Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife, who is a CCW holder in the State of Nevada didn't like any holsters that she tried. Any of them. I custom wetformed this IWB rig for her, and after rounding some of the sharp edges, she is carrying her G26 all of the time, even when gardening.
I tried the holster out myself and man this thing is perfect. I am going to have to make myself one.

·
Registered
37,060 Posts
I can only wish to have the patience to work with leather. I always pick guns that only the high-dollar holster makers carry.

It's all about function and comfort!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job. You have talent. Be careful. Holster making has been known to be habit forming.
It truly is. I have made a few, my CCW rig included. It all all handwork, and hard on the hands. My Wife's holster 8 hours labor in one sitting. My hands felt arthritic after, and strong as hell a day after. The Wife's rig is a culmination of my prior work and what I had learned. I study her rig to refine my next holster.

This was my first of the IWB type that I made, and has served me for many years.

·
Registered
659 Posts
In post #6, do you have the smooth side in and the rough side out? If so, does the smooth leather grip the gun pretty well to keep it from flying out if you jog or the like?

I like your work. I have a nice chunk of leather here and need to pound out a holster for my wife's carry piece (Sig SP2022). I enjoy making holsters but mine are purely functional and NOT beautiful (yet!). Thanks for the inspiration. Time to go start sniffing leather! :danceban:

Ace

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
My deep admiration for anyone who can tackle this type of work. I'd probably stick the needle
through my thumb.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
As a holster maker myself, try adding a sweat shield on the slide. It does wonders for comfort. Just be sure to keep the mag release open and keep the grip clear. And yeah, addictive is the word. I built about 6 OWB hybrids and wet molded 5 leather holsters today. It's approaching another full time job for me.

In post #6, do you have the smooth side in and the rough side out? If so, does the smooth leather grip the gun pretty well to keep it from flying out if you jog or the like?
Ace
Lined holsters are smooth inside and out and hold just fine. One of my rigs is a lined holster for my G19 and I've not had any issues with it moving in the 10 months I've been wearing it. If you wet form it and sew it right, the retention will keep the gun in place.

My deep admiration for anyone who can tackle this type of work. I'd probably stick the needle
through my thumb.
Harness needles are blunt. But you can still sink one in a thumb pretty good. The stitching awls are what you have to look out for. You can skewer yourself with one of those.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
That was pretty nice.

I have made a couple that work well; but, look horrible.
But, they are for concealment, hey.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I like your work. I have a nice chunk of leather here and need to pound out a holster for my wife's carry piece (Sig SP2022). I enjoy making holsters but mine are purely functional and NOT beautiful (yet!). Thanks for the inspiration. Time to go start sniffing leather! :danceban:

Ace
Yes, you are correct. The rough side of the leather facing outward has several benefits. First is that the rough stuff doesn't get into you gun. Remember, the inside of the holsters are tooled and wetformed to every contour of the gun, and the holster fits the gun like a glove. When the holster is worn, the holster curves around the body, creating tension on the gun by pinching the gun as the holster curves with the body, and the gun can't just fly out.
Next, with the rough side out, it creates more surface area against the inside of the garment keeping the holster even more firmly in position.

I believe that some premiere gunleather holster companies have started to put the rough side out.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
First is that the rough stuff doesn't get into you gun.
Good leather can be slicked up on the inside nearly as smooth as the outside. I pre burnish mine while it's wet before I wet mold it. Then before I do the final finish I smooth the inside up again with Gum Tragacanth. It lays the grain right down. After that dries I apply an acrylic finish over it. That gets it smooth to start with. And use will smooth it up too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The rough side of the leather facing outward has several benefits. First is that the rough stuff doesn't get into you gun. Remember, the inside of the holsters are tooled and wetformed to every contour of the gun, and the holster fits the gun like a glove. When the holster is worn, the holster curves around the body, creating tension on the gun by pinching the gun as the holster curves with the body, and the gun can't just fly out.
Next, with the rough side out, it creates more surface area against the inside of the garment keeping the holster even more firmly in position.

I believe that some premiere gunleather holster companies have started to put the rough side out.
Awesome!! Thanks for the reply!! Time to start laying out some hide...:image035:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Nice work! Congrats on a job well done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good leather can be slicked up on the inside nearly as smooth as the outside. I pre burnish mine while it's wet before I wet mold it. Then before I do the final finish I smooth the inside up again with Gum Tragacanth. It lays the grain right down. After that dries I apply an acrylic finish over it. That gets it smooth to start with. And use will smooth it up too.
I will have to look into this technique. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts