Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get rid of my Springfield XDS in .45.

Not because I don't like it. I love this gun. It's excellent. It shoots great. I haven't had any issues with it.

But I'm going to trade it in.

For a 9mm.

I don't have a 9mm and I've always been hardcore for the .45 - and I still am.

But I think it's time to go with the 9mm for reasons of capacity.

And I'm not just going with a 9mm.

I'm trading for a Glock.

Yup, trading my Springfield XDS in .45 for a Glock 19.

But come on, 5+1, or 15+1?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Good choice. The Glock will serve you well. I have had both and the Glock is the better choice IMO.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
If I had multiple G19's, we'd be doing business, but I'm not giving up my baby. It is perfection. :hand5:
I think the 23 is perfection. Only because I can make it a 32 with a new barrel and sling 125gr lead at 1500fps!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had multiple G19's, we'd be doing business, but I'm not giving up my baby. It is perfection. :hand5:
Don't worry! Your Glock is safe!

My boss (I work at a range as a RSO) is a range manager and gunsmith - a very reputable gunsmith in this area. He has two 19s - a Gen3 and a Gen4. They're both in pristine condition, as any gun a gunsmith owns would be. The only thing he said that he's done to them is they both have 3.5lb triggers, and one has aftermarket sights.

So tomorrow we'll show each other what we have, and make a decision from there. It'll be either straight across or a little bit of cash exchanged on either side.

Opinions about the Gen 3 and 4, anybody?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts

My boss (I work at a range as a RSO) is a range manager and gunsmith - a very reputable gunsmith in this area. He has two 19s - a Gen3 and a Gen4. They're both in pristine condition, as any gun a gunsmith owns would be. The only thing he said that he's done to them is they both have 3.5lb triggers, and one has aftermarket sights.

So tomorrow we'll show each other what we have, and make a decision from there. It'll be either straight across or a little bit of cash exchanged on either side.

I suspect that you'll be fine with either, but I prefer the Gen3 because it already meets my requirements. I even like the stock trigger (after about 1,000 rnds), but really do prefer tritium sights.

The ol' Gen3 G19 was just with me just today on a moto-cross trip thru southern swamp-hell in the pouring rain. There wasn't a part of the bike/gun/me that wasn't coated in mud and sand. A quick-strip/clean once I got home and it's good as new. Many years of hard use and not a spec of rust anywhere.

·
Premium Member
5,008 Posts
Remember, you can't go wrong with a Glock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just traded my Emp .40 for an m&p .40 + some extras, for the same reason. I kept .40 but went from 8+1 to 15+1 and could not be happier. I really think quantity is more important and caliber when it comes to handguns. 1 shot 1 kill works for snipers, but in a defensive situation with a handgun it's not enought to shoot them until you think they are dead, you have to shoot them until they think they are dead.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Gen 3. Gen 4 G 19s have had some issues.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I bought a Springfield XDm-9 4.5 which has 19+1 9mm. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a Springfield XDm-9 3.8 Compact. But, I bought it for Home Defense not really for CC, so it's fine...just difficult to ever carry concealed.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I think that is a sensible move, I can't figure out why the XDs 9mm is only 7+1 and most of all why it is so darn heavy. I like the basic design, but for 24oz (3oz more than a G26) I want WAY more than 8 rounds. Plus, I think the XD line in general are overpriced by about $150.

·
Registered
10,298 Posts

If this is for defense, you might want to ask if he can change it back to a stock pull. That's a competition trigger, IMHO inappropriate for any use besides the range, especially considering the Glock design.

As for the gun itself, seems like a reasonable trade. I see no compelling reason to prefer a Glock to an xd, but you're going from a subcompact to a compact, which makes great sense if the concealment still works for you.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I think you are making a rational choice. I have read a few reports recently that have shown that in wounds made by handgun rounds with modern JHP ammo, there is virtually no difference between 9mm, .40 and .45. In that case, why not carry the gun that affords you the most in capacity, least recoil and quicker follow up shots and the least expensive ammo to boot?

I think the 23 is perfection. Only because I can make it a 32 with a new barrel and sling 125gr lead at 1500fps!
You know you can make a 23 a 9mm with a barrel swap and different mags right? I have a 23. I like it too.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Care to expound?

What issues have they had?
Probably speaking to the recoil spring issue they had early on.. The issue has been addressed and the Gen 4s are as reliable as the 3s and even have better recoil management. I have 1000 rounds through mine and not one single problem. If you do the deal, I seriously doubt you will regret it. I got the 19 first then my 26. I wish I would have done it in reverse cause the G26 Gen 4 is just as nice as the 19.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts