Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Is this too much gun?

I have a Marlin in .444. Do you think it is too much for home defense? It shoots a 240 grain bullet.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
The threat of it going through walls might be high. If that's all you got, it will have to do.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
i'm going to guess that slug will probably hold together well and maintain velocity through several layers of construction. as rowdy roddy piper said, "this thing shoots through schools."

one reason people like the AR is that the 5.56 brings rifle energy, but dumps it quickly, fragmenting and tumbling through drywall.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
"To put the power comparison in another way, the typical .444 Marlin rifle, has more impact energy at 200 yards (180 m), than a 4 in (100 mm) barreled .44 Magnum has at the muzzle." - Wikipedia article about the .444 Marlin

:image035::wave:

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Is a 6 pound sledgehammer overkill for killing a house fly? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Is that what you view as an ideal weapon for engaging a moving target in a close quarters situation? If there is a break in, do you have kids that you will need to move through the house to get to?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
when shopping for a Marlin .444 for deer hunting.....the salesman said...." with the .444 it doesn't matter if your deer walks behind an oak tree" :blink:

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
You know those Toyota Pickups that ISIS likes. Bet that fiream can stop two with one shot !:smile:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I had a .444 Marlin in the 70s. The Marlin catalogue had a pic of a 3/8 inch thick piece of cold-rolled steel the 240 gr SJHP penetrated, leaving a clean round hole.
It was a great deer gun in the brush and has been a favorite for boar hunters. It would work well for home defense if you must use a long gun.
It is difficult to answer a knock at the door, discretely, at zero dark thirty with a long gun, though.
Long guns also present an inherent retention problem in such close quarters.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
Is a 6 pound sledgehammer overkill for killing a house fly?
Psssst!! No!

If it were a mosquito I'd agree.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
They use mosquitoes on extra large hooks for Muskie bait in Minnesota, or so I've heard.

I've also heard that Somali gangs in the Twin Cities refer to the Marlin .444 as the "fo foty fo" but claim to have never heard tail of Paul Bunyan or Babe the blue ox or how to keep their skates sharp. What's up with that?

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Registered
326 Posts
They use mosquitoes on extra large hooks for Muskie bait in Minnesota, or so I've heard.

I've also heard that Somali gangs in the Twin Cities refer to the Marlin .444 as the "fo foty fo" but claim to have never heard tail of Paul Bunyan or Babe the blue ox or how to keep their skates sharp. What's up with that?
Baby Minnesota mosquitoes are used for muskie bait . A fo foty fo is what you use to keep the adults from carrying off your children and livestock .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts