Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions from people who have been in this position before:

My wife's family is taking us all on a Caribbean cruise the first week of December. Of course cruise ships are "disarmed-victim zones" to the extreme of no pocket knifes or even pepper spray.

The details are very frustrating as the tickets were bought before I had a chance to say "No."

So because I love my wife, I am going on the cruise (though I would rather not go), and I will be forced to leave every defensive item behind.

I would like suggestions for "creative" defensive solutions that are perhaps possible in a cruise-ship setting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people.

You might consider some innocuous yet pointy object. I have seen a "defensive stylus" somewhere. Looked like a colored pencil, but was solid. Any ball-point pen could be lethal.

http://www.shivworks.com/stylus.asp

And there's Trevanian's hero in "The Eiger Sanction" who could kill with a tightly rolled-up magazine!

·
Banned
303 Posts
Sharpened #2 pencils, use in the eyes, neck, arms or legs. Single edged razor blades ( take a razor with them so no suspicion is aroused). Anything long and slender with a sharp point, ie; metal fingernail file. How about one of those long back scratchers with sharp claws, those things could put out an eye!! I'm sure you'll think of others. Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Jaltered - apart from seeing your birthdate I know not which year and so your age.

The best possible would IMO be a suitable walking cane - but maybe you are too young to pull that off. Maybe get a cane and before the trip, conveniently ''sprain your ankle'' - and so need help hobbling around! :wink:

Beyond that may I suggest too the proverbial sock full of loose change!!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
once onboard look for things that can be used as weapons, say for instance a butterknife or steak knife, fork or even a handle of a spoon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Belt Buckle

My grandpa told me a couple years ago after 9/11 why he always wears a heavier belt and a western style heavier belt buckle. This everyday piece of attire can be turned into a pretty brutal weapon in no time. His point was that he always carried a weapon when flying and I asked how that was (thinking he meant a knife or gun) and then he told me what kind of damage he saw a belt and belt buckle do while in Korea and that he was always armed with one. I can attest to how quickly a belt can come out of the pants and become a weapon however it was always because I was on the receiving end of a "whooping" :biggrin: from pa.

·
Registered
540 Posts
you can always take a flashlight :biggrin: Streamlight TL2s work fine.

·
Super Moderator
25,603 Posts
Jaltered said:
Of course cruise ships are "disarmed-victim zones" to the extreme of no pocket knifes
WHAT!!!???? Not even the Swiss Army knife? That's unbelievable.

There are always some type of weapon around if you know what you are doing. One of the most common, that even gets by TSA, your keys. If you don't have a a nice long car key, find one! :smile:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I always have the following with me on the airplane.

Laptop power supply
Steel shaft pens
#2 pencils
Keys
Shotgun choke tool
Heavy belt and buckle
Various cords about 6ft or a little better in length
Can of soda/pop
A Surefire light

All these weapons should be allowed on a cruise ship as well.

-Scott-

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I know how you feel, BTDT the security on these ships is very tight, however they do not search you luggage, if it leaves your room however and they find it they will confiscate it. Heck they even took someones soldering iron that they bought at a Radio Shack. Go figure maybe they feared that they were going to melt a holein the side of the ship (not). Yes I felt Naked without my HK but I still had a good time all things considered.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How about one of those innocuous looking fountain pens that have a long solid knife blade attached to the inside of the cap?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Flashlights and canes and those big, fat Sharpie markers are your friends in these types of situations.

A few other items that are also excellent are the Stinger and the Travel Wrench.

Of course, I highly doubt that they'll actually search your bag so I would probably carry a couple of knives with me anyway. Notice, I won't go on record as actually reccommending that you violate the restrictions, I'm just telling you what I would do :wink: .

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't understand. Are they going to rummage through every last bit of your luggage to find a pocket knife??

I'd get a couple of used ones on ebay, or from a forum member, and bury them deep in my suitcase.

They would come out on the ship and probably be reserved for state room defense. These should be folders you wouldnt be upset about if you had to drop them off the side into davy jones locker.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
The Cold Steel City Stick

I would buy a City Stick & "LIMP" going aboard ship. :biggrin:
Click Here For The Cold Steel City Stick

"If you have been looking for a classy walking stick that's just at home at the opera as it is on a stroll through the urban jungle, look no further. Our new City Stick fits in at just about any social situation and is just as functional as it is good looking. Its glossy black shaft is made out of eleven layers of fiberglass and, in our horrific impact tests, proved to be unbreakable. For eye appeal, it's topped with a mirror polished "head" made of 300 series stainless steel that's highly resistant to rusting and just about begs for your custom engraving. To keep you from slipping on the mean streets and cracked sidewalks, each City Stick is capped with a thick rubber ferrule that looks good and gives excellent traction."

·
Registered
950 Posts
The stylus seems pretty good and if not a good pen would work. I would be vigilant and aware of my surroundings at all times. I also would not drink any alcohol. Be aware very aware. In these days and times anything is possible. I don't see myself taking any major trips anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Try to purchase an inexpensive knife (that can be lost or confiscated without causing major heartburn :wink: ) before the trip or at the first port of call.
Above all, please enjoy a nice vacation on a cruise through the Caribbean :palmier:

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
You fellas really should look into the offerings by Choate.
There are non-detectable and hold-up extremely well, first hand experience, I've had mine since 1989-90.

(this is not a paid endorsement :wink:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts