Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, having gone through the past election cycles and associated shortages, I made a vow not to get caught short again. I've ensured that my stock-age of powder, primers and bullets exceed my annual consumption and even set new minimums for keeping OH. I've got enough CCI Mini-Mag HPs on hand to eradicate the squirrel population in NE KS, probably a couple times over.

All is well in that regard.

What I didn't foresee, and should have, is the shortage of AR15 parts, just when I want to put together an SPR build. The barrel, an 18" White Oak Armament Fluted SPR, was on back-order, which was to be expected, but it arrived last week along with a matched bolt. The upper and lower receivers (Aero Prec M4E1s) are both on back-order with unknown arrival estimations. The FF handguard, and AGB (SLR Rifleworks), are also on back-order. IAW Optics Planet I should have AR15 parts arriving sometime between 15 AUG and ..........TBD, as at least 1/2 of each of my last 2 orders are awaiting items.

Normally when I build a gun I sit and wait for the big sales; Memorial Day, 4th of JUL, Labor Day, Veterans Day and finally Black Friday. Now I'm just ordering it when I can find it. At best I might get this gun done in time for coyote season at his rate.

Anybody else having their best laid plans go astray?

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Yep same anything AR15 esp basic build stuff is very back ordered I am noticing the high end upper and parts not a much but anything basic is going fast ..Upper and lowers esp as everone want a AR right now

556 you cant find at all unless you want to pay .60 a round or more

I am needing a 20inch upper but that wont happen for a while

Reactions: Chuck R. and Pete63

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
Yes, I missed this in February because the notification email went to junk box. I'd been waiting almost two months! Missed it by a DAY, and GONE! Re-ordered then, AND STILL waiting! :mad: Waited close to 4 months for my ALG trigger's. I DID get them! :D I think parts are destined to be in short supply for a long while! :unsure:

·
Registered
8,638 Posts
No builds in the works, but I didn't quite anticipate how much ammo I wanted to have on hand. I have 8 pounds of powder, tons of brass, and probably 4000 primers. I am short on 9mm bullets, although I have about 1000 rounds of 9mm factory range ammo, about 1500 rounds of JHPs, about 1200 rounds of reloads, and about 2000 bullets. Wish I had more bullets. They have been impossible to find.

Like you, Chuck R., I also have enough 22LR on hand to take out the squirrel (or prairie dog) population of Southern Utah. Also plenty of .45 ACP, about 1000 rounds of .308, about 1000 rounds of 5.56, and several hundred rounds 7mm-08 hand loads. I am pretty good shape on .308 bullets, brass out the wazoo, and adequate (but not generous) large rifle primers. Shotgun is a bit lean on 00 buck, but lots of bird shot and turkey loads.

I think things might have gotten back to "normal" (whatever that is) if we had only to deal with Covid, but with the peaceful protesters in so many cities, all bets are off and it's impossible for me to see where this is going to end up.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
....556 you cant find at all unless you want to pay .60 a round or more....
It is crazy. Back at the beginning of July, Academy Sports had a 3 box limit of 20 rounds of Hornady 5.56 available for pickup at the store only, for .35 per round. So I bought 60 rounds. That's not much, but 60 rounds is 60 rounds. I've been checking almost daily since then because the price was decent, and they have been out of stock. Suddenly, this past Sunday, they showed they had them in stock again (.41 this time). I quickly placed another order for 60 rounds, and got a confirmation email on my order. But about 30 minutes later, I got another email saying that my order had been canceled because they are out of stock.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
All parts are getting scarce. I decided to stock up on a few Glock and Walther parts in case those became scarce too and sure enough I ordered a standard range bag selection of breakables 2 months ago and 3 parts are still on back order. It took forever just for a couple of striker springs.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been reading up and educating myself in preparation for what I thought was going to be my first AR built from the ground up only to find that it's not going to happen for who knows how long due to unavailability of parts.

It's a crazy world we're living in. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd have the money to buy something, and not just gun related, but other things as well, and be unable to buy what I want simply because it's unavailable everywhere. Supply chains are totally out of whack.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been reading up and educating myself in preparation for what I thought was going to be my first AR built from the ground up only to find that it's not going to happen for who knows how long due to unavailability of parts.

It's a crazy world we're living in. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd have the money to buy something, and not just gun related, but other things as well, and be unable to buy what I want simply because it's unavailable everywhere. Supply chains are totally out of whack.
Normally my favorite part of building an AR15 is the research phase, figuring out what the task/purpose is, then trying to get there the best I can within budget (resource informed as we call it at work). Now it's adding an additional challenge of locating and or substituting the parts. A lot of the normal suppliers have stopped taking calls, so there's an additional lag.

It sucks, but it could be much, much worse I suppose. I've got other projects and maybe the extra time will allow for some upgrades in parts.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well some stuff is coming in:

White Oak Armament 18" Fluted SPR barrel, 1:8, Wylde Chamber, Rifle gas length and Vortexx PST G1 4-16x50 in a ADM Recon mount, WOA Nitrided BCG:

Arrived this week:

SLR 13.7 Helix FF, SLR Sentry 7 Titanium AGB, Radian Raptor CH, Magpul Bipod, Magpul rail covers, MI 5 slot rail (for bipod), Seekins Ambi safety, Griffin Armament M4SD Flash-Comp, Magpul MIAD Gen 1 grip, BA coated gas tube:

AERO M4E1 upper and lower receivers are on BO as well as a lower parts kit. Finding parts right now really kind of sucks as I've got quite a few orders waiting to be filled. I'm hoping to have at least the upper done by the end of AUG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts