Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned several times over the last few years that I thought the old Dan Wessons are the "best kept secret" out there for a really top-tier revolver at a reasonable cost.

Well, I was perusing GB today, looking at old DW's, and it seems the word has gotten out! Prices have nearly doubled in the last 5 years or so. The .44's, in particular, are really commanding premium prices these days!

In a moment of weakness, I allowed myself to be drawn into an auction for this ol' Model 14 .357 Mag:

Not pristine, but looks pretty good, and I won the auction. Price was about twice what it woulda been a few years ago, but I'm not sorry I got it! It'll be a nice addition to the DW stable here.

I'm a happy camper! Pics & range report to follow when I've got it in hand.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've only shot a Dan Wesson .41 and .44 mag revolver and was really impressed with the quality, smoothness and accuracy of them.
That's a sharp looking 6 shooter you got there.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts
Good guns. I had an 8" DW .44 magnum back in the 1990s. I sold it when we moved to Florida.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My Dan Wesson 715, a 6" .357 is my favorite revolver. It's an original, not the re-release that was apparently discontinued again in 2020 after just 2 or 3 years of production.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I have admired them from afar. Never met one in person but the ones I have read about looked very interesting.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I tried one in the mid 80s but it may have been leaded or had other problems and traded it back shortly for something else. They certainly were popular back then.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Dan Wesson 715, a 6" .357 is my favorite revolver. It's an original, not the re-release that was apparently discontinued again in 2020 after just 2 or 3 years of production.
Man, that's a major disappointment! I didn't realize they'd discontinued the new revolvers!

I was hoping the prices would come down a bit, and maybe I'd snag a 715 - maybe even a Pistol-Pack. So much for that plan! :confused:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Bought 4 of them back in the late '70's , a 15-2 4 & 8 " barrels a 22lr 4" . Also bought a 6" 44mag with vented and solid barrel that I sold that few years back . MY wife bought her self a 6" 15-2 after shooting mine .

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts
When we moved to Oregon, I replaced the sold 8" DW .44 magnum with an 8" Colt Anaconda .44 magnum.

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
You are right about them getting pricey! There was a minty early 90's Dan Wesson .44 mag w/ 6" bbl for sale on a local gun forum recently that sold for $850! I love my 1982 DW 15-2 w/ 6" bbl its without a doubt the most accurate handgun (in my hands) I have ever shot!

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are right about them getting pricey! There was a minty early 90's Dan Wesson .44 mag w/ 6" bbl for sale on a local gun forum recently that sold for $850!...
How recently was that? A "minty" DW .44 for $850 might be pretty hard to come by these days!

There's a pretty nice looking 8" on GB right now at $830, but with 2 days+ to go, I'd be surprised if it goes for under a grand.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
How recently was that? A "minty" DW .44 for $850 might be pretty hard to come by these days!

There's a pretty nice looking 8" on GB right now at $830, but with 2 days+ to go, I'd be surprised if it goes for under a grand.
Right after Thanksgiving!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts