Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've ordered loaded ammo online and it got delivered today. As I mentioned in another thread, I bought a Sig P365 last weekend. Given the low margin on 9mm ammo, I decided to order loaded ammo online rather than my usual routine of reloading. The ammo was shipped via UPS and I received an email when it was delivered. Got the email so I texted my wife, "my package come?". She answered no, not to the door anyway but she'd go check if they just dropped it off in the driveway. Nope, not there either. Ok, hop in the car and drive down to the mailbox, about a 1/2 mile on a rural road. Ah ha! There's a box on the ground next to the mailbox. Yep, that's it!

Ok, I thought it a little odd that a shipment of ammo would just get dropped off at a mailbox some distance from the physical address. It seems to me that a signature would be required, don't you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition? I noticed on the UPS email I received that "Direct delivery" was requested. I'm not really sure what "direct delivery" is but if I were to guess, it would mean to a physical address at least.

For those who buy ammo online, what are your experiences?

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
I always note "leave at front door, no signature required" in the comments section, and check the "no signature required" in the delivery instructions. My front door is only eighty yards from the mailbox. I've never had any problems with deliveries. The UPS driver knows me, and has commented on the amount of ammo I have delivered.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
He always comes through my gate and sets it right in front of the door but, he also always knocks before leaving it. We use the tracking so it does not sit out even though its fairly hidden unless you come through the gate. Also, we have the same UPS guy who knows us and is also a "gun guy". A lot of places give you the "signature required "option as well.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I have all my ammo/gun parts shipped to where I work. There's always someone to sign for it and I know it won't walk away. Even if I'm off when it shows up I get a call to tell me it's there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They always drop mine, just inside my gate. One time, the outer shipping box busted open, but luckily, my ammo packages, are usually double boxed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I have my Ammo delivered to a UPS store where I have a private mailbox. It’s signed for but I am sure some of the kids who work there are under 18. None of the places I buy from online actually require a signature. It’s the customer’s choice.

Reactions: CavemanBob

·
Registered
819 Posts
USPS is the worst, if you want it to your door and/or signed for go FedEx or UPS.
My USPS won't even leave things in the Parcel Box I put up next to my mail box. If it wouldn't fit in my large mail box I'd get a note. When I was still working would have to take off a day and get it, as they were closed when I left and got home and only open on Saturdays for an hour and most times that would be past the 3 days.
Remember Chevy Chase and his experience with the USPS in "Funny Farm".
kind of fits what my carriers seem like!

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
I get my ammo from the LGS, but I have mailed thousand round boxes to my son in IN without difficulty...he lives out in the country. Just dropped off by his mailbox on a dirt road.
I should mention that even the mailman and UPS drivers fear his dog...no one has ever tried stealing packages.

·
Super Moderator
19,243 Posts
USPS is the worst, if you want it to your door and/or signed for go FedEx or UPS.
My USPS won't even leave things in the Parcel Box I put up next to my mail box. If it wouldn't fit in my large mail box I'd get a note. When I was still working would have to take off a day and get it, as they were closed when I left and got home and only open on Saturdays for an hour and most times that would be past the 3 days.
That's a function of your local USPS personnel. I'm sure my mail lady hates my guts by now as every couple of months I get a couple of thousand bullets delivered by the postal service, and less frequently, cases of loaded ammo. Flat-rate shipping by USPS spanks FedEx and UPS prices badly.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
That's a function of your local USPS personnel. I'm sure my mail lady hates my guts by now as every couple of months I get a couple of thousand bullets delivered by the postal service, and less frequently, cases of loaded ammo. Flat-rate shipping by USPS spanks FedEx and UPS prices badly.
So NOW we know why they're going broke ! :mad:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Cabelas had a sale on ammo with free shipping and I ordered it for home delivery. The delivery service just left it on my front porch in a plain box, no problems. I guess it depends on where you live. I might not do it in a neighborhood that has "porch pirates."

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Only ordered ammo by mail once, difficult to find EDC locally. No issues, but delivered to commercial address, so went to the office. Only have issues on Saturday and Sunday deliveries.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I’ve had Thousands of rounds delivered. A few years back the Fed-Ex driver asked what the hell are you doing with all this ammo? I said, shoot it. I gave him a card for the Shop I worked at. He stopped in looked around, talked for a while, came back a few days later and bought a 22. That started him shooting.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
When you used to be able to mail order ammo in California, UPS would usually make some effort to hide the package from street view. Never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I am suprised ANYONE would leave a parcel on the ground next to a mailbox under any circumstances. I would complain the package wasn't delivered to the house. I track all shipments and get notices of where it is in transit. But my mailbox is only 50 feet from my front door, so it isn't a difficult for them to deliver to the door. If that happened to me, I'd call the carrier (USPS, FEDEX, UPS, DHL) and complain.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I thought you couldn’t ship ammunition vis USPS:

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
My old UPS driver had my garage code and would leave the package in the garage. I moved and have a different one every time a package is delivered. Never had a problem with any delivery.

·
Premium Member
7,152 Posts
Some on line retailers have an option for signature required - for a couple dollars extra. When I order from SGAmmo they won't complete my order until I check that box and pay the extra. But Gramps ordered from them once and didn't have to check signature required to complete his order. Strange. Most other on line retailers do not make you pay for signature required IF they have that option, and we've had no problem YET with UPS or even FedEx delivering to our front door which is hidden from the street with the garage in front of the house and porch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts