101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger LCP .380
Fiocchi 95gr FMJ
Hornady 90gr Z-Max
21ft.
5/8" and 3/4" particle board

uploadfromtaptalk1369781466014.jpg

2 boards: First I stood up the long white board and clamped the small brown one to it as pictured. I propped them up with a stick as close to vertical as possible.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781481297.jpg

Both bullets fully penetrated and blew the back out of the second board as pictured.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781534627.jpg

3 boards: Neither bullet penetrated three layers of the particle board. Both bullets got hung up in the middle board, with the FMJ penetrating a touch farther as expected.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781865861.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369781888882.jpg

The FMJ did not experience any expansion, and the V-Max expanded but did not open much and retained all of its mass.

uploadfromtaptalk1369781969619.jpg

I'll say it before anyone else does, bad guys are not made of particle board. I was impressed with the way they blew through two boards. The third board provided enough resistance to contain them. It was fun experimenting.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Yup, most .380 ACP rounds penetrate around 9 to 11 inches on average, which IMO is enough to stop the average yahoo. What's bad about carrying a .380 for the bad guy as far as Im concerned is; due to its marginal power status, he's gonna get hit with several rounds to get my point across. :wink:

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
Thats why most people with knowledge of such things pass up the designer and HP ammo when carrying weaker powered calibers and load them with FMJ to start with.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Interesting. Would have been more interesting to compare those "kurz" rounds to a 9mm. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Agreed. Small fmj and head shots. If your going to carry a small caliber weapon practice head shots. IMHO 7 to 10 ft

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The FMJ almost got into the 3rd layer. It bulged the back side of the 2nd layer quite a bit.

uploadfromtaptalk1369785253590.jpg

The HP did not visibly bulge the 2nd piece.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
IMO.............the .380 Cal. is an up close and personal way of saying, your threatening my life. Even at the 21'-0 distance used on the targets, that's pushing it...IMO.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
when carrying a 380 acp, 32 acp, and or 25 acp the fmj bullet is best. many mango seasons ago i did a test with a kel tec p3at and several ten inches of wet and bound phone books. the fmj went all the way through from five feet out. the hp ammo did not go far into the phone books and did not expand. went in about four inches from 5 feet out. i used several of the name brand hp ammo (hydro shock, gold dot). the ball ammo was several different brands. all brand of the fmj did the job. in other words that is way i carry fmj ball ammo in my 380.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when carrying a 380 acp, 32 acp, and or 25 acp the fmj bullet is best. many mango seasons ago i did a test with a kel tec p3at and several ten inches of wet and bound phone books. the fmj went all the way through from five feet out. the hp ammo did not go far into the phone books and did not expand. went in about four inches from 5 feet out. i used several of the name brand hp ammo (hydro shock, gold dot). the ball ammo was several different brands. all brand of the fmj did the job. in other words that is way i carry fmj ball ammo in my 380.
Cool. The fmj is half the price too.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
First off, thanks for doing the test and sharing with us.

Ehh I'm really on the fence about .380, I'm struggling with the idea of getting a pocket pistol (LCP, TCP) chambered in it but still not sure. The super light weight and small size is appealing to say the least (12oz for a loaded 7rd gun the size of a cell phone) but if I am only going to have one gun on me I need to be able to tryst it's ability to stop a threat (a real, plausible one not the zombie crap). I still don't know...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I shot some pumpkins with my LCP and was rather impressed by the exit hole (about the size of a 1/2 dollar..using Hornady critical defense .95g JHP..I have no qualms about the effectiveness of the weapon at less than 20 yards....but it is only a backup to my 26...If I ever had to use the LCP probably would empty the mag just to be sure.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts

Ehh I'm really on the fence about .380, I'm struggling with the idea of getting a pocket pistol (LCP, TCP) chambered in it but still not sure. The super light weight and small size is appealing to say the least (12oz for a loaded 7rd gun the size of a cell phone) but if I am only going to have one gun on me I need to be able to tryst it's ability to stop a threat (a real, plausible one not the zombie crap). I still don't know...
Agreed, thanks for posting the results.

And agreed, .380's not the best thing in the world, but it's roughly equivalent in muzzle energy to .38 Special from a snubby, and the one-shot stop numbers are in the same ballpark. I KNOW, I KNOW, lots of people hate one-shot stop percentages, but the point is, .380's stop people and don't do a measurably worse job at it than .38's.

Reactions: fredg53

·
Banned
2,647 Posts

I have a LCP that has been flawless at the range and would recommend it over the TCP 380. My daughter wanted a raspberry colored gun and the only one available at the time was the TCP 380. Long story short it was Jam-O-Matic out of the box and was returned to Taurus for repair and on return it was still a Jam-O-Matic and was sold. She is now the proud owner of very reliable LCP with a pink CT Laserguard laser.

Reactions: fredg53
1 - 20 of 29 Posts