Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased these today for my backup gun, taurus tcp .380... read good things about them, but a $1.00 per round?!

Sent from my Torque

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
They are about .73/rd on Gun Bot. Plus shipping.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I remember paying close to that before the rage of the Fall of 2012, I don't think you were ripped off.

Reactions: 65108

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
That is pretty much what the normal price for those rounds are,thats why I buy 50 round boxes of Ranger Talon/or speer Gold dot for around .60 cents a round shipped when you can find them...TDS had some Federal HST 9mm for $29.00 a 50 round box earlier,limit 3 boxes

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow ok. Well I feel a little better lol. I have never fired one of these rounds before..just the federal target .95 grain...but at $1 a round I think I'm gonna hold off inn shooting them

Sent from my Torque

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
These rounds are not for range or practice shooting. These are carry rounds.
No, you were not ripped off, since you made the decision to pay that price. These rounds are never cheap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've picked up a few boxes of those...usually between $18.99 and $21.99. Dicks sells them at $24.99 I believe.

·
Registered
42,984 Posts
A bullet in the mag is better than two on the store shelf.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
In today's market, that's about the going rate for in-store purchase of those CD cartridges. You could find them a little cheaper (~$18/box) online, but then you'd be paying shipping.

Don't feel too bad - I've seen the same stuff selling for $36/box, and other premium .380 SD ammo for more than that.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Are there better options than the critical defense

Sent from my Torque
Federal HST or Ranger T are better defensive rounds, but I don't actually know if either is available in .380. I'm sure it will be fine, but do make sure you function test a box through the gun before you trust your life to them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Federal HST or Ranger T are better defensive rounds, but I don't actually know if either is available in .380. I'm sure it will be fine, but do make sure you function test a box through the gun before you trust your life to them.
An entire box? Pricey test lol.
This gun is my ankle carry...not primary.

Sent from my Torque

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts

Sent from my Torque
Well, look at it this way. If you need the pistol for self defense, and you find out that it has feed problems when you are in the middle of a defensive encounter, that price will most likely be a lot higher than a couple boxes of ammo.

IMO, it doesn't matter if it's your backups backup. If it serves any SD purpose where you might need it, I think you'd be taking a risk not to test it. I run several hundred rounds of my carry ammo through my primary carry gun, and while I don't carry a second firearm, I wouldn't lower my standards for it just because it's not the primary.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
you didn't get ripped off. Defensive premium ammo isn't cheap

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Sent from my Torque
From what I have read in the past they have some feeding issues in some guns due to the rubber extruding from the front adding friction on certain feed ramps. I'd feel a lot better about carrying them after putting a box down range!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, look at it this way. If you need the pistol for self defense, and you find out that it has feed problems when you are in the middle of a defensive encounter, that price will most likely be a lot higher than a couple boxes of ammo.

IMO, it doesn't matter if it's your backups backup. If it serves any SD purpose where you might need it, I think you'd be taking a risk not to test it. I run several hundred rounds of my carry ammo through my primary carry gun, and while I don't carry a second firearm, I wouldn't lower my standards for it just because it's not the primary.
Good points thank you.

Sent from my Torque

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
With a little luck they will last you 25 years or more. Rather than think of it as $1 per round... think of it as $1 per year!

Reactions: Leviathan
1 - 20 of 65 Posts