Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AMT .45 BackUp is not a very common gun. Right now I carry @ 3:30 with an Uncle Mikes generic holster, but it moves around just a little from time to time, depending on my activity. What are my options?
For those unfamiliar with the gun here it is, at one time the smallest .45 made.....

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
A friend of mine carries one and he looked everywhere. He was unsuccessful.

I had to make him one out of Kydex.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have one in 9mm. Had the same problem. Found a Milt Sparks for a 3 inch 1911 and the gun fits very well. No movement and good retention.
Are the dimensions of the 9 and 45 close? If so you might try the Milt Sparks iwb.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the leads, made some calls still looking....

Specs:

Weight: 1.56 lbs (0.71 kg)
Caliber: .45 ACP
Barrel: 2.5 inch (6.2 cm)
Action: Double Action Only
Range: 75 ft (22.9 m)
Payload: 5 + 1
Cost: $ 450
Made in: USA
Special: Stainless steel manufacture

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need help here, I got this very nice but depressing email from a holster supplier yesterday:

Hi Dave,

You will not find a holster for it easily, those guns were not made long enough to get holster makers interested in spending R&D on it. Have a great New Year.

Take care

William

High Noon Holsters

I have found one maker that said he could do one, but IWB was going to cost me $159, and I can't forsee being able to spend that much on a holster in the near future....

·
Super Moderator
18,165 Posts
Read up about forming KYDEX, order a sheet or two from Ebay for around 4 bucks a piece and do it yourself.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What kind of holster are you looking for? A buddy of mine makes custom holsters. He usually gets requests for either IWB or pancake models. As long as he has a gun mold he can make a holster for it. If you're interested in him making you one then I'll let him use my AMT .45 as a mold.
I haven't had him make an IWB for me but he's made 2 pancakes and a shoulder rig. His IWB are the usual thin leather with metal clip style. I don't know what he charges now for pancakes but last summer he made a couple for other guys on another list and it was about $35 for basketweave. Colors are black, mahogony, brown, and tan.
Here are the ones he's made for me. The Glock holster is mahogony and the S&W 63 is brown. He uses very heavy leather. The Glock holster has been carried a lot when I was in plain clothes and off duty even tho it doesn't show any wear and is still stiff. The S&W 63 holster has been carried a lot when hunting. He doesn't bone the leather to the gun but with the thumb break the gun isn't going anywhere.
If you're interested drop me a PM and I'll send you his name and telephone.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's easy to make a simple kydex pocket holster. I made one for my LCP. Took a few hours of attempts to get it right.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FHB, found that one, it's ok, THANKS, but was looking for one with double clips/loops and preferably no retension strap, but may have to do that one if I can't find anything else out there...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sir, Give Tim Thurner at TT gunleather a call. He's made me a few custom rigs and can build just about anything including that Hand Cannon .45 AMT.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

BTW how does it function? I owned 2 old SA style BU's in .22 and .380 ond neither would feed a whole mag without jamming. Changed mags, ammo and had the ramps polished with no success.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sir, Give Tim Thurner at TT gunleather a call. He's made me a few custom rigs and can build just about anything including that Hand Cannon .45 AMT.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters

BTW how does it function? I owned 2 old SA style BU's in .22 and .380 ond neither would feed a whole mag without jamming. Changed mags, ammo and had the ramps polished with no success.
I will contact him! Thanks!

I must have gotten one of the good ones, it feeds well with Fed Hydrashok Low Recoil. I tried Corbon Powrball, and it was brutal to say the least! I usually run at least one mag full thru it at a range session, and so far no probs, prob a couple hundred rounds...
I shot it initially about 100rnds with no malfunctions.
I am pleased with it's concealability, just a tad heavy for a tiny gun, but can carry many places!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts