Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends, a few minutes ago I was interviewed. Now, for new members this is when a potential bad guy asks you a particular question to determine if you are sheeple. Well, about 15 minutes ago as I walked out of a local book store I was on my usual alert. I normally speak or make myself aware of people that are walking towards me in parking lots. I watch their hands eyes and normally speak. Well, tonight I did the normal routine except the guy continued in my direction. I immediately placed my book under my left arm pit and placed both hands on my stomache about mid level and here is the conversation:

BG: Hey you know how to jump start a car?
BL: No, man I sure don't. ( This was said as I increased the distance between he and I, me backing up slightly aware of what and who was behind me.)

I know that seemed short but the entire time I looked into eyes, my spirit was building up and I knew this was an interview. The BG looked me over and continued to move to the inside of the store never asking anyone else if they could help him.

I relearned something tonight, and that is when you need a gun it does not matter what caliber it is. I had my .38 snub with 125 grain +P Gold Dots in the tubes, a reload and my knife and I was ready for anything that would have come next. My philosophy is this, never go without a fight. Be safe friends because the BG's are out there.

Thank You Lord for bringing me home....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Very likely a ''try-on'' ......... same category as ''got the time'' - ''got a light'', except more involved and so anyone caught with that line who may offer to help would be vulnerable more and for longer.

When wolf meets sheepdog and knows it - that's as far as it need go.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
One thought here, maybe he did need a jump,
The BG looked me over and continued to move to the inside of the store never asking anyone else if they could help him.
it is good to be cautious but a true BG would not likely have gone into the store and asked every one there who could ID him later for help. Next time while keeping yor distance ask to see a DL and other ID, a true BG would run from this request. Sorry but I carry one of those portable jump starters and have given aid to a lot of people who needed it.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
On the other hand...

it is possible that he just needed a jump.

The guy isnt going to go around asking just everyone, more than likey he's gonna ask people that look like they have a clue if hes got half a brain. If it were me doing the asking, Im going to make my time productive, I probably wont be asking old men, old women, people that look like computer nerds or teenagers that are challenged when they put gas in the car.

Its very possible that you looked like you might actually know how to jump a car. Its very possible that no ill intent was forthcoming, and he thought that you could be of help.

Something else to consider...
A guy up to no good usually wont start out a conversation with a technical question that implys a bit of knowledge.

Like JSheldon, I too have "jumped" several people. If you are concerned about them getting the drop on you while you are hooking up...you simply stand back and let them do it. If all they want to do is get a jump, then it'll be no problem.

Its good to be vigilant, but you dont need top make every question that is asked of you a major ordeal, because its not. Most of the time, a simple plea for help is just that...a simple plea for help.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kind of figured I would get some saying that I should have gave into the guy and possibly helped him. Trust, me this is the reason they do what they do because they know deep inside we as humans want to help. This is how so many people get robbed and killed each and everyday. First, I noticed no car or truck in the area that needed this type of attention ( the hood raised etc.) Guys lets not get soft here, we must trust the little voice that is inside of us. Now, my little voice was saying be careful. Well, anyway, thanks for the comments and I hope someone read something here to help them.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good job--glad you flunked.

IMO, typical interview.

Others can respond as they wish, I would echo your response.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Good job! :congrats:

I understand the desire to help our fellow man, but sadly and tragically in this day and age, you have to be cautious about EVERYBODY! Trust your gut and instincts (like you did) and always watch your back.

You made it home safe tonight. That's what counts! :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Its good to help others, but you need to size up the individual and make your own choice. Blue Lion was there, and it was his butt on the line to risk. I will not second guess him from my computer chair.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Good job listening to the voice.

I've helped more than one person with a "jump", and I've declined to help a couple of times with various things because "it didn't feel right".

Got to listen to that voice, God put it there for a reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Listening to "The Voice" could keep you alive. Not listening to it might help an innocent stranger get his car started/tire changed/flat tire fixed a little faster. It's a sad state of affairs that this is even an issue, but I'll pick keeping myself alive every time. You did the right thing. If he really needed help, he got it from somebody else.

·
Registered
577 Posts
like he said, there was no car with its hood up in plain sight, so i would have done the same thing. Now if its in a barnes and noble parking lot and i can see the car and there are people around then sure I'll be a good samaritan, but i'll still be careful. I don't turn my back to strangers.
Sure, more than likely the guy just needed a jump. And more than likely your voice was wrong. But would you bet your life on it. Better safe than dead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seems to me Blue Lion knew his turf and the threat levels around him and acted at the appropriate level.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have to agree with your assessment, Blue Lion. You were there and you came home safe. If you were wrong, all that happened was he had to call AAA. If you were right and ignored you instincts, you wouldn't have been able to post the incident. Good job.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
BlueLion said:
Hello friends, a few minutes ago I was interviewed. Now, for new members this is when a potential bad guy asks you a particular question to determine if you are sheeple. Well, about 15 minutes ago as I walked out of a local book store I was on my usual alert. I normally speak or make myself aware of people that are walking towards me in parking lots. I watch their hands eyes and normally speak. Well, tonight I did the normal routine except the guy continued in my direction. I immediately placed my book under my left arm pit and placed both hands on my stomache about mid level and here is the conversation:

BG: Hey you know how to jump start a car?
BL: No, man I sure don't. ( This was said as I increased the distance between he and I, me backing up slightly aware of what and who was behind me.)

I know that seemed short but the entire time I looked into eyes, my spirit was building up and I knew this was an interview. The BG looked me over and continued to move to the inside of the store never asking anyone else if they could help him.

I relearned something tonight, and that is when you need a gun it does not matter what caliber it is. I had my .38 snub with 125 grain +P Gold Dots in the tubes, a reload and my knife and I was ready for anything that would have come next. My philosophy is this, never go without a fight. Be safe friends because the BG's are out there.

Thank You Lord for bringing me home....
Amen to bringing you home safely. In HIS grip, ALWAYS.

About 15 years ago, I was leaving a buddy's boat (yacht?) late at night down at the marina in Coconut Grove. It's late maybe 11pm and the lot is lit. I see these two dudes and they split off. One goes wide to my right. The other guy comes up and gets about thirty feet from me at the head of the pier I'm on. He calls out to me if I have a match for his cigarette. I say no and stop. He asks if he can get some change from me for the soda machine and I say wait, lemme check. I casually sweep my vest aside (deliberately to the rear) and expose the cocked and locked 1911 for the merest of moments. It was enough. Dude #1 on the pier wheels and whistles LOUDLY to Dude#2 to my right near a green dumpster. They both split without a word.

I KNOW it was probably an example of unlawful display but I was right about the "interview" and it worked. I did report the incident and the cops had NO problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
imo better to listen to the little voice than end up in the little box good job bluemy only fear in that situation would be that he would take a pass on me and find some sheepl but you cant watch over every one thats god job imo good lookin out

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think you did it right, Blue Lion. This could have been a ruse to get you and your vehicle close by for an assault and theft. Same thing happened to me one night at Wal-Mart. I noticed that he had a cell phone so I told him to use it to call the local ph. # for the Police (not 911) they would help him. He glared at me and then walked away.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts