Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in a county owned building that is surrounded by a county park. There is a no weapons sign on my building so if I do decide to CCW I can't carry in my office. Unique to my building is that the 53 acres surrounding is a county park. The big park sign says no firearms. Can I keep my pistol parked in the car in where I work? There is no alternative parking since this park and my office are in a rural setting.

Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Ohio. If it truly is the case that I can't keep my (yet to be purchased) pistol in the car then I am basically out of luck for CCW then. 75% of my life is either driving to or from work... going from work to somewhere else... or going to work from somewhere else. I have rifles at home for "home protection" and rarely go from home anywhere! What good would a CCW be then if I could rarely ever carry?

·
8,501 Posts
As I understand it Ohio has preemption so there are no local laws that override state law on the matter. I believe that in Ohio it is legal to CC on state/local government property as long as you do not enter any closed structure (other than a free standing restroom). So I question the legality of the no guns sign. You can probably have them remove the sign if you go about it the right way.

However, I am not a lawyer and I would check very carefully before CCing to work because signs do carry the weight of law. I know just recently that Ohio had to remove all their no gun signs at rest stops because of the above mention wording. Someone will be along shortly with the actual code.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should re-clarify that I work in a County owned building in a County park. I'll ask a county park ranger... they all seem nice enough.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I am not a lawyer.

But, you can research government buildings, state pre-emption, prohibited places, legal signage, and parking areas in the ORC.

Go to your county sheriff, and ask for a CHL handbook (can also be found on the Attorney General's website.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
In Nebraska, one is allowed to store a handgun in a locked container inside a locked vehicle in the parking lot of locations where handguns are otherwise prohibited, if the parking lot is publicly accessible. For example, you can't carry in a school, but you can have it locked in your car in the school parking lot. That doesn't protect you from workplace policies though. For example, a teacher with a CHP would be fired for having a gun on school grounds because it violates workplace rules.

I'm prohibited from carrying in my company facility, but can have it in the car in the lot. As a result, I rarely carry on a workday.

As others have said, every state is different and all are probably quirky enough to have esoteric rules that can trip you up if you are not careful. This was covered in depth in my CHP class, hopefully they offered you resources to research this stuff for Ohio.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I went to the state of Ohio website. It wasn't specific enough about my situation.
And that's how the Ohio Revised code always is.

As another poster pointed out, there is the question of legality, and also employer regulation issues, which very well may be different.

·
8,501 Posts
I went to the state of Ohio website. It wasn't specific enough about my situation.
Another place to ask is here. Maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Ohio CCW Information Center

Also, I wouldn't ask the park ranger. He probably put up the signs. If you ask anyone it should be someone higher up the legal food chain. I suggest either the county DA office or call your local state representatives office. State politicians have staffers that will really get you on the right track.

Reactions: NH_Esau

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I read somewhere anything that is not illegal is legal.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
IANAL, but from looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf Ohio has preemption and carry in State Parks is legal, just not in buildings. From what I read on your preemption, it doesn't appear it gives the county authority to over ride state law. You might also want to check with your state grassroots organization on the matter.

·
8,501 Posts
IANAL, but from looking at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf Ohio has preemption and carry in State Parks is legal, just not in buildings. From what I read on your preemption, it doesn't appear it gives the county authority to over ride state law. You might also want to check with your state grassroots organization on the matter.
This is what I think too. The problem is that signs do carry the weight of law in Ohio and since it says no guns it is illegal to carry there.

It seems to me that it is illegal to have the no guns sign and it is also illegal to carry there because of the no guns sign. The way to fix it is to get the sign removed BEFORE you carry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I was just planning on locking the gun in the car while at work. Driving from work to the range, that sort of thing. No plan on carrying at work.

·
Registered
281 Posts
All parks are legal in Ohio. No political subdivision of the state (cities, counties, regional parks systems, etc) can have any law or rule regulating possession or carry of firearms. State law says you can't enter government buildings with the exception of shelters and rest rooms but all the park property otherwise is legal. The one exception to this is land controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.

However, even though it is legal to store your gun in your car, your employee handbook might say otherwise. You won't be violating any law but you could lose your job if they found out about it.

The big park sign says no firearms.
This sign violates state preemption and is not enforceable.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It seems to me that it is illegal to have the no guns sign and it is also illegal to carry there because of the no guns sign.
Enforcing an illegal sign would be very expensive for the county since the preemption law provides for reimbursement of legal fees if someone illegally arrested were to sue.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Ah yes.... well...

Tennessee just added a new parking lot law.... you know, for safe commute...

Problem is, if your employer has a policy of no guns on company premises, you can be fired for having a gun in their parking lot. At least according to the AG of TN.

So, now, in Ohio, you work for the county.... you are not a citizen/person using the park, you are an employee of the park (or the county)... Does your EMPLOYER have a no weapons policy? They may not be able to stop the general public... But you, while you are working for them, are not the general public, you are an employee... And generally, employees have no rights not granted to them under a contract (Union or otherwise). And if Ohio is a "right to work" state and you are are an "at will" employee... They can fire you for any reason... looking at them crosseyed, asking what their firearms policy is, or showing up with a gun in your car...

I wouldn't ask a park ranger. I wouldn't ask the State. I would ask a lawyer.

·
8,501 Posts
All parks are legal in Ohio. No political subdivision of the state (cities, counties, regional parks systems, etc) can have any law or rule regulating possession or carry of firearms. State law says you can't enter government buildings with the exception of shelters and rest rooms but all the park property otherwise is legal. The one exception to this is land controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.

However, even though it is legal to store your gun in your car, your employee handbook might say otherwise. You won't be violating any law but you could lose your job if they found out about it.

This sign violates state preemption and is not enforceable.
Enforcing an illegal sign would be very expensive for the county since the preemption law provides for reimbursement of legal fees if someone illegally arrested were to sue.
I like your take on it, but to be honest I don't ever want to be a test case.

Can you post the code you are referring to please? I too have a local park with a no gun sign and I would like to have the right section of law when I go to the town hall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts