just me though. It is my deep concealed carry when I don't want to be made. I rarely carry it. It is in a MIC trigger guard holster at 3:00 when I do, and it is deep.

I would probably go with an ultra light M&P revolver in 357 for regular pocket carry though. This would also be my preferred carry mode if I cared about people knowing.

The care free life of retirement on acreage in rural WV where open carry is commonplace.

#20 ·
For the most discrete carry I recommend a pistol like the LCP or any of the others in its class. Just go with a reputable manufacturer (skip Taurus and Kel Tec) and you'll be fine. Just choose the pocket pistol that fits your hand best and learn how to shoot it. Pocket guns are by far some of the most difficult guns to shoot.

Reactions: rodspade
#21 ·
For example, when I go out to dinner with the family and I am dressed up, the PCR doesn't work. It's too heavy and big for jeans/dress shirt and I CANNOT be made. Nobody knows that I carry or even own firearms and I would be looked down upon severely for doing so.

I much prefer hammer fired guns to striker fired guns(besides the P320, which I love). I really enjoy being able to thumb the hammer when holstering/unholstering.
Congrats on the CZs, they are awesome. Hammer fired is nice for reasons stated. Go try the P938. It is a very good gun, but I personally did not shoot it well. My wife shoots it like a laser, tho. Go figure. Just gotta try it. Not a fan of 380, but (again, for me) the LCP shot way better than a gun that size has any right to do. If you are concerned about hugs, ankle carry may be the thing. While you are sitting at the table, it is pretty easy to draw. Walking to the car? Not so much. If you think the PCR is too heavy, you probably need a better belt. Maybe a better holster too. It should not be difficult to conceal in jeans and dress shirt (depending on body type). What belt and holster are you using?

#22 ·
I love my North American Arms Black Widow .22 WMR. Very tiny profile that I can carry even in very light fabric dress slacks inside of a Desantis pocket holster (mine also has a pocket for 5 more rounds, but I can't imagine a scenario where it would be useful... If you have time to reload this one... then you had time to run like hell!). The desantis holster places the grip for the NAA perfectly in your pocket so that you hand automatically grabs it as soon as it enters. I can carry in my right pocket for strong hand carry, or if I'm carrying something else, I can throw it in my left pocket and then put my cell phone in front of it.

The Grip on the black widow is amazing. It is long and flat, so it gives you a great grip, but does not print in your pocket. When I get around to it, I want to get a similar grip for my J-Frame and see how it does.

Again... not the most powerful thing in the world, but it makes a ton of noise and sends out a whole bunch of fire when you shoot. I have no doubt it would be helpful in a close up situation. The action on the pistol is also extremely safe. Hammer rests in a notch between chambers on the cylinder. The only way this gun is going off is to pull the hammer all the way back and then pull the trigger. This is the only gun I have that I am completely comfortable throwing a set of keys or a knife in the same pocket as the holstered pistol. That also serves to even further break up any profile.

#23 ·
The Sig P238 has a manual safety. The LCP is a little smaller and lighter. I carry my LCP in a kydex pocket holster, or in an UnderTech "Original Belly Band" for really deep concealment. The LCP is so small that it disappears in the belly band's pouch; the concealment is perfect. (But the draw is slow.)

The Ruger LC9s is available with a manual safety. I don't consider it a pocket gun, but it may be a hair smaller/lighter than the Shield.

#25 ·
This is an easy one. SIG P938. Either pocket holster, IWB or even OWB (which is how I usually carry.)

Reactions: 0119
#26 ·
Hey everyone.
My favorite single stack 9mm is the Walther PPS. I love that gun but I am just not comfortable with a striker fired gun without a manual safety. So that leaves me with the M&P Shield or a pocket gun basically. I'd be leaning toward the LCP custom for pocket carry. I do wish the LCP had a manual safety, though.
So, what's your hangup with the Shield? Seems to meet your requirements AND it's available in 9mm, 40 AND 45 now.

#27 ·
If you're not comfortable wit ha striker fired gun that doesn't have a manual safety, that does limit your options.

You could go with a Ruger LCR or Smith J-frame. Sig 938 is also a good option.An LCP could work for you - but it wouldn't be a the top of my list because I'm not a big fan of the .380.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.