Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed lately that my G21C has a problem. When the slide is open and locked, and I slide a magazine in and tap it in, the slide sometimes lets go (closes) without releasing the slide lock. I think it is rounded off. I used to let my mom shoot it and she would release the slide by pushing the slide lock down instead of pulling back on it. She since has bought her own Glock (G19). So can a gunsmith fix this? Help the newbie. Thanks!

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Glock Pistol Information

That is actually a fairly common problem with GLOCK pistols.
It's an inexpensive repair & any GLOCK armorer can fix it in a jiffy.

NOTE: Some GLOCK shooters actually consider that happening to be a plus rather than a minus but, unless it happens EVERY TIME you slam the magazine home you should not depend on it happening as part of your defensive shooting technique.

The problem is actually due to an underpowered slide release spring. The only "fix" is to replace that spring.

Slamming the magazine "home" jars the weak slide release & then the slide will naturally just drop.

It is not a critical mechanical malfunction that needs to be taken care of pronto.
You should have the problem rectified eventually since you really don't want to DEPEND on it happening in a SHTF defensive scenario.

I hope this information helps you out. Stay Safe!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
As QK says - common and often a liked ''feature''!! My wife's Bersa Thunder will do same and while a slam cannot guarantee to send a round into battery every time - it's rare it won't!

I actually find that a useful ''fault" on a semi - Glocks seem to be best example of it as far as I can tell.

·
Banned
270 Posts
QKshooter is the first I've seen actually nail the problem on a forum. Usually it is a chance for the "overhand release" guys to proclaim that it's not a 1911 and was not made to release the slide.

Bull... The slide lock is case hardened and takes a lot more damage by locking the slide than slipping it off the slide. If there was going to me metal flow it would be from that, not gently slipping it down with the thumb.

Another myth debunked.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Mine will do it sometimes as will my Hk and no the Hk wasnt designed that way even though some claim it i just slingshoot ever one of mine so slide release is no big deal to me

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a problem unless it doesn't chamber a round when it happens. If you are in a slide-lock reload during a gunfight and you slam a new mag home then the slide releases, hell I'm back in the fight with one less step to accomplish.
No problemo.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I was thinking Bob - when that happens it seems to me to provide about the ultimate sling-shot and so full battery by default!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts