Defensive Carry banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
There may be more truth than we'd like in what happened. If I were writing a hack, and mind you I don't do such things, I would sit on the log in que, go from one log in to another, log the one of interest out, log in with their credentials, copy any personal info, log out, then move to the next person logged in.

It should stand as a lesson that any personal info is NEVER secure - unless you keep it in your head and a cyanide pill in your pocket. :embarassed:
I suspect a more simple issue assuming DC is hosted. Typical to use hardware called a load balancer between the users and the servers. The appliance moves sessions around between servers. This process is normally seamless. Until an engineer ignorantly changes things on the fly. That is my suspicion.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
When I came directly here I was logged out. Then when I logged in all was good until I changed the page. Then I was logged off again. At least most of the time.
There was a brief period I was able to PM a mod and told them to contact @Cricket or whoever, but no reply...

In trying to get here a different way I started clicking on my email notifications. I was Jiva. I was Rock and Glock. I was Militant. Whoever's email notification I clicked on to follow the thread, when I arrived here that's who I was.
Is this still happening tonight?

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
P.S. This was not a hack, nor did anyone actually have access to someone else's account. It was simply a cache issue with Cloudflare.
I ay ave hay o nay dea iay at whay at thay eans may but thanks ! (Pig Latin, learned it deciphering my parents conversations from the back seat of the family car in a time and land far far away) Again thanks and take care.

·
Registered
34,771 Posts
Reactions: OldChap

·
Administrator
143,478 Posts
I don't have an active email on my phone and I delete all voicemail messages
My phone is for people who know me and they all send me text messages.
I only reply to text messages.
One member was able to send an email message to my wife's phone though.
Didn't see it as any problem though as it was from a trusted forum member.

I buy quite a bit on Ebay and all my ebay messages and notifications go to a decades old AOL email address and I just hit that every blue moon and do a mass delete.

I refuse to be joined at the hip with my phone.

I have no passwords saved on my phone so I just stay logged in here even when I'm not on the forum.

For every ebay purchase I just enter my paypal password in every time.

If my phone was ever to get stolen...highly unlikely I don't want some crook buying a car using my paypal on file credit card.
Somebody will need to hack my :nono: finger off in order to access my phone.
I have never taken a selfie...I already know what I look like.
That selfie camera is covered with a dot of black lacquer.

And I do no on line banking on any computer or phone.
I don't trust technology that's smarter than I am.

·
Registered
407 Posts
P.S. This was not a hack, nor did anyone actually have access to someone else's account. It was simply a cache issue with Cloudflare.
Who cares if someone had access to someone elses DCF account. What I am ticked about is that YOUR site allowed or possibly allowed another member to see my email address. That is the problem. Do NOT try to minimize this screw up whomever was responsible.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Who cares if someone had access to someone elses DCF account. What I am ticked about is that YOUR site allowed or possibly allowed another member to see my email address. That is the problem. Do NOT try to minimize this screw up whomever was responsible.
Cricket said the problem was the Cache. That is not necessarily a human error. I have run into cache errors when software gets updated and cache errors are easily fixed. Don't be so hard on Moderators and Administrators. After all you joined our online community four months ago at no cost, no membership application, no background check, no psychological test, and we welcomed you sight unseen. DCF is a public online community devoted to the 2nd Amendment on related topics. The only thing you have to do is follow the forum rules. This forum is not the Ashley Madison community where its members PAY for discretion to cheat on spouse or significant other.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cricket said the problem was the Cache. That is not necessarily a human error. I have run into cache errors when software gets updated and cache errors are easily fixed. Don't be so hard on Moderators and Administrators. After all you joined our online community four months ago at no cost, no membership application, no background check, no psychological test, and we welcomed you sight unseen. DCF is a public online community devoted to the 2nd Amendment on related topics. The only thing you have to do is follow the forum rules. This forum is not the Ashley Madison community where its members PAY for discretion to cheat on spouse or significant other.
I am not being hard on any individual. I am stating that if someone thinks this is a forgivable oopsie, then all power to them I do not. My EMAIL most likely got to another member which contains identifiable information.

I did not point a finger at ANY mod or administrator for this error. I know it is not within the left and right limits of their control. I never mentioned that it was caused by a human as well.

I am much less forgiving and trusting of anything that allows this to happen and passes it off as an OOPSIE.

Whether you pay for a site or service is not relevant at all to the responsibility of the owners of the product to protect your information.

I assume that "contributing" members had their information accidentally disclosed as well. In fact, I know that for a fact since I do have someone's email address which I got by accident.

I am not slamming anyone at all, Just saying that the situation is not something to gloss over.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I was once one of the moderators not an administrator on a fly fishing forum. I was in contact with the administrator, and the amount of technical/computer knowledge needed to keep a forum online made my head spin. Way above my pay grade (which was nothing). I doubt the administrators here are getting paid much, if anything. Heck, just the amount of trouble being a paltry moderator of a tiny forum was overwhelming and not worth the time and/or effort.
Osprey -- you joined for free. Your precious info is all over the web if you go to any website. Get over being "ticked" or leave is my opinion. Try Facebook. It doesn't give your info to anyone. </sarcasm> :biggrin2:

<crosspost, but I'll let it stand>

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I am not being hard on any individual. I am stating that if someone thinks this is a forgivable oopsie, then all power to them I do not. My EMAIL most likely got to another member which contains identifiable information.

I did not point a finger at ANY mod or administrator for this error. I know it is not within the left and right limits of their control. I never mentioned that it was caused by a human as well.

I am much less forgiving and trusting of anything that allows this to happen and passes it off as an OOPSIE.
The only sure way to prevent any glitches is to never log on to the internet.

You said you didn't mention it was caused by human error, so what exactly do you expect Cricket to do about it?

It was a server error and pretty mild one at that. If someone got my e-mail address, I don't consider that a big deal. I get a lot of e-mails every day that I delete.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Of all the things you said, I disagree with most of them. But this is the worst:

Whether you pay for a site or service is not relevant at all to the responsibility of the owners of the product to protect your information.
No! You are responsible for protecting your information, not the Mods or Administrators. You could have used an email address without identifiable information. But you did not! That was solely your decision. The buck stops with you.

When you joined this site for free, you did not sign a contract that protects your information. Likewise, you did not ask the DCF community for permission to join us. DCF is an open community and you were welcomed. You are the only person responsible for protecting yourself. No one here has made you such a promise.

You and only you are responsible for your own safety whether on the street, in your home or online. If you feel that DCF is inadequate, you can chose another forum.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Well, that was a roller coaster. Finally able to log in again!!! :danceban:

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
34,771 Posts
Reactions: Recon1342
41 - 58 of 58 Posts