Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I was asked to leave a bank because I was carrying. The manager of the bank said that it says on the front door that no firearms are allowed inside. I asked her to show me the sign as I had not seen it when I entered. It was at the bottom of the door and about the size of a fifty cent piece. It had a picture of a gun inside a circle, with a slash through it. My question is, when does an establishments rules override state law?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know about Georgia, but I was taught that here in Florida it is illegal to carry in a bank.
On the rare occasion that I have to visit my bank, I use the drivethrough window.
Armed, of course.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Agree w/ Bud. Also check your state laws. most have sign size and placement rules. At any rate, I would spread the word to all my gun owning buddies about the bank too.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
jabo2818 said:
The other day, I was asked to leave a bank because I was carrying. The manager of the bank said that it says on the front door that no firearms are allowed inside. I asked her to show me the sign as I had not seen it when I entered. It was at the bottom of the door and about the size of a fifty cent piece. It had a picture of a gun inside a circle, with a slash through it. My question is, when does an establishments rules override state law?
Don't know about Georgia. In Alabama there is no provision in the law for posting no guns signs. Some states have included in the law a formula that must be used in the sign. Check with state AG. He will be your best source. I suspect that even if it is possible to post no gun signs the one the bank posted does not meet the states requirements. The rules in states that have them usually have the requirement that the sign be prominently placed. Some even have size requirements. I think Texas has the statement that must be on the sign and the statement includes the Code section listed in it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The sign at my bank just says no sunglasses or headgear :hand10:

Don't they know people don't rob banks with guns - they rob banks with notes?! Man, around here the bank robbers have them trained so well :sheep: you don't even have to write anything on the note - just walk in with a blank piece of paper and they start shoveling money into the bags.

You'd think they would have welcomed you . . . just in case someone had tried to steal one of those pens they keep chained up :rofl:

LibertyGal

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Most state laws provide an "out" for a business or private property. They can post a sign and or ask you to leave. If you fail to do so and the police are called you may be charged under whatever law is applicable in your area. In Virginia it is trespassing.

My local bank was acquired by one of those North Carolina banks that is buying everything in sight. They posted my bank. I wrote them a letter and got a snotty reply. I not only removed my money, but told everyone else I knew to remove theirs as well. They all followed me across the street to another local bank. I told the bank that lost my business and the bank that gained my business exactly why.:22a:

I also posted the snotty letter on the internet and let a lot of other pro-rights activists know about it. So the loss in deposits was probably much more significant in the end. Make them pay financially or they will all do it. I have since moved, but I doubt the bank changed its policy. Too many people not willing to have a small inconvenience to exercise their rights.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
steve_db said:
I don't know about Georgia, but I was taught that here in Florida it is illegal to carry in a bank.
On the rare occasion that I have to visit my bank, I use the drivethrough window.
Armed, of course.
Banks are not on the prohibited list for Florida.

See Florida Firearms - Law, Use & Ownership, Sixth Ed, pp 67.

Matt

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
If the bank does not want your presence take your money and leave.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
How did she know you were carrying?
As Janq mentions - my question too!

In PA fortunately - at least in my locality - no problems with that. I know of no signage that is legally binding and if any sign shown then worst would be a request to leave.

I too would move to another bank if so treated.

Oddly - not too many weeks ago my own branch was held up by a guy with a gun - but he'd have gone in anyways wouldn't he - sign or no sign!

·
Registered
219 Posts
MattLarson said:

Matt
Thanks Matt!
I was misinformed. My instructor told us that CCW was prohibited on Federal property and a bank is considered federal propery.
Perhaps I misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In Texas there are only two types of legal signs that prohibit carrying in firearms. On is strictly for the use of an establishment that makes 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol. The other sign must be posted in English and in Spanish and must follow certain guidelines. If they fail to follow the rules than the sign isn't legal and means nothing.

The signs of guns in a crossed out circle mean nothing in Texas. Oh and we can also carry in any state building and post office. I can meet with the Governor of Texas with my ccw on me. Just can't take into any federal building, like everywhere else. As for the Post Office, since the late 1970s (Ibelieve) the Post office has been a private interprise and not operated by the federal government.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
MattLarson said:

Matt
You beat me to it Matt but that is correct. It is also not on the list of banned places on the state website which is guarenteed accurate by the state! I carry in mine every time.

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
I guess I am fortunate, I bank with USAA and it's a long trip to San Antonio, TX from Alabama so I do all my banking by mail or 'net. Even if I did go to the bank I doubt that United Services Automobile Association (USAA) an organization founded by and for military officers would post a no guns sign. I could be wrong, but I expect they would get some rather pointed letters from their stockholders - us. In Alabama the law states that two places are no gun zones: public K-12 schools and courthouses. City hall is not restricted. I carry in ours all the time. If you are within 1000 feet of a public demonstration you can be asked by LE to either leave or leave and return without gun.

Most state offices are considered no gun zones, though I have never seen a sign. I serve on the executive board of the state library of Alabama and the comptroller is a gun person. I showed him my P239 last time I was at a meeting and told him that since I was going to be in the meeting with the executive board I had decided to lock it in my COM gun vault. He said that was a good idea because state offices were no gun zones. I asked where are the signs and he said there were none. I then asked where is the law since the law only specifically mentions schools and courthouses. He said there wasn't one, but that noone wants to be the test case. I agree. So I'll just keep locking mine up when I go to the meeting.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Banks are private institutions and can establish there own policies on firearms in their buildings just like stores or private residences. In CT you can carry in banks unless posted or you are asked to leave and I have yet to go somewhere that was posted bank or otherwise.

·
Registered
660 Posts
In AZ, banks are not on the prohibited list either but if any business posts a sign you must obey. Even if they don't have any signs posted, if they happen to notice that you are carrying and don't approve, all they have to do is ask that you leave and you must obey.

·
Banned
23 Posts
gotammo said:
Banks are private institutions and can establish there own policies on firearms in their buildings just like stores or private residences.
I guess that depends entirely upon the definition of "private institution." In my opinion, any corporation that is traded publically is in fact...well, public. Jerry's B-B-Q, owned and operated by Jerry, is private in my eyes and has the right to restrict entry.

BTW - I carry my H&K USP .45 open on my hip when I visit my bank...and have never been asked to leave.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
private business owners can ask a ccw carrier to leave, so the bank is acting "correctly".
1. again, how did they know?
2. I would have went to my car, disarmed, and then went back in to clear out and cancel all my accounts in front of the manager.
3. Then a letter to the local newspaper editor, describing my qualifications to own and carry a firearm, and the crime rate decrease with the ability to carry concealed. so on and so forth.
4. I would contact the bank head office, and notify them.
5. Finally, a call to the NRA.
the BG's don't try to conceal the firearm....they are using it to scare people...so back to #1. I am not implying you were brandishing, but she seen it somehow.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.