Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am irrationally attracted to 1911 type handguns. Up until now they have been relegated to Range work. Every time I find myself in a discussion about carry most seem to think they are a poor choice. The reasons I hear most are:

- they have a safety and you may not flick it off under pressure
- capacity is limited for size of pistol and weight
- they are unreliable

Would like to hear other perspectives because I am considering a Dan Wesson Eco 9MM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
1911s have been shooting our enemies for a LONG time..............

The safety is a training issue..........

You can buy a lightweight frame..........

The capacity issue is real, but also a lot slimmer to carry--call it a toss up and make your choice.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
From time to time I carry a 1911, I train to "flick" the safety off (muscle memory), carry a spare mag, Never had one fail. The 1911 has been a proven fight stopper for over a hundred years. I never feel at a disadvantage when I carry my 1911. Just get a good holster.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
- Whether or not the safety is an issue is a training issue. I tend to think that for most people, a 1911 is not the best choice for a CCW. If you're willing to train & practice enough, it's not an issue.

- Whether the capacity vs. size/weight is an issue is a judgement call. Everyone has his own opinion about how much capacity (or caliber, or whatever) he's willing to give up for concealability/comfort/convenience. Some are OK with 5 or 6 rounds of .38 or .380, others feel like they need 15+1 of 10mm and a bunch of spare mags. Your call.

- The reliability issue is baloney. You'll be hard pressed to find a more reliable pistol than a DW 1911 that's properly maintained.

- I want an ECO. Badly! :yup:

I CC'd a Colt Combat Commander a good bit many years ago, but have favored plastic fantastics (M&P's) in recent years. The Sig C3 (CCO-sized) sees occasional duty. When I get my ECO, I expect that my 1911-carrying will increase!

·
Super Moderator
19,203 Posts
Still have the first 1911 gun I purchased 38 years ago. It's unfailingly dependable as is every one acquired since.

-I don't alter, customize, mess with, or monkey around with 1911 guns. Just won't do it. Shoot 'em, keep 'em clean and lubed, maybe change out a spring once in a blue moon or when you think about it, which ever comes first. Don't be tempted to mess with it! Just leave it alone! Leave it ... !!! 1911 guns will treat you just as "right," will give excellent service and make you just as happy as the guns that are said to be "perfection."

-Get a proper belt. A real gun belt will make all the difference in how heavy a full-sized 1911 ( or any fightin' gun of decent size/weight) wears at one's side.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I am irrationally attracted to 1911 type handguns. Up until now they have been relegated to Range work. Every time I find myself in a discussion about carry most seem to think they are a poor choice. The reasons I hear most are:

- they are unreliable

Would like to hear other perspectives because I am considering a Dan Wesson Eco 9MM.

Been shooting 1911's from around 1964 and had no trouble with the safety even under big pressure. And I never seen anyone that has trouble with one. If people can't do the safety even under pressure, they should take up six shooters. :yup:

·
Registered
631 Posts
- Whether or not the safety is an issue is a training issue. I tend to think that for most people, a 1911 is not the best choice for a CCW. If you're willing to train & practice enough, it's not an issue.

- Whether the capacity vs. size/weight is an issue is a judgement call. Everyone has his own opinion about how much capacity (or caliber, or whatever) he's willing to give up for concealability/comfort/convenience. Some are OK with 5 or 6 rounds of .38 or .380, others feel like they need 15+1 of 10mm and a bunch of spare mags. Your call.

- The reliability issue is baloney. You'll be hard pressed to find a more reliable pistol than a DW 1911 that's properly maintained.

- I want an ECO. Badly! :yup:

I CC'd a Colt Combat Commander a good bit many years ago, but have favored plastic fantastics (M&P's) in recent years. The Sig C3 (CCO-sized) sees occasional duty. When I get my ECO, I expect that my 1911-carrying will increase!
Hey now... some of us just carry 2 10mm's with no spare mags.

·
Administrator
144,767 Posts
Actually you can carry it with an excellent 8 round magazine + 1 in the chamber and then since everybody that carries any semi-automatic pistol should carry one spare magazine...(just my personal opinion on that) you can make that one a high quality 10 round magazine and that really sort of levels out the capacity concerns.

As far as reliability (in general) is concerned....they are amazingly reliable handguns.

·
Super Moderator
20,163 Posts

- they are unreliable

You're obviously not discussing with the right people.

Short of being a "fanboy," I do hold a preference for the 1911 for several reasons. First and foremost, and possibly because it's the gun I started with, it fits my hand well and it's a natural pointer for me. Next, it's more compact (flatter) than my Glock 23 and my Sig 220, which makes a difference when concealment is a concern. Next, it is one of the safest handguns available, with a grip safety, drop-safety protections (no matter how achieved - Series 80, Swartz system, or lightweight firing pin and stiff FP spring), and a superior manual safety which positively blocks the sear when engaged. Any safety considerations beyond that are necessarily in the software (what's between the ears), not the hardware.

Might not flick off the safety under pressure? Sure, and you might short-stroke a revolver trigger or limp-wrist a Glock under pressure - all have comparable probabilities. Granted, if you started out with a Sig or a Glock or a revolver it might take some time to become used to a manual safety, but unless one is really dense, it's a matter of knowing what you're carrying. The ergonomic location of the 1911 manual safety puts it right under the thumb of the right-handed shooter, and it is hard to ignore.

As far as capacity is concerned, with 8+1 rounds available in .45 (or 10+1 in 9mm) it's ahead of revolvers which were de riguer in US law enforcement for a century. I shoot competitively with a 1911 in .45, and leaving out Master class and better shooters, my hit probability is generally better than those shooting guns with 15+ round capacity, and I assure you I am only an average-level shooter. The competitive shooting scores are based on accuracy and time, and I lose out on time, not accuracy. If I could move this sexagenarian body faster I'd probably move up two classes. But my point here is while no gunfight survivor ever wished for fewer rounds in the gun, I do not feel handicapped by a single stack.

Unreliable? Hard to prove by my experience. My 1990-vintage Springer 1911-A1 had an early extractor failure at over 5000 rounds and the mag release button at around 10,000 rounds. The Springer TRP I use for competition had an extractor fail around 15K rounds. (Extractors are a known limited-life item on 1911s and going forward I'll just replace them at 10K intervals.) That's the sum total of "unreliablity" issues I've had on 4 1911s - 3 Springers and a Kimber.

I frequently trust the safety of my life and those under the mantle of my protection to 1911s in .45, and I do not feel like I need more "insurance." YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
19,161 Posts
I own 1911s in price ranges from RIA to my Les Baer and out of all I have owned I have only run into one that just did not work (traded that boat anchor off) but besides that all mine are reliable.

As far as the safety, I wondered about that on occasion until I shot my first IDPA match, never once forgot to release the safety.

Capacity, I never worry about it. Depending on model or caliber I carry 7+1, 8+1 or 10+1.

Weight, a good gun belt and proper holster make a world of difference in comfort level.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Caveat: I've been drinking.

If you want to experience the 1911 with little investment, buy a Rock Island. They are inexpensive and utterly brilliant. Or maybe buy one of the surplus FN High Powers that are popping up. They are the ultimate iteration of the 1911 concept. Then practice pulling and switching of the safety until you are comfortable with it.

John Browning was the Issac Newton of weapons design. The 1911, now more than 100 years old, is still the best shooting handgun I have ever shot. Even the cheap 1911s like the Auto Ordinance that was my first 1911 are better than every other non-1911 I've ever shot. I have owned half a dozen 1911s of different brands, and all have been completely reliable if they didn't need attention from a gunsmith. It is mind blowing to me that no one has ever improved in Browning's design.

I truly don't mean to be a snob, but after 30+ years of shooting, I just can't imagine shooting a 1911 and thinking any other pistol is in the same league. Some DA/SA come close, but you still have to struggle thru that DA shot. I own non-1911 guns, but the 1911 is the standard the others fail to live up to.

In a way, I'm more amazed with the 1911 every time I shoot it. Yes, the Glock concept is simpler, but I truly think that if Browning had designed the Glock, he'd had said, "meh, the trigger sucks" and kept working.

Geez, I sound like a fanatic. Like I said, lately I've just been blown away by the brilliance of the 1911. And, I've been drinking few a few hours now.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
philly01 You could swap a number of handgun brand names in the tread inplace of the the 1911 as there will always befolks that have problems with a handgun an whine about it . I probably carry a couple of them including a 1911 Kimber ultra 9mm and another "Known " problem brand, KAHR . 4 of them . I also trust my Kimber ultra 9mm with 9 round Wilson mags and 10 round back mags for a 1000 rounds fired and zero issues so far. Now buy your DW or not . Your choice . You do like a wise man would and go over o 1911 forum and read up on the DW section. May ask a couple questions too .

·
Registered
681 Posts
First of all, let me say, I love 1911's. All of you guys that are saying you have shot 1911's for years without any failures, are on my radar as a BS'er. I know they are very reliable but I also know they can be trouble. I had a Rock Island that was a jam-o-matic. I had the ramp polished and it was great after that. But I still wouldn't say that it was problem free. The older 1911's were much more loose and ran better without jamming issues. Todays newer 1911's are much more tight and can have jaming issuses. Things like limp wristing and different ammo becomes a bigger problem on the newer tighter 1911's. That being said, I would have Zero issues with carrying one. Just don't buy a 1911 (no matter what brand) and think you are buying a gun that is worry free and you will never have a problem with. Good luck to the Op. Buy you a nice 1911 and never look back.

Reactions: kristo

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I worried about the safety as well until I trained with my 1911 to the point that nowadays I "sweep" the safety of revolvers when I draw them.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts

- they are unreliable

Each of those reasons are falsehoods. The only limiting factor for a 1911 is size. A 1911 takes more training to acquire proficiency, thats all.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I regularly carry my Kimber 45 Ultra CDP II with hardly any problems. I've limp wrist-ed it a few times and used cheap ammo that it didn't like but I have overcome all that. Granted, I have never had to use my Kimber in any high stress, life threatening situation, but I have I have no concerns about how it would function. Just familiarize yourself with it and practice all you can. I don't always carry my Kimber 1911, but when I do, I feel...special.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts