Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting my CT pistol permit and I have to fill out paperwork for my local police department on top of the state paperwork. To say the least, the paperwork for my local police department is quite intrusive. One of the questions is "have you ever consulted or been treated by a professional psychiatrist or psychologist for mental or emotional problems"? This poses a problem because I saw a psychologist for a period of about a year which ended six months ago. It was voluntary, was never diagnosed with anything and I was never placed on medication. I was also never committed to an institution. I am wondering if answering yes to this question would cause my application to be denied, and if so what the next step would be from there? Also, I am aware that contacting an attorney would be the best course of action, but unfortunately that costs money that I do not have at the moment, so it's just not an option for me (sorry to those who already said I should consult an attorney).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You definitely need to consult an attorney, rather than relying on what we can tell you.

I would imagine, though, that how you answer depends on your interpretation of mental or emotional "PROBLEMS". Were you seeing the psychologist for "problems"? It seems to me that this leaves only one honest answer to the question if you were, assuming that's a direct quote from the form, of course.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Consult a good attorney who's familiar with Connecticut gun laws, is what I would recommend. Too many twists and anti-gun folks there to give you a good rationale answer. I could only tell you that here it wouldn't, as long as it didn't have anything to do with drug addiction, etc. and the qualifers you had listed..... not ordered, not unvoluntary, etc. I have not been there and no desire to , with some of the crazy bills, bans and anti-gun things they have done, I get the feeling you own a gun they think you are crazy and should be disqualified. So, they may look at anything they can as an excuse not to approve it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm looking into getting my CT pistol permit and I have to fill out paperwork for my local police department on top of the state paperwork. To say the least, the paperwork for my local police department is quite intrusive. One of the questions is "have you ever consulted or been treated by a professional psychiatrist or psychologist for mental or emotional problems"? This poses a problem because I saw a psychologist for a period of about a year which ended six months ago. It was voluntary, was never diagnosed with anything and I was never placed on medication. I was also never committed to an institution. I am wondering if answering yes to this question would cause my application to be denied, and if so what the next step would be from there? Also, I am aware that contacting an attorney would be the best course of action, but unfortunately that costs money that I do not have at the moment, so it's just not an option for me (sorry to those who already said I should consult an attorney).
I would think from the wording that if they didn't find anything wrong then would that be considered "consulted" or "treated"? Some people go "talk" to some when they have a death of a close loved one and some even with a pet! You could talk with one about not being able to find a good car mechanic and that frustrated you, hence you are P.O.ed, but still not needing treatment for deep consultation about it.

I agree with talking with an attorney to be on the safe side however I think there may be some wiggle room (as long as it's legal) with the working if you were never diagnosed. Wish you the best! :smile:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think from the wording that if they didn't find anything wrong then would that be considered "consulted" or "treated"? Some people go "talk" to some when they have a death of a close loved one and some even with a pet! You could talk with one about not being able to find a good car mechanic and that frustrated you, hence you are P.O.ed, but still not needing treatment for deep consultation about it.

I agree with talking with an attorney to be on the safe side however I think there may be some wiggle room (as long as it's legal) with the working if you were never diagnosed. Wish you the best! :smile:
Thank you for the advice. It was, in fact for the death of my grandmother. We were close and she died very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
You definitely need to consult an attorney, rather than relying on what we can tell you.

I would imagine, though, that how you answer depends on your interpretation of mental or emotional "PROBLEMS". Were you seeing the psychologist for "problems"? It seems to me that this leaves only one honest answer to the question if you were, assuming that's a direct quote from the form, of course.
Contact Atty Ralph Sherman - office is in New Britain. He specializes in permit cases and can likely advise you for low or no cost.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts

Contact Atty Ralph Sherman - office is in New Britain. He specializes in permit cases and can likely advise you for low or no cost. If you wait too long, you'll end up paying $300 for the permit if dipwad Malloy gets his way. Then you'll wish you had spent a few bucks on an attorney.

·
Banned
35 Posts
For those not in CT, the state application, which is turned in to the local PD, asks:

"Have you been confined in a hospital for mental illness in the past sixty (60) months by order of a Probate Court?

Have you been discharged from custody within the past twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime
by reason of a mental disease or defect?

Have you been voluntarily admitted to a hospital for mental illness within the past six (6) months for reasons other
than solely for alcohol or drug dependence? "

A local PD asking more than that is going beyond state law, similar to ones that ask for letters of reference, home visits, or interviewing neighbors. You may want to contact the CT Citizens Defense League at Welcome to the CCDL. They may be able to provide some guidance.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Voluntary. Never diagnosed. Protected by doctor-client privilege.

Disclosure at your discretion. No need to answer. Otherwise, attorney client-privilege. Up to you both whether to disclose.

Suggestion- don't borrow trouble unnecessarily.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Thank you for the advice. It was, in fact for the death of my grandmother. We were close and she died very quickly.
Very sorry for your loss.

If they would deny a permit for something like that, you should shake the dust from your shoes on the way out of town. The wording seems designed to discourage application. Being "treated for a mental problem" is a very different thing from "consulting for an emotional problem." I can't imagine any legitimate reason to ask that question - if a "yes" means they deny, they would deny anyone who's ever had grief counseling, which is ridiculous. And if it doesn't mean they deny, why bother asking?

I think Kennfd has a very good suggestion. Don't submit anything until you talk to someone who's on your side and knows the game.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have spoken with a psychologist. He asked me the exACT pin distance on a...long par three. :image035:

(Good Luck on receiving permission to defend yourself!) :yup:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A few years ago, I was attacked by a dog and got chewed up pretty good. I was advised to see a lawyer to make sure the people who owned the dog did what they said they would do and pay for my medical costs. I wasn't looking to make any money off of the attack. My lawyer saw that I was reluctant to take my dogs to the beach where I was attacked. He said it was a form of PTSD. He suggested that I see a shrink. He said that it would be a good thing to have a professional's opinion as a matter of record. Around that time, we were discussing on this forum the perils of having a record of psychological care and what it would mean with gun ownership. I mentioned that I was a gun owner to my attorney and he advised me that such a visit might be used against me regarding my gun ownership some day. I decided to not go to the shrink. He did tell me that there was a huge difference between voluntarily going to a psychiatrist and being ordered to see one, but, at the time with the anti-gun hysteria, one never knew what shenanigans the government would do.

Bottom line, a good attorney can set your mind at ease...or not. My lawyer is a resident in my town and a fellow gun owner so I was comfortable with his advice.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Good advice here. It seems to me there is not a way to answer the current form, which may not be a legal requirement if CT has preemption, and though IANAL, you can't answer untruthfully.

The only resolution, I think, would be to have that requirement changed to be in line with CT's state requirement, and then you could answer truthfully.

I would worry if you tried to take it upon yourself to assume it was not legal for them to ask, after all you are probably signing an affidavit and lying would give them reason to deny if discovered, 'doctor patient' privilege notwithstanding.

In truth the recourse might be to move to a different location.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I would not consider this a mental health problem , you had a issue , this issue was perceived by you , not the authority's your psychiatrist did not mandate any medical treatment (hospital, medication etc.) , doctor, patient confidentiality , If you check the box "YES " regarding mental illness issues, you will be called in for a interview with the judge , be prepared to answer questions. The judge will then make he determination to issue the permit or to denie your application.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good advice here. It seems to me there is not a way to answer the current form, which may not be a legal requirement if CT has preemption, and though IANAL, you can't answer untruthfully.
Unfortunately, there is no preemption in CT. This circumstance certainly demonstrates the need for it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: 3/29/17

I have spoken to CCDL (CT Citizen's Defense League) and Attorney Ralph Sherman (thank you gasmitty) regarding this issue. Both parties said the town is going beyond state law and that the matter is really none of their business but my best chance to get the permit is to answer the question (apparently not answering is an option, since it is a local form and not a state one). I was also informed that since the courts have remained silent on the issue, the town is allowed to demand anything they want as far as documentation and psychological evaluations go. However, CT law says that the town has 8 weeks to process an application and if they do not come to a decision in that time frame, I am able to appeal.

The saga continues...

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
mental or emotional problems ;

doesn't mention voluntary / involuntary ... and about anything in the world could fall in those categories.... depends upon the "legal definitions" in the laws.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.