Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tell you how much my life has changed in the past almost 3 months now, but they say that which does not kill us makes us stronger. When someone close to you leaves you quite unexpectedly, a lot of things come up that you honestly just never had to worry about before.

I am spending a lot more time watching over immediate relations who are almost universally:

- single and often alone
- female
- physically handicapped to some degree
- sometimes oblivious

I tell you, this makes it a lot harder. This policing other people stuff makes you question everything you do.

I've stopped carrying anything less than a full sized gun in their company. I've changed my carry method to slightly faster OWB holsters much of the time. I carry extra reloads. I've stopped caring if I print just a little bit. I'm a more attentive, meaner bastard to panhandlers and street people who come near my charges.

I didn't even realize it until yesterday, when it occured to me how much weight I was carrying in my pockets, and then I realized I've gradually been stepping it up for weeks now.

I think my whole mindset is evolving. What wasn't a consideration before suddenly is now.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Stronger Euc - probably - resolute certainly. You are experiencing a sheepdog ''upgrade''!

I doubt you are looking for trouble any more than you ever did but sure as heck - you are not gonna take any crap either - that is how I'd see it. Let us call it a mindset modification too.

Don't let the responsibility sit too heavy on your shoulders but certainly, watch your six and that of others when you can. Try too to educate them more toward their awareness - mostly thru analogy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I can sorta relate.

Im geting very seriouse with my GF of a year. She is nieve, and doesnt have an agressive bone in her body. On top of that she lives in Jacksonville. In an area where I would hardly call a safe place. Its goten to the point to where Im making plans to move there. Im even thinking about a change in my line of work.

Ive been raised to fend, and take care of myself. This is a new situation for me. Its more scary (thats kinda a new feeling too). But it does put everything into prespective for me.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I could sure add something. But I won't all I will say is becareful because things can and will get out of hand quickly.
I can remember paying Lawyers and the Exs say around $15K total.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I well remember going through much the same thing. Remember to take the occasional "breather" (like that XD45 day!), it's tough to slow things down at times but if you end up burning out you won't be able to help anyone.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I can also relate. For the past 25 years I have been away from my birth family. Its been good medicine for me and them(now just her). I have never really worried about her safety because it was a matter of me just not being there, I was on the other coast. Of course I still cared about her well being, but I just wasn't around.
Now, I see all the potential threats and assaults that could happen. I am actually surprised after all these years, she hasn't been robbed at home or in town (thank you God...).
A crippled sweet old lady who can barely walk with a cane, can hardly drive, and can't open a jar of pickles. Anyone who sees her can smell easy target.
that has changed big time ... :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Euclidean,

In my estimation, you are just getting saner and saner all the time! :image035:

But, what would you expect from someone with a handle like mine? :gah:

mm

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
All things have thier season , and as we mature in life our outlook changes. As we loose our male role models we tend to become more protective of all they left behind , and we hold dear ( including ourselves ) imho its only natural for anyone who accepts the responsibility of self defense to become more viligent as experiance piles up , at least thats how it works in my case lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
And now you understand why I own a pile of pretty much service-size handguns. If I'm going to need to use them, I want hell on tap.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Euc,
Yep I hear you. My GF is always in condition White. GRRR. This tends to make me much more alert. I have my fullsized M9 which I only carry at night. Most of the time during the day I still carry my G26 with a spare mag, plus 3 folders.
She likes to watch me jump, she'll be in the kitchen and make some loud noise and watch me come running. she thinks it's funny. :aargh4:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm right there with ya friend. My older brother died at my feet 11 years ago this summer so I became the older brother from that day forward. Now I have a son, who is soon to have a brother, and I'm now a Dad. My younger brother is leaving to work in Washington very shortly, so now I'm taking care of my family at home and my parents. It's a lot of change, a lot of responsibility, and it's going to take a monumental effort.

Chin up, eyes forward and behind, vigilent and ready.

"A new position of responsibility will usually show a man to be a far stronger creature than was supposed." ~William James

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
One less thing for me to worry about, now that I know you'll have a little hell on tap and you and yours will be safer. No one will notice a little printing. Even if it looks like calligraphy, I like a full size grip. Blessings are your tools and training, and this mission is but another stair.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
*-J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
Me too, Euc, what you said that is, and I haven't lost anyone suddenly, but when we read about a postal worker killing 7 co-workers, then I see two families wiped out by simple random selection of two killers....

I have said for years, "If you have to defend your life with a handgun, how comfortable it is to carry, how easy it is to conceal, really won't make any difference at that point."

I love all kinds of guns, makes and sizes. I especially like the H&K P2000 LEM and a Sig 229R DAK, but I carry a full size USP or Sig 226R in an OWB holster, because it seems more reliable and a bit faster for me to draw from.

I consider, if I had to be in a gunfight with a handgun which one would I want it to be? Well that's the one I ought to carry.

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
Euc,

I'm curious, does this paradigm shift change how you feel about carrying revolvers as a SD gun?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts