Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm 1911-less.

Today I did something very unlikely for me. I gave away a firearm.

I got back into town around 3am this morning. After waking up around 8am I decided to run out by my parents place to take a shower. I got my glock and my 1911 out of the office safe, grabbed my shower bag, hopped in my car, and made the drive out there.

Once out there, my father and I started talking about guns (he especially loves talking about his days as a SeaBee, toting a BAR and sometimes a 1911.) Well, once the talk turned to 1911's, he mentioned again how much he liked my Para that I bought. So I told him to hold on, ran out to my car, and got it.

Handing it over to him, he looked it over, racked the slide and checked the chamber to make sure it was empty, then held it out in both hands aiming down the sights.

"So what do you think?"

"Nice gun."

"You want it?"

"You serious?"

"Yeah, it doesn't do much more than sit in the safe, and I've barely fired any rounds through it. The only condition is I get it back in the will, or if something happens to my Glock."

So, I don't have a 1911 anymore, but my dad got one hell of a nice early fathers day gift.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
You deserve a hand :congrats:

I'm sure your Dad is both happy and proud. I 'm sure all of his buddies will be envious. You're the man!!!

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

You deserve a

Kinda makes me think I wish I'd have had children in a way....maybe a son like you.......maybe some twenty something years ago.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts

You deserve a

Kinda makes me think I wish I'd have had children in a way....maybe a son like you.......maybe some twenty something years ago.
I wish I had mine twenty years ago too...I'm 41 with an 8 year old and a 1 year old. By the time they finish college I won't remember who they are.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I would like to adopt you, IF you have another 1911.....:hand5:

Good for you.:congrats:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
You were a GREAT son. That is a great gesture and your dad must be very proud of you!!! :congrats:

·
Registered
41,559 Posts
I have a picture of my dad, also a Seabee on Tinian in WWII, with his .45 in hand. I was going to take him out shooting my G30 at Thanksgiving but things didn't work out. He died 12-21. I really regret not doing it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
As already been said, you are a great son. When the time comes that you get that gun back it will have a far greater value than the $$ you paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Well done!:yup::yup::congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To all of you who said you wished you had son like me, believe me, I was a real ******* when I was growing up. This is my way of attempting to make up for a small portion of that. Lol :rofl:

My father has only two firearms left from a massive collection he built over his 70 years. A Rossi snubnose, and an old Smith & Wesson revolver (I have no idea what frame), both in .38. I wanted him to have something a little more, both in caliber and capacity. I had originally planned on giving it to him later this year anyway.

Besides, since he retired, he's taken a job as a greeter at Wally world, so he'll know when that ultra-rare (in our area) .45 acp comes in. :wink:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
To all of you who said you wished you had son like me, believe me, I was a real ******* when I was growing up. This is my way of attempting to make up for a small portion of that. Lol :rofl:
I know what you mean. Once I had kids, all of the stuff I did growing up didn't seem so cool anymore. I actually apologized to my parents for all of my mischieviousness.

·
Registered
11,498 Posts
You are a good son. Pat on the back to you.:hand10:

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Congrats for being a good son... KUDOS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's a gesture that you will both remember and cherish for the rest of your lives.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My kids have set up a drawing for my guns. It will be a cold day before they give me a gun. They do however buy me ammo!!!!!
Plus help me shoot it when they visit - I miss them.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Good son, no matter what you did as a kid. :congrats:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts