Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't been to the range in awhile and went back for the first time two weeks ago. I quit going when I was diagnosed with cornea damage and my vision got pretty distorted. I also lost my job about that time and couldn't afford ammo or range fees. I had cornea surgery and they managed to stop the deterioration, but can't fix the existing damage so my vision is still somewhat distorted. Anyway, I did much worse than I expected. I took my Glock 27, and new Glock 42 and Shield and fired about 100 rounds through each one. At 25 yards I was lucky to hit the silhouette.

I went back yesterday and decided to just concentrate on one pistol until I could get back on target. I just took my EDC, the Glock 27 and spent a lot of time working on fundamentals. As soon as i did that I realized what my problem is. I started wearing bifocals and can't see the front sight. At 25 yards I'm shooting an area about the size of a basketball. I use to make a ragged fist-sized hole at that range with 200 rounds. I need to look at a different pair of glasses that will allow me to see front sight. I also need to spend more time at the range.

OBTW - I bought a 500 rounds of 40 S&W reloads from a company called "Georgia Arms". They work great in the Glock 27. 200 rounds fired yesterday and only one misfire and that looked like a light primer strike.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Rhinoman, you may already know this but larger lenses give better results with bifocals. I recently updated my prescription and went with a little larger frames and it has helped a lot with my progressive lenses. The sights are popp'n like cherries now, even with my gen 2 LCP. I'm getting good results with my multifocal RGP contact lenses too.

I wish you the best in your vision quest

Sent via my subspace communicator

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I got a pair of shooting glasses last year that are clear on one side and the lens for my dominant/shooting eye is set to focus at arm's length. When I am really trying to focus for accuracy I wear them. If the target is too far away though, they hinder being able to see the target. Strictly for (normal) pistol distances shooting.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Forget all that vision stuff.....just get five 100 round mags and tell your neighbors to hit the basement if they hear your burglar alarm go off........:wave:

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
At the risk of starting an old debate yet one more time, try focusing on the target instead of the front sight, just to see what happens...

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
My prescription shooting glasses are the trifocal prescription only. They also have polycarbonate safety glass side pieces. ($6 on Amazon) All of my glasses are polycarbonate lenses and have been for years and years.

I can't see much of the target at 20 yards plus, but I can see the fuzzy outline of it and as long as I remember to keep my focus on the front sight I do OK. I'm not going to be doing self defense shooting at 25 yards anyway. I'm going to be hightailing it OUT OF THERE.

My regular glasses have a much larger trifocal area which is set higher than standard. So, yes, I can shoot with my regular glasses, using that middle zone which is large enough for me and high enough that it is what I look through naturally. It is also "computer distance". I tried progressive lenses once. I couldn't see anything at all at any distance!

I just noticed that Mike 1956 suggested you try focusing on the target instead of the front sight. If I do that it is a guarantee of "basketball size" groups instead of the normal small groups I shoot. What works for one can be disaster for another. That's why we try different things, right?

The key is to have your optician make what works for you - not what they usually do.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
At the risk of starting an old debate yet one more time, try focusing on the target instead of the front sight, just to see what happens...
You mean like the head not the tail, the chest not the rack?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I'm back to the stereo vision I had 30 years ago thanks to an optometrist that was willing to work with me.

At the risk of sounding bodacious, I'll say that it's possible to do both in good light.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts

Reactions: Doogie

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Rhinoman says he can't focus on the front sight. I offer up another possibility.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
G17 XS Big Dot(a).jpg
I really like the XS Big Dot Sights for my 66 year old eyes. I have them on two of my firearms including my current EDC.
However I am also considering the Meprolight FT Bullseye sights .

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts