Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was practicing some dry firing and I noticed that I could see the front sight clearly part of the time and then I had a hard time seeing it. What I found out was that when I tilted my head down enough I could see through the top part of my bifocals and then I would try to tip my head back to see through the bottom part. Tipping my head back was distorting the view of the sights. The line on my bifocals are higher than most because I used to work where I had to look up a lot. I have an old pair of glasses that I had made for when I had the old tower computer with the desk top monitor that set about three feet away from my face. I dug those old glasses out and tried them and I couldn't believe how clear the sights are on the gun now. Somebody said on here that some professional instruction can help you to do things right the first time. I am starting to see the value in that. But even that might not have helped me enough until I figured out that I couldn't see the sights properly. Now that I am starting to learn I think that our instructor in our concealed carry class should have told us to go home and practice dry firing exercises up until time to qualify. Maybe if I run into him I will suggest that to him.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
My new glasses I have to look a bit up to get the front sight focused ( my glasses one week old). Need some range time this weekend to get my sight line adjusted ( I feel your pain)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll be 64 this month and my front sights are fuzzy too. I wear glasses with progressive lenses and in order to seem them clearly I have to tilt my head back so far that it's slow and uncomfortable. Several years ago I even had glasses made with lenses with the focal point on the front sight. They worked but were useless for everyday wear not to mention making me dizzy when I wore them. I only tried to wear them a couple times and I don't even know where they are now.

I just gave up trying to correct my vision. I now use all black rear sights with a fiber optic front sight. Even though the front sight is still fuzzy the combination black rear and FO front makes them easier to pick up and align faster.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I wear progressive lens and have not had that problem. You might want to check on the progressive lens. they do take some getting used to, but seem to be better then the bifocals I had.

Reactions: PEF

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. I shoot better without my glasses. I can see my front sight without glasses, but the target is not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,034 Posts
I have been wearing contacts for many years and have no problem with the sights but if I switch to my glasses (bifocals) I cannot see the sights with either lens.

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I'm 64 and I can see the front sight clearly enough to shoot well. Is it sharp and in focus? Nope. Does it stand out clearly from the rear sight. Absolutely. I do wear reading glasses and have a separate set for the computer.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
I tried progressive lenses once for a short time. Really tried to learn to use them. No way could I focus on anything at any distance. this made grocery shopping sheer torture! Now I have trifocals with the trifocal (computer and front sight distance) made larger and higher than any "normal" pair of glasses. the only time this is a problem is when I'm driving I have to tip my head down a tad bit. I don't drive much. I use the computer and shoot a LOT more than I drive, and that mid distance lense is the once that is most used.

I also have a pair of safety glasses for on the range with only the mid range distance ground in the lenses, because when on the range I won't shoot without the wrap around side pieces that come with safety glasses frames. Yeah, the target is blurry, but "center of mass" is pretty easy to aim for, blur or no blur.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Progressive lenses are the answer.

I used to see...before computers were integrated into the work environment. Then cathode ray monitors ruined my vision years before it would have decline naturally. Too late now though. Someday a gazillion people are going to file a class action lawsuit
against the display monitor makers for ruining everyone's eyes.

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
I'm good out to about 10 yards. I'm challenged these days by distance shooting. Was shooting a .22 today with a scope at 75 yards and blah.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It's time for new glasses. If I can afford it and the optician will do it I'm going to try the bifocals on bottom and a second bifocal of near to a trifocal magnification up top for shooting and those tasks performed at extreme arms length and overhead. Installing a new kitchen faucet is a PITA with normal bifocals.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I certainly seem to conform to the old adage "blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other."

I've been wearing progressive bifocals for about 15 years and have no problem with my front sight distance.. That's probably because I usually have my eye doctors set my transition focus at front sight distance.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Same story here. I wear progressive trifocals and fought to either see my sites clearly or the target. Couldn't have them both in focus. I installed a set of XS Big Dot sites on my M&P9C and it solved my problem.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Progressive lenses are the answer.

I used to see...before computers were integrated into the work environment. Then cathode ray monitors ruined my vision years before it would have decline naturally. Too late now though. Someday a gazillion people are going to file a class action lawsuit
against the display monitor makers for ruining everyone's eyes.
I guess you are unique...age has not hurt your vision.

Plenty of people have been in front of monitors for years and not had their vision ruined...but their vision has degraded due to age.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know what you mean, I've always struggled with my eyesight until I had surgery about 23 years ago. For 20 years I had no prescription lens, then I started to have trouble again. I tried contacts and they helped for awhile but my sight was changing so much that I went in to see about having Lasik to touch my vision. After a 2.5 hrs exam they said you don't need Lasik you need cataract surgery! I was 50!!!!

So at my age I decided to paid extra to have multi focus lens implants which allows me to function without any prescriptions or reading glasses and they work great As long as I shoot with both eyes open, if I close my left eye (I'm right eye dominant) then the front sight can be fuzzy in dimmer light. My right eye's lens is more for distance so need to use both eyes to shoot which I do anyway. And I did not realize how dingy colors had gotten, white is white again not a dingy brown.

I hope if anyone has to go through cataract surgery it as successful as mine has been.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I went to the ophthalmologist yesterday. New insurance with only a $10 co-pay.:22a: Only a minor prescription change. Also talked to the optician and went with lenses called occupational bifocal lenses. These lenses have bifocals on the top and bottom. Gonna look a little strange but WTH. Put the full bifocal strength on bottom and 2/3 of full strength on top to see pistol sights. If it doesn't work, again WTH, it's only money. There were some compromises that had to be made. I couldn't get polycarbonate lenses or transitions. Had to go with plastic and scratch resistant coating at safety glass thickness. Since I couldn't get the polycarbonate and transitions these turned out to be the cheapest glasses I've ever bought. I'll get to find out if this was a good idea in a few days.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
These days they make progressive lenses for short distances. The company that makes mine makes three different distances: reading, computer, and room distance. Mine are computer distance and they're perfect for shooting handguns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts