Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at 7pm these two salesman claiming to be from ADT showed up at my front door. They knew somehow that I recently purchased a home and wanted to come inside about installing a new security system and that I was eligible for a credit. They did wear a badge but didn't have any official ADT uniforms. I told them I was not interested but they kept being super persistent. I blocked the front door from them trying to look inside and they asked how many people and animals lived with me.

They kept going on and on about what if this and what if that... I got tired of them and told them to leave. They eventually left in a huff and crept slowly along the road as they pulled out.

I called ADT and they have no record of any employees by those names but suggested they could be 3rd party salesman...

The whole thing was bizarre and I did end up staying up later than normal, watching the road from my front porch.

I guess its time to set up some No Solicitation signs up including cameras. I really hate door to door salesman if they were legit.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Yeah we have had some of that ilk local selling windows or the such ..Need to get signs etc ..They could be casing the joint ..

What is weirder is the local UPS contract guys are using unmarked vans etc now ...Great just great

I found the best way to deal with door to door is a lack of clothing they tend to run in the face of a fat guy with limited clothing .....

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Potential robbers is my vote.
I haven’t seen a non religious soliciting salesman at the door for years. Most soliciting is done by phone or internet now a days.
Those unmarked fedex delivery vehicles had me concerned some months back
Stay on your toes. Just because they didn’t come back that night doesn’t mean your not on the list .

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Being cautious, with who knows running around our country, is wise. There are probably new scams being invented daily to separate us from our belongings that we've never heard of.

Reactions: The Old Anglo

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
I had a pair from "ADT" also. These did have ADT polos on. I told them I already had ADT and the cameras worked fine. Didn't hear any more from them.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Last night at 7pm these two salesman claiming to be from ADT showed up at my front door. They knew somehow that I recently purchased a home and wanted to come inside about installing a new security system and that I was eligible for a credit. They did wear a badge but didn't have any official ADT uniforms. I told them I was not interested but they kept being super persistent. I blocked the front door from them trying to look inside and they asked how many people and animals lived with me.

They kept going on and on about what if this and what if that... I got tired of them and told them to leave. They eventually left in a huff and crept slowly along the road as they pulled out.

I called ADT and they have no record of any employees by those names but suggested they could be 3rd party salesman...

The whole thing was bizarre and I did end up staying up later than normal, watching the road from my front porch.

I guess its time to set up some No Solicitation signs up including cameras. I really hate door to door salesman if they were legit.
Sales men. 3rd party. Sleep well.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Potential robbers is my vote.
I haven’t seen a non religious soliciting salesman at the door for years. Most soliciting is done by phone or internet now a days.
Those unmarked fedex delivery vehicles had me concerned some months back
Stay on your toes. Just because they didn’t come back that night doesn’t mean your not on the list .
If I don't get at least 3 solar panel guys ringing my doorbell weekly I start to worry my subdivision is going downhill. Lol I just ran off one about 10 minutes ago. As for the Mormons and Jehova Witnesses they gave up a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Good you ran them off. Many here forget/don't know George Floyd's, "still in effect FELONY conviction*", involved him/thug crew "wearing gas company shirt's" to gain entry to a home and "pistol whip a pregnant women" during "armed robbery". He may be pardoned** on a "drug charge", so many will just think that make's him O K, BUT THIS ain't going away!

*sorry for thread drift/rant: carry on!

** George Floyd recommended for posthumous pardon on drug conviction

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
My family has been living on our property since 1966, and the number of door-to-door salesmen over the years is less than the fingers on one hand.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Solar and alarm company is the usual around here.
1. I'm a renter
2. The house is on the market
3. Wife just filed for divorce
That usually covers it.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
My standard answer is no. NO. The question or service is irrelevant. Never have and never will purchase from a door-to-door salesman.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Last time I can recall anyone buying from a door-to-door sales person is my mother buying from the Fuller Brush man and the Charles Chips man.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As for the Mormons and Jehova Witnesses they gave up a long time ago.
A friend lived down a nice quiet road in the country, until the Jehova Witnesses built off the highway just a couple hundred yards from his country home. And then he started getting unwanted visits from them. So he did some research. The next time they knocked on his door, he told them (paraphrasing), "I used to be a JH but I've since decided it wasn't what I want." The apparent interpretation is that he was now considered as "possessed by the devil." The JH never came back so I guess it worked.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I had a pair from "ADT" also. These did have ADT polos on. I told them I already had ADT and the cameras worked fine. Didn't hear any more from them.
"I told them I already had ADT and the cameras worked fine."
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
I put a sign on the inside of the glass on my front door in February of 2020 when we got back from SE Asia:

"WARNING: CORONAVIRUS QUARANTINE"

My security camera still catches them walking up to the front door and they reach out to press the doorbell button, at which time they see the sign, don't press the button, and quickly turn around and walk away...

We self-quarantined all of February, but I never took the sign down since it had such a nice side effect... :)

If someone asks if I'm still infectious, I'll say, "Don't know... Let me cough on you and we'll find out..."

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Get one of those ADT yard signs from eBay. That'll discourage the creeps masquerading as "door to door peddlers." After all, it's the costume season.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
It was probably nothing but here's how I look at it: This is 2021 and anyone going door to door is suspect right out of the gate. Secondly, the only people who wear id badges when there are away from the office are goofballs ( goofball= suspicious). Id badges and moniker shirts? Thats trying to hard

Like I said, it was probably nothing but I would not have given them the time of day and I would have let them see me take their photo.

The last yahoo that showed up at my house to sell meat, got to see me photo his plate, his vin ( and him). ;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts