Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for awhile now but haven't really posted much. Anyways, I've been having a debate with someone about concealed carry, mainly focusing on college campus CC but also CC in general. He made the claim that no citizen without a law enforcement background has ever used a concealed gun to stop a shooting spree in progress. I think he was talking about cc in general but it could have also meant on campuses.

I started to come back with the law school shooting in 2002 and the church shooting in colorado as examples but he pointed out that the law school shooting responders were both involved in law enforcement and the church member was a former cop. I know there are many examples out there but I can't think of any off the top of my head that I can find news articles to cite. Can anyone help me out? It would be best if they were mass shootings but anything that I can back up with evidence is good. Thanks for any help you all can lend me. He can't win this one :aargh4:

I assume this is the best forum for this but please move it if I messed up.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

With all respect, your friend is full of :bs2:.
The news is full of crime and self-defense issues in various local towns.
Actually, don't even try to argue with an 'anti', it's a waste of time.
Just worry about your own SD.

ret :31

·
Registered
261 Posts
There was a shooting in a mall a cpl years ago...... the person who shot the BG was carrying..... don't remember him being LEO, but that part never really took hod in the media...... and the VA college shooting had a CC carrier that had to run back out to his vehicle to retrieve his weapon ..... again, never took hold in the media.....

Reguardless...... CC is CC....... former cop or what have you..... next he'll be saying that they were ex-military...... and therefore were trained.......

My recomendation...... let it go and say Ok, your right"
I have a saying..... "never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to thier level and beat you with experiance"
Ok..... not my creation...... more my motto...... :)

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
your friend needs to do more research before opening his mouth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I normally would just let it go but there are others who are undecided on the issue that listen in on our discussions. This is as much about convincing them as anything else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Go to NRA.org and check their archives ... they've got plenty of news/stories on the use of firearms in personal self-defense as well as 3rd party. I'm sure you'll find something to fit the bill.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe the Tacoma Mall shooting was severly impacted if not stopped by a civilain with a CC permit. I believe this hero was wounded if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to Wikipedia the armed citizen was injured.

"During the course of the shooting, Brandon (Dan) McKown [heroic armed citizen], a legally armed citizen, intervened. McKown drew his 9mm CZ pistol, and verbally commanded Maldonado [Dirtbag BG] to put down his gun. Maldonado's response was to fire on McKown, striking him once in the leg and four times in the torso, damaging McKown's spine and leaving him paralyzed.

Very unfortunate. Granted I have never been (and Good Lord Willing never will be) in such a situation but I think it would be best to empty a mag into that guy prior to issuing any warning, most defiantly if shots had already been fired and family were around.

I would recommend looking comparing the amount of violent crime in most of the US compared to the UK or Chicago. Anti's are very hard to deal with, most are stubborn. Just watch your six and remind him that you will try to watch his...maybe.

Just remember, the sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
here is more info for arguing with idiots.
NRA-ILA ::

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome from Illinois! Your definitely on the right forum. There are tons of examples. All the ones i know off the top of my head have been posted. but you'll find what your looking for many knowledgeable people here.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
here is more info for arguing with idiots.
NRA-ILA ::
speaking of arguing with idiots, read chapter 2 (covering 2nd Amend) of Glenn Beck's new book....Arguing with Idiots :smile:
wally world has it in hardback and on cd

·
Banned
160 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
One of the first campus shooting sprees was kept at bay by citizens. The shooter at University of Texas was sniping from the tower on campus and while he was still able to kill several he was not able to use the most advantageous points because of the many Texans who had their rifles with them and began firing back at him. It did take a police officer breaking into the area he was at but still.

·
Registered
829 Posts
by that logic if you took a course or something your would be trained also, since many of us do take a course and qualify at least are we trained? A friend of mine helped me tremendously in my pistol shooting, he trains reservists and brings them up to speed for deployment and competed on the navy marksman team, am i trained?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
:hand10: Dito what "retsupt99" said. It's a no win, can't convince and no logical data will help the anti's see the light, conversation. Basically IMO, you're talking to someone who has no confidence in their own ability to defend themselves and wants to group all none LEO or military civilians into the same field of sheep, and put some blinders on until it's their turn to pay the piper. I'd tell him to do his own research. :yup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check this blog out. It may help...

GUN WATCH
Thanks for that link--lots of good stories there.

IMHO, no sense in arguing. My experience with antis is that they don't even listen to you when you speak, they just wait for your lips to stop moving so they can have their turn.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts